ADVERTISEMENT

Best BBQ in the State

Here's my contribution to this thread . .

NC-Barbecue-300x225.jpg

There’s a new barbecue restaurant in Wilson that I’m hearing good things about although I haven’t eaten there. It’s called Marty’s and I believe Marty is the son of Bill Ellis of Bill’s Barbecue fame in Wilson. I don’t think they cook over wood, but, again, I’m hearing good things if anyone is down that way.

Reactions: randman1
There’s a new barbecue restaurant in Wilson that I’m hearing good things about although I haven’t eaten there. It’s called Marty’s and I believe Marty is the son of Bill Ellis of Bill’s Barbecue fame in Wilson. I don’t think they cook over wood, but, again, I’m hearing good things if anyone is down that way.

Very good; no wood. Yes, Lawrence is Bill’s oldest son. The restaurant is named for his late brother Marty, which is a wonderful tribute. Huge lines that wrap around the building. You should visit the “Friends of ...” Facebook page. It’s an hysterical hot mess of folks fighting over slaw.

Reactions: grillheel
Was in Lexington today and got the worst plate of North Carolina BBQ I've ever had. I heard about Speedy's Barbecue in Our State Magazine and my wife and I thought we would give it a try. When we walked in I asked the lady if they cooked with wood and she told me they didn't and I wanted to leave but my wife talked me into eating, Honest, the BBQ had no taste at all, no pork taste, no smoke, nothing. It tasted like the pork had been boiled, the cup of dip they brought helped some.. I will say this, they served the biggest portions of any place I have ever been. I bet I left over a pound of BBQ on my plate when we left. If you're ever in the area, give this place a pass.

Reactions: BillyL
Was in Lexington today and got the worst plate of North Carolina BBQ I've ever had. I heard about Speedy's Barbecue in Our State Magazine and my wife and I thought we would give it a try. When we walked in I asked the lady if they cooked with wood and she told me they didn't and I wanted to leave but my wife talked me into eating, Honest, the BBQ had no taste at all, no pork taste, no smoke, nothing. It tasted like the pork had been boiled, the cup of dip they brought helped some.. I will say this, they served the biggest portions of any place I have ever been. I bet I left over a pound of BBQ on my plate when we left. If you're ever in the area, give this place a pass.
Ouch.

If y’all ever pass through Gastonia then give Black’s BBQ a try. It’s strictly a local thing and not what you think of when it comes to traditional bbq. The showstopper is the bbq slaw which they put on top of sliced pork and then place the sandwich in bun toaster. Shit is off the chain!!! I also buy their slaw by the quart and use as a side or dip.

If y’all ever pass through Gastonia then give Black’s BBQ a try. It’s strictly a local thing and not what you think of when it comes to traditional bbq. The showstopper is the bbq slaw which they put on top of sliced pork and then place the sandwich in bun toaster. Shit is off the chain!!! I also buy their slaw by the quart and use as a side or dip.
I've eaten at Kyle Fletcher's in "Gastonia" (really it's Lowell) a couple times. Carolina memorabilia all over the wall and they serve Sun Drop. It's certainly not the best (hell, I'd say Smithfield's is quite better), but it's still damn good because it's barbecue. I ain't picky. It's just a bit dry is its problem.

Yeah Kyle is a huge Heels fan. And you’re right it’s hit or miss there. Some days your like damn that’s damn good Q then other days it’s just alright.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
1). woah.
2). It's ALL varying degrees of good. None of it is "bad."
Your opinion on food is useless here because you microwave hotdogs. You also make stupid staments such as...

I'd say Smithfield's is quite better

Smithfield is decent, but that's kind of like saying you can get a great burger at burger king. Smithfield is the equivalent of a fast food joint for BBQ.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Your opinion on food is useless here because you microwave hotdogs. You also make stupid staments such as...

Smithfield is decent, but that's kind of like saying you can get a great burger at burger king. Smithfield is the equivalent of a fast food joint for BBQ.
Smithfield is better than Kyle Fletcher's. But both are good because they're both barbecue.

But you gotta remember, I live in Georgia and when I do get up to N.C., it's never practical for me to get over to Goldsboro or further east to go to THE spots. So I'm not gonna be as choosy or selective. It's all good stuff to me baby.

The wood vs electric snobs crack me up.
This is pretty asinine, even for you. Its pretty bad if you can’t tell the difference between something wood-fired or even charcoal vs electric or gas grill.

That’s the difference in skill between UNC football and the ‘85 Bears.

Reactions: UNC71-00
This is pretty asinine, even for you. Its pretty bad if you can’t tell the difference between something wood-fired or even charcoal vs electric or gas grill.

That’s the difference in skill between UNC football and the ‘85 Bears.
He never said he can't tell the difference. He's just saying he isn't picky because at the end of the day, it's still barbecue...in North Carolina. Wood fired may be better, but it's not like the other methods aren't good. The dude lives in Georgia, and he's not surrounded by NC barbecue, so he'll take what he can get. That's all he's pretty much saying.

He never said he can't tell the difference. He's just saying he isn't picky because at the end of the day, it's still barbecue...in North Carolina. Wood fired may be better, but it's not like the other methods aren't good. The dude lives in Georgia, and he's not surrounded by NC barbecue, so he'll take what he can get. That's all he's pretty much saying.
I'm glad someone on here can still speak English. Thank you.

And like I said, it's ALL varying degrees of good to me. I would never walk into a place and then walk out if they don't cook on wood. The fukk? Lol. I'm gonna be 3 feet from barbecue and then willingly turn around and not eat it? Who am I, Gandhi?

This NYC tourist went to the Q Shack in Durham and thought it was incredible.

Proceed to mock me, I think I deserve it.

As if you already didn't look bad enough. ****ing mustard sauce.
I was grossed out by the thought of it as well, but I was at a restaurant in Charleston and not much else on the menu looked too appealing to me, so I decided "when in Rome." I was actually pleasantly surprised. Definitely a much different taste, but still good in its own way.

Get off my nuts. Why don't you make it to a football game ever so we can talk trash in person like real men.

I was grossed out by the thought of it as well, but I was at a restaurant in Charleston and not much else on the menu looked too appealing to me, so I decided "when in Rome." I was actually pleasantly surprised. Definitely a much different taste, but still good in its own way.
Whatever floats your boat. (could that be an entry to the old saying thread?)

Get off my nuts. Why don't you make it to a football game ever so we can talk trash in person like real men.
You were supposed to pick me up on Peachtree last year, but never did. Don't act like I didn't try to go. And let's be honest, you're not a real man.

2). It's ALL varying degrees of good. None of it is "bad."

I agree with that. It's hard to botch bbq.

I'd say a better analogy would be Five Guys. Smithfield is only "fast food" in the same way Five Guys is. And I too like Smithfield and think they are as good at making bbq as Five Guys is at making burgers.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
It was good aswell. I love all barbecue. Even dabbled with the mustard sauce in Charleston a couple weeks ago.

Melvins? That place is the bomb. I have no problem with mustard base either. I've been ridiculed for stating such in the past. Check out Maurice's in Columbia (that is if you have to go to Columbia in the first place).

Melvins? That place is the bomb. I have no problem with mustard base either. I've been ridiculed for stating such in the past. Check out Maurice's in Columbia (that is if you have to go to Columbia in the first place).
Magnolia's. And other than if UNC plays in Columbia, I have no reason to ever go there (unless I'm looking to get robbed).

Magnolia's. And other than if UNC plays in Columbia, I have no reason to ever go there (unless I'm looking to get robbed).

Magnolia's. Decent spot. I think it's a bit overrated as many of the joints on Meeting St and East Bay St are. That's not to say they aren't good. But they get all the love and there are many better spots off the beaten path.

Magnolia's. Decent spot. I think it's a bit overrated as many of the joints on Meeting St and East Bay St are. That's not to say they aren't good. But they get all the love and there are many better spots off the beaten path.
I would agree with your assessment. It wasn't as good as the person recommending it made it out to be. Still a decent meal, though. I even ate some of the collards.

I'd say a better analogy would be Five Guys. Smithfield is only "fast food" in the same way Five Guys is. And I too like Smithfield and think they are as good at making bbq as Five Guys is at making burgers.
5 guys is the equivalent of duke's recruiting. All hype, with underwhelming results. Amirite @tw3301?

I agree with that. It's hard to botch bbq.

This guy gets it. Is Smithfield Wilbur's or one of the legends? No. Is it as damn far away from it that it's trash, like y'all make it out to be? No. Smithfield is far better than anything you can get in Georgia, if you're talking pulled pork.

If Wilbur's and the other establishments are 10/10; Smithfield is at worst a 7.5/10. If you argue it's worse, you're just being snobby for the hell of it.

This guy gets it. Is Smithfield Wilbur's or one of the legends? No. Is it as damn far away from it that it's trash, like y'all make it out to be? No. Smithfield is far better than anything you can get in Georgia, if you're talking pulled pork.

If Wilbur's and the other establishments are 10/10; Smithfield is at worst a 7.5/10. If you argue it's worse, you're just being snobby for the hell of it.
Kind of hard for you to give it a grade without trying other places. If we're talking strictly BBQ and not sides, Smithfield is probably a 6.5. You throw sides into the mix and it loses another point. I'm not trying to say it's horrible, just that it's not great BBQ. It's average. It's where you go when you don't have much choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT