ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back the RPT

20993923_346451029199698_284644506500497182_n.jpg

Reactions: Raising Heel
The Cassini spacecraft crashed into Saturn this morning. It was a planned crash after almost two decades in space. This is a pretty cool article about it. It's kind of scientific, but the pictures included are awesome so it's worth at least scrolling through to look at.

The Cassini spacecraft crashed into Saturn this morning. It was a planned crash after almost two decades in space. This is a pretty cool article about it. It's kind of scientific, but the pictures included are awesome so it's worth at least scrolling through to look at.
One little tidbit I thought was cool from the article I read yesterday: There's a permanent storm at the north pole of Saturn that's bigger than our planet. Take that, puny Earth hurricanes.

Oh, and it's hexagonal.

giphy.gif

Great article. I'm still reading, but this passage stuck out as a true marvel of engineering.

"Launched on October 15, 1997, Cassini traveled for six years and 261 days before reaching Saturn. Though the sixth planet lies an average of 890 million miles from Earth, Cassini flew some 2.2 billion miles to get there via the scenic route: orbiting the sun to fly by Venus twice, then Earth, then to a gravity assist maneuver at Jupiter before reaching its destination."

Question I'm too lazy to look up: the article makes mention of seasons and equinoxes. Does that mean that Saturn wobbles on its axis like Earth? How common is that among the other planets in our solar system, or our galaxy or universe?

ETA: Fascinating and well-written article. Thanks for the share.

Last edited:
Does that mean that Saturn wobbles on its axis like Earth?
If I'm understanding this correctly, this article says Saturn doesn't wobble because "Saturn’s magnetic field is aligned with its rotational axis so there is no wobble effect."

How common is that among the other planets in our solar system, or our galaxy or universe?
Couldn't find anything saying if it's a common occurrence, but it does happen throughout the universe.

If I'm understanding this correctly, this article says Saturn doesn't wobble because "Saturn’s magnetic field is aligned with its rotational axis so there is no wobble effect."
Thanks. Not to derail this thread, but now I'm having trouble understanding how Saturn can have seasons or an equinox or solstices if there's no wobble. I can find several articles that refer to these phenomena but none that explain how they occur in the absence of an irregular axis. Hmm....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT