ADVERTISEMENT

Can Pinson be the third scorer

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
With Johnson out for a while a third scorer needs to emerge to take some of the scoring load off Maye and Berry. Soon or later teams will begin to play zone against UNC and someone else will have to prove they can add to the offense.

Kenny Williams hit a couple of threes last night but in my eyes he just does not seem to want to shoot that much and Felton also seems a little gun shy.

It is not fair to expect Maye to get 20 every night or for Barry with fingers taped up on his shooting hand to light up the nets and that is why I enjoyed watching Pinson going to the hole and when he did not score step up to the line and cash in from the charity stripe.

Manley has really contributed to the team's early success but he is still green and it would also be unfair to expect a double double from him every contest.

So as a senior and a vocal leader I hope last night's career high in points was a coming out out party for Pinson because Carolina without a doubt this season needs a reliable third scorer to hold down the fort until the freshmen and sophomores feel comfortable enough to take some shots and Cam Johnson can get back into the rotation.

If u see a better choice than Pinson at this point as the third scorer for a while then let's discuss it here...

I'd prefer that Brooks take more shots than Theo. I'd that prefer Theo create shots, but I can't see him being scoring a good volume with good efficiency.

I think Jalek has the ability to become a dependable scorer. He seems a little gun right now, but he can be a force for us once he gains more confidence.

Theo is an excellent facilitator, but I don't see him scoring 15-20 PPG on a consistent basis like JB and Maye. I can see a group of players like Williams, Brooks and Manley scoring 8-12 PPG each on a consistent basis. But Cameron should be back and at full speed by the start of 2018.

Reactions: JakeSarna
It still hurts to see Theo shooting 3's. The guy has great from and makes free throws with ease. Still, as mentioned, let Theo fly around and do what he does, facilitator is a good description. Or disruptor on defense.

Reactions: JakeSarna
I'd prefer that Brooks take more shots than Theo. I'd that prefer Theo create shots, but I can't see him being scoring a good volume with good efficiency.

I kind of agree. But Theo needs to go to the hole more. If he can be a 75%+ FT shooter, he can drive to the hole, get fouled and earn his points at the FT line. His length and athleticism allow him to get in the lane almost at will. Last night he did it a couple times late in the clock and got the foul. That's how Theo needs to score - from the stripe. But I do agree he's the best playmaker on the team and should be creating for others.

I kind of agree. But Theo needs to go to the hole more. If he can be a 75%+ FT shooter, he can drive to the hole, get fouled and earn his points at the FT line. His length and athleticism allow him to get in the lane almost at will. Last night he did it a couple times late in the clock and got the foul. That's how Theo needs to score - from the stripe. But I do agree he's the best playmaker on the team and should be creating for others.

I agree with you. Theo's also a really good passer, so even if he doesn't score, he can easily find one of our bigs in the paint for an easy basket.

Does Theo have a mid range game? In a man to man offense he can be great, but how would he fare against a zone? we need somebody that can be a man in the middle, capable of hitting that midrange shot consistently when playing against a zone.

Do you think his shooting has improved enough to be reliable? With the Heels, nothing pi$$es me off more than one of them missing that little 6-7 footer!

Unless he becomes very aggressive driving to the basket .. and develops a short pull up jumper .. no.

100% spot on !! Theo needs to use his athleticism and handle to attack the rack .. not even debatable .. jmho

I concur

13/5/5
I think Theo should minimize his three point shot attempts and concentrate on slashing to the basket. In that way, it allows him to score in close, assist others and get to the FT line. I expect a third of his scoring average to come from the line. 12/5/5 is a very attainable average stat line for Theo this year. IMO, he will lead the team in assists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT