ADVERTISEMENT

Call-It . . . Mayweather - Pacquiao . . .

Pacquiao with the KO. He's not going to TKO Mayweather and if goes to a decision, it's more likely for Hell to start selling snow cones than it is for Pacquiao to win a decision.

Mayweather,

Pacquio has a suspect chin. Two fights ago he was completely knocked down and out. Fight won't go to a decision.

my gut tells me floyd in a decision...would like to see manny knock him the ef out, but i don't know how he can catch floyd to hurt him.

I don't follow boxing too closely, but obviously have heard a lot about this matchup. To me it feels a lot like the Rocky Balboa / Clubber Lang matchup. I say that because Pacquio is doing the celebrity thing and a likeable guy. I think he even holds a political office back home. Mayweather seems to be focused on just the fight and doesn't seem as likeable. That said, as much as I hope Pacquio wins, I think Mayweather will. Though anyone who's seen me try to pick sporting event outcomes knows I am usually wrong...

I think Floyd is going to beat him and win in a decision. I'm not sure it will even be all that close. I will be pulling for Manny but Mayweather is just too good. I love watching him fight despite the fact there area lot of things about him I don't like.

Manny has wanted this fight for a couple years now IIRC. I think he is motivated to be ready for Floyd and wants to win very badly, sometimes the most motivated have an edge and that puts them in a place to win. I'd like to see this one go the distance and be a great fight.

Pacquiao in a decision.

I think Floyd is going to beat him and win in a decision. I'm not sure it will even be all that close. I will be pulling for Manny but Mayweather is just too good. I love watching him fight despite the fact there area lot of things about him I don't like.
I agree with this. Pacquiao is over the hill, so Mayweather picked a good time to finally do it.

I am SO FREAKIN' STOKED about this fight. I haven't been this excited about a boxing match since the late 80s. This is truly one of the sports biggest fights in it's history. I have a friend, a woman, who is a huge boxing fan and she is ordering the PPV. She's invited me over. I cannot wait until Sat night.

The first few rounds of this fight will tell the whole story. Manny will come out guns blazing. He has to. He has to win 4 out of the first 6 rounds to have any chance at a decision. Floyd usually gets better defensively as the fight goes on. I could see this fight turning out in many different ways. I could see a Manny KO simply because Manny has that kind of power. Floyd's chin has only been tested once and that was against an aging Shane Mosely. And because Manny throws his punches from odd angles, Floyd may not see everything coming. I could also see a Manny win by decision. His activity level - especially early - may be enough to get the judges to give him rounds even if he doesn't hurt Floyd. And I can see a Floyd decision (most probable). Floyd's just a defensive genius and the best counterpuncher I've ever witnessed. The one outcome I don't see happening is Floyd wins by KO. He just doesn't have the power of a Juan Manuel Marquez. To the poster that questioned Manny's chin - WTF are you talking about? Manny has been hit with sledgehammers and not gone down before. I don't see Floyd really being able to hurt him that bad. It could happen if Manny gets impatient and becomes too aggressive though. It's dicey for Manny because to win he has to be aggressive but against Floyd, that's a serious risk.

I want Manny to win so bad because I just love the guy. And while Floyd has been a serious jerk his whole career, I respect the sh*t out of him and there are times when I kind of like him because he is exactly what boxing has always represented to me. If you put a gun to my head, I'll say Floyd wins a split decision.

Pac, as there is a rematch clause for Floyd if he loses. Mayweather would be a fool not to lose this fight- a loss is worth 8-9 figures. How can anyone walk away from that?

The trick is going to be to make it look close.

Pac, as there is a rematch clause for Floyd if he loses. Mayweather would be a fool not to lose this fight- a loss is worth 8-9 figures. How can anyone walk away from that?

The trick is going to be to make it look close.
but... he's two wins away from tying Rocky Marciano at 49-0, plus he already has gazillions of dollars, so wouldn't you think that he'd rather preserve his legacy and retire undefeated? Isn't that why he dodged Manny for years? He didn't want to risk losing to him while Manny was still in his prime, so he can fight him now and rake in the cash. Hell, he could keep it close so that the boxing world might be willing to pay for a rematch if they think Manny has a chance the next time.

but... he's two wins away from tying Rocky Marciano at 49-0, plus he already has gazillions of dollars, so wouldn't you think that he'd rather preserve his legacy and retire undefeated? Isn't that why he dodged Manny for years? He didn't want to risk losing to him while Manny was still in his prime, so he can fight him now and rake in the cash. Hell, he could keep it close so that the boxing world might be willing to pay for a rematch if they think Manny has a chance the next time.

Floyd is a great fighter. But the notion that he's so good that he can dictate how close or how much of a margin he beats Manny by is absurd. This will undoubtedly be the toughest fight of Floyd's career. He's in it to win it. There's no way he'd consider losing on purpose to set up a rematch. There's also no way he'd not go all out in hopes of making it close. Floyd is a jerk, but he's also a professional.

Floyd is a great fighter. But the notion that he's so good that he can dictate how close or how much of a margin he beats Manny by is absurd. This will undoubtedly be the toughest fight of Floyd's career. He's in it to win it. There's no way he'd consider losing on purpose to set up a rematch. There's also no way he'd not go all out in hopes of making it close. Floyd is a jerk, but he's also a professional.
I don't really keep up with boxing anymore, and i don't plan on watching it. But it sounds like you keep up with, and know the fighters... I don't necessarily think Mayweather could dictate whether or not he could win a close bout or not either, but was just replying to the previous poster who stated that he thought Mayweather would be smart to throw the fight in order to set up a rematch for even bigger money.

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy I work with who is a former boxer (he once held the IBF welterweight title...also was going to fight Micket Ward when Ward was making his comback but was only offered 20k to fight him. He said heck no, I getting in the ring with Ward for that small amount...but thats another story) and he is excited about the fight. He said the biggest decision of the fight is the referee, Kenny Bayless. He says Bayless is in Mayweathers house...so to speak. Bayless does not like clinching by fighters. He is so quick to break up a clinch...even if the fighters have an arm free. This is going to effect the fight because thats what Pacman likes to do...get inside, throw some combo's and then get out. Mayweather, on the other hand, doesnt like inside fighting and will clinch as soon as he can to keep from letting his opponent get inside on him. Many times, a fighter will clinch just to close enough to land some body shots. Pacman fights like that and with Bayless as referee, Pacman will gave difficulties getting inside.

Also, the size of the ring, the type of mat in the ring is important as well as the glove size.

I want Pacman to win but if I had to bet money, I'd bet on Money.

Is anyone watching this fight? I am not- gonna be in the mountains this weekend.

Floyd's will beat the brakes off Pac. I think it will be a decision but Mayweather will dominate him.

i can pass along a link if you guys want to watch the fight...i watch ppv stuff on my laptop all the time.

and if it's okay to post on here, i don't mind.

Not only am I watching, but I have saved some scrilla just so I can lay a few bets down as well.

http://ifirstrowus.eu

what you'll have to do is find the boxing link...then you'll probably get 1-10 links for the fight...it's up to you to then find the link that your pc/laptop will show...i'd practice with another event and then you'll be ready for the fight.

the negative is you might have to click out of random advertising or "pop ups" during the fight...look for the "x" and delete it.

Not only am I watching, but I have saved some scrilla just so I can lay a few bets down as well.

I put a small amount on Pac Man and "under" 11.5 rounds earlier in the week. Both long shots I know, but hey, it's called gambling for a reason, right??

I'm kind of GSD on Mayweather as well. As the fight goes on, I'll probably actually end up pulling for him. I just love to watch him fight and love his attitude as well. The other stuff is what has made be sour on him but once the fight starts I'll probably go back to pulling for him. I used to be a huge fan. My brother is a massive boxing fan. He is on boxing message boards like I am on basketball boards. He says the hardcore Pac fans are absolutely nuts.

There are boxing message boards?

I can't name 1 other current fighter other than these 2. This fight is boxing's swan song.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
There are boxing message boards?

I can't name 1 other current fighter other than these 2. This fight is boxing's swan song.

Not true. In fact, I'd say there's a slight uptick in boxing interest over the last year or so and I think this fight will generate even more. There are some really good fighters entering their prime. Gennady Golovkin (middleweight) and Sergey Kovalev (light heavyweight), IMO, are the best PFP fighters in the world right now. They both are just absolute killers and their fame is growing. As far as Americans, Terence Crawford is our best current fighter. He's a lightweight but moving up. He's 26-0 (18 KOs) and has had some really dominant outings recently.

If you have HBO, I urge you to start tuning in to their boxing coverage. The bigger fights are always PPV but HBO airs live fights on many Saturday nights. Just last weekend I watched Wladimir Klitschko win on American soil for the first time in 7 years and it was an historic event as it tied Joe Louis' record of being in 27 heavyweihgt title fights. Max Kellerman and Jim Lampley are the guys that make HBO boxing coverage what it is. But they always have former boxers helping with the coverage (Roy Jones, Lennox Lewis, BHop). It's good stuff.

Reactions: Baby Debo
Yeah, HBO has some good stuff. The heavyweight division has been stale for a long time but a lot of the welterweight and middleweight divisions have been great over the past ten years or so. I was all in on Jermain Taylor years ago but then he flopped due to a ridiculously weak chin and obvious issues elsewhere.

i miss gatti v ward, hopkins v anybody, and some heavyweights.

although hearing ward on espn this week, he waited too long to exit the game.

Gatti/Ward was amazing. We may never see that kind of war in the ring again. That was once in a generation type stuff.

I do not miss BHop. I like him. I think he's smart and was a true professional of the sport. But his fights were boring. No thanks.

The heavyweight division has been pretty lackluster for about 25 years. Lennox Lewis was a great fighter but he never fought anyone worth a damn. Vitali Klitchko was his best opponent and was winning on the cards when they stopped that fight. That was a shame. That match could have been legendary. There are some decent young heavies that are showing promise, but no transcendent fighters in that class.

Also, I saw Shane Mosely doing a little work for HBO. He too has had the sh*t knocked out of him to the point where he slurs badly. He was a warrior. But it's obviously cost him. And sitting next to him was Oscar...who looks and sounds like he's never taken a punch in his life. How is that?

I never cared for Hopkins. I loved to watch Gatti fight. He absolutely got his ass whopped a few times but always kept coming. I never liked Oscar either. I always hoped for him to lose.

My brother says there is some young undefeated American heavyweight (I think) with some promise but I have no idea who it is.

My guess would be Deontay Wilder.

That was pretty underwhelming...like all of Floyd's fights. That's why he'll never be remembered as an all-time great. He never went to war with anyone. Undefeated is undefeated. But history will not be kind to Money.

With that said, he dominated the fight. I was surprised Manny wasn't more active in the early rounds. I thought that he could have stolen a few early. But he didn't let his hands go. As far as power punches, neither guy was hurt throughout the evening. But I thought Manny landed the biggest shots (4th round and 6th round). But Money never buckled. The shots just didn't land flush enough to do any damage.

No chance at a rematch. I wonder who Floyd will fight for #49 in September.

Reactions: gteeitup
very unimpressed...i thought manny had him twice, but just couldn't stay on him.

now it's being reported he was injured.

watching the fight again on hbo...through round 6 i think it is 3-3...judges had it 4-2.

at any rate, i'm gonna watch kirkland/alvarez...i see kirkland dropped that she-male "ann" that trained him...he's going with an unknown trainer against a 24 yr old dude that's had 46 prize fights.

Last edited:
watching the fight again on hbo...through round 6 i think it is 3-3...judges had it 4-2.

at any rate, i'm gonna watch kirkland/alvarez...i see kirkland dropped that she-male "ann" that trained him...he's going with an unknown trainer against a 24 yr old dude that's had 46 prize fights.

Is that Canelo? Wasn't he the up and comer Mayweather hammered a few years back? I had forgotten about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT