ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Johnson

MJUNC

Sophomore
Dec 18, 2017
He now has played three games for UNC so what are your thoughts so far?? His numbers look good, I believe Roy said he was about 80-85 percent back to normal.

Cam’s shot is money... still needs to move a little better without the ball and I think he got caught up running to the wrong spot a couple of times on offence today.... all will come with more game time

He is a pure shooter, as advertised. Silky smooth stroke with deep range, not much going to the basket. He also seems to be working hard to be solid on dee and the boards which will be vital, since I only see the amount of time we go small to increase.

I believe Cam has made a huge difference for the offense even only being at 70-80%. He's another scoring option, which takes pressure off JB and Kenny. Now they don't have to worry about scoring all of the points.

He will become even more valuable once he gets fully healthy and more acclimated with the offense and his teammates. And if the young bigs can somehow learn to provide some consistent scoring from the post, the Heels will be in business.

Reactions: FranktheHeel
Love Cam, he is an awesome kid, has a really great way about him and I really feel like he has been apart of the Carolina family for a long time.
I spoke to someone who works in the museum today about Cam and he said that Cam is so excited to be a Heel and that he really is extreemly motivated to do well here. He said what impressed him about Cam was that he fit in extreemly well with the team right from the onset and I think we can see it already with the chemistry that has been shown with the small ball lineup and him on the floor.

As a couple of people have said, his stroke is sweet, he has good length, rebounded well today and is really working hard to be great on D. Having a three point threat like him, is really going to benefit us in that defenses will give him a good amount of attention causing Joel and Theo to have a little more room to operate and be able to attack the rim and get theirs. His mid range game is also looking good and I expect to see him take some more shots from there and do it off of a screen or off a ball fake, which he should look to Luke who has a very nice ball fake. Cam’s play has already benefited Luke in their minutes together, he has scored 16 points in the 16 minutes they’ve played together in the small ball lineup. Right now, I really like him coming off of the bench, he provides an offensive burst right away and seems locked as he steps on the court.
Once he gets more adjusted to our system and comfortable with the guys, he’s really going to take off. I think he is one of our biggest pieces in making a big run in March.

I attached Cam’s presser, he shows great body language and speaks really well too just shows a little bit about who he is. Cam makes a really good point at the end of the presser. I think you all will find it interesting and agree with it, Enjoy!

Last edited:
He's better on the glass than I expected him to be tbh. Shot is as advertised. He's going to be immensely useful against UVA.

He's averaging 4.3 RPG in 22.3 MPG. Not bad at all, especially since he's mainly a perimeter player. And he's working hard on defense.
He is working hard, Arch. Defense was his biggest deficit coming in --- and he was awful in preseason --- but he seems to be buying in to Roy's culture and is giving good effort.

I've also been impressed with Cam so far. Nice effort on defense and the glass and he is another reliable scorer on offense, which we needed.

Just when you start to worry that you just lost a once-in-a-lifetime player in JJ, along comes CJ! He is the perfect solution and more proof that Roy is a freakin' genius! He just needs to tighten up his D, work a little more to internalize our O, and continue to improve in health/strength/conditioning to become an All ACC contender!

It sure is great to support kids that want to be Tar Heels and aren't just coming here as an NBA stopover!

Reactions: FranktheHeel
He is working hard, Arch. Defense was his biggest deficit coming in --- and he was awful in preseason --- but he seems to be buying in to Roy's culture and is giving good effort.
He does indeed. He spoke about learning to "mesh" with our other players, knowing where to go and his teammates knowing where to find him. What an articulate, well spoken young man.

Just when you start to worry that you just lost a once-in-a-lifetime player in JJ, along comes CJ! He is the perfect solution and more proof that Roy is a freakin' genius! He just needs to tighten up his D, work a little more to internalize our O, and continue to improve in health/strength/conditioning to become an All ACC contender!

It sure is great to support kids that want to be Tar Heels and aren't just coming here as an NBA stopover!

I second that I will take kids who want to be Heels any day!
I was excited when I heard that Cam was going to come visit last year and than when he decided to commit before being cleared and have that trust in Roy just really showed who he was as kid and how bad he really did want to be here. Anyone that I've spoken to has said that Cam is just a really great kid who loves Carolina and carries himself in a respectable way.
Cam could've very easily come in and been selfish, just worrying about taking his shots and getting himself into the NBA, but you know what the kid is nothing like that, he has totally bought into the program, what Coach preaches and you could see him really giving all he can on both ends, not even being 100% yet. Cam coming here benefited not only us, but also him too because he is apart of the Carolina Family for the rest of his life while also being somewhere where he can develop his game and improve in the areas he needs in order to be successful at the next level.
Cam's a huge piece for us this year and the efforts that he has shown in the last few games really make me believe that he is just getting started and so are we!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Cam looks to be a good free throw shooter as well so I for one would love to see him drive every now and then like JJ did with that base line,floater that was so potent.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT