ADVERTISEMENT

Can RJ make it in the NBA?

tcb22

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2002
One of our biggest questions at the end of the year will be "will he go or will he stay"? His height is always a concern, even in college. He is listed a as 6'0', 180 lbs. Guess who is a star in the NBA and is 6'1', 185 lbs! Steph Curry! Not to say RJ is the next Steph Curry, but there is a role for players that size who can shoot lights out from 3 pt land and drive to the basket. Just saying...

Last edited:
One of our biggest questions at the end of the year will be "will he go or will he stay"? His height is always a concern, even in college. He is listed a as 6'0', 180 lbs. Guess who is a star in the NBA and is 6'1', 185 lbs! Seth Curry! Not to say RJ is the next Seth Curry, but there is a role for players that size who can shoot lights out from 3 pt land and drive to the basket. Just saying...
Are you equating RJ to Seth Curry?

Read my last sentence...
I read all your sentences...

I did read the part where you compared RJ to Curry in size, I did read the part that says RJ and Curry can shoot and then I read the part where you say you are not saying RJ will be the next Curry? I am wondering why invoke a players name that you are not comparing him to? Had you used Kemba Walker for example doubt I would have said anything but Curry? Not trying to be argumentative, just struck me as strange to invoke Curry?

I mentioned Curry because the same things were said about him coming out of college and their size is very similar. I doubt if we see another Seth Curry in my life time but he does show that size alone is not the determining factor. It is a big (pun intended) factor and it is brought up constantly when assessing RJ’s future.

BTW, I had a senior moment--I am talking about STEPH not Seth. And again, I am not saying RJ will be another Steph Curry, but that his size along should not automatically cause us to say "never" to the NBA. I don't think any of us would have projected him scoring the way he does when he entered UNC.
And he may be another in a long line of our favorite Tar Heels who never quite produced the way we hoped they would in the pros. Nothng wrong with that at all. There are simply players who are great college players, but just not NBA players.

I say he is NOT an NBA caliber player. He is a great undersized college player, but too often in the college game he gets exploited because of his height.
Agree completely...compare RJ and Marcus Paige. I love both of them in college but neither are or will be NBA level PGs. It is okay for guys to be great college players. I'll say the same thing about Bacot.

BTW, I had a senior moment--I am talking about STEPH not Seth. And again, I am not saying RJ will be another Steph Curry, but that his size along should not automatically cause us to say "never" to the NBA. I don't think any of us would have projected him scoring the way he does when he entered UNC.
And he may be another in a long line of our favorite Tar Heels who never quite produced the way we hoped they would in the pros. Nothng wrong with that at all. There are simply players who are great college players, but just not NBA players.
Steph measured 6-2 without shoes at the draft combine. RJ is what, 5-11 without shoes? There's a big size difference between them, not to mention Steph being miles better at every skill on the court.

Kemba was only 5-11.5 without shoes. So he's more comparable. RJ is actually a better shooter than Kemba was, so it's possible. Downside is Kemba was a better passer, rebounder, stealer, and blocker. The defense/rebounding numbers indicate better athleticism, which is probably what allowed Kemba's D to be passable enough.

The truth is until this season RJ has been an abysmal defender even for college. He still regularly gets torched, and guys who get torched in college are usually unplayably bad on D in the league. He's just so small (for an NBA player) and his athleticism probably isn't NBA league average either. Combine that with his awkward offensive fit (not really a point, but too small to thrive as an off-guard) and I'm not sure I see it despite his tremendous skills. He has shown himself to be a gritty, hard worker though so maybe he can keep improving to carve out a backup role.

Steph measured 6-2 without shoes at the draft combine. RJ is what, 5-11 without shoes? There's a big size difference between them, not to mention Steph being miles better at every skill on the court.

Kemba was only 5-11.5 without shoes. So he's more comparable. RJ is actually a better shooter than Kemba was, so it's possible. Downside is Kemba was a better passer, rebounder, stealer, and blocker. The defense/rebounding numbers indicate better athleticism, which is probably what allowed Kemba's D to be passable enough.

The truth is until this season RJ has been an abysmal defender even for college. He still regularly gets torched, and guys who get torched in college are usually unplayably bad on D in the league. He's just so small (for an NBA player) and his athleticism probably isn't NBA league average either. Combine that with his awkward offensive fit (not really a point, but too small to thrive as an off-guard) and I'm not sure I see it despite his tremendous skills. He has shown himself to be a gritty, hard worker though so maybe he can keep improving to carve out a backup role.
While I agree with most of this, I disagree with why he was being “torched” his first few years. Correct Help defense was none existent until this year. IMO that was on coaching and Caleb. You could clearly see RJ drive his man into where help should be. That’s basketball at all levels.

While I agree with most of this, I disagree with why he was being “torched” his first few years. Correct Help defense was none existent until this year. IMO that was on coaching and Caleb. You could clearly see RJ drive his man into where help should be. That’s basketball at all levels.
I think it's both. RJ doesn't really have quick lateral slides and he's not strong enough to prevent guys getting by him with his chest a lot of times, nor does he have the arm length to contest much.

Reactions: DSouthr
I think it's both. RJ doesn't really have quick lateral slides and he's not strong enough to prevent guys getting by him with his chest a lot of times, nor does he have the arm length to contest much.
I understand your reasoning but why is he all of a sudden better this year? He didn’t grow or get longer. Better help. The other night it was mentioned about him getting beat by Mintz and needed help. lol he layed it to Seth, and Ryan also. Mintz just happened to be their best player.

I don't think he's an NBA guard. It's really hard to play on the ball guard in the NBA. You see dudes with tremendous talent struggle to play it at that level.

Saying that... I've seen dudes not as good as RJ make it to the NBA. So it wouldn't floor me if he made a team and stuck around. No one can tell me RJ can't be Quinn Cook in the NBA.

So how does NIL compare in value to playing anywhere except the NBA? Europe, Asia, etc.

The NBA is a find your fit league for the vast majority of players. Only a few outliers like the KDs, Lebrons, Giannis', etc are sure fire. Others must find a niche and hope to find the situation that needs your niche! Peeps always love a scorer and always need backup points who can hold the fort OR come in and hit a 3 or two! RJ will get paid to play and there is a chance it will be in the NBA!

I think he can make it, but he has to become a PG, and like someone said it will be a fit thing for him.

It would benefit his game if he left, even if he doesn't go very high or get drafted at all. He needs to get started learning his position and NBA development league was made for a player like RJ.

One of our biggest questions at the end of the year will be "will he go or will he stay"? His height is always a concern, even in college. He is listed a as 6'0', 180 lbs. Guess who is a star in the NBA and is 6'1', 185 lbs! Steph Curry! Not to say RJ is the next Steph Curry, but there is a role for players that size who can shoot lights out from 3 pt land and drive to the basket. Just saying...
Here's the deal:

- RJ is much closer to 5'10 than 6 ft (not an unusual stretch, but keeping it real) --- and Steph is probably close to 6'2.

- there is a VERY limited market for little guys in today's NBA --- most teams don't want them, and on those teams that do, there's only 1 spot.

- If you're a little guy, you'd better have legit PG skills (not RJ's strength, as we know)

- RJ's ability to score will get him a look, but likely not drafted (although that's actually better for him, but he'd better choose that FA destination carefully --- see the next line below)

- - to nab that one spot, you have to be very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time --- I'm sure Joel Berry could fill you in on that --- there's nothing a Fred Van Fleet can do that JB couldn't, but Joel never was in the right place to get the opportunity

In other words, count the number of little guys in the league right now --- I doubt you'll use both hands.

So... unless RJ gets VERY fortunate, he'll make a good living playing overseas.

I understand your reasoning but why is he all of a sudden better this year? He didn’t grow or get longer. Better help. The other night it was mentioned about him getting beat by Mintz and needed help. lol he layed it to Seth, and Ryan also. Mintz just happened to be their best player.
He's playing smarter, particularly being more disruptive off ball. His steals are up 50% this year. I still think he's a poor on-ball defender though.

Reactions: gary-7
What order would you draft these players coming out of college?
- RJ
- Joel Berry
- Marcus Paige

Cause RJ has played better and better this year… but those other two were as good if not better and couldn’t make it in the NBA… but have also gone on to have fine careers around basketball.

I wouldn't have RJ anywhere near my NBA team and I certainly don't view him as an NBA player on a serious team.

But there are a lot of unserious NBA teams or NBA teams that are in salary cap hell that will need as ultra cheap players who won't complain about not getting minutes. Those are usually young guys on 2-way contracts.

I'm guessing a lot of you guys follow the Hornets. Ish Smith is their backup PG. Ish Smith. I don't know if there's anything Ish Smith does anymore (or if he ever did) at an NBA level. Yet he gets 15-20 minutes per game.

I don't view RJ as an NBA player, but that doesn't mean he'll never play in the NBA. Again, lot of unserious organizations in the NBA. Also, there's going to be 2 or 3 teams that go in full-on tank mode every season. There will be opportunities for players to play in the NBA even though they're not NBA-level players because the goal of some organizations isn't to fill a roster full of NBA players.

LARRY DREW II PLAYED 22 GAMES IN THE NBA!!!!

Reactions: gauchoheel
I wouldn't have RJ anywhere near my NBA team and I certainly don't view him as an NBA player on a serious team.

But there are a lot of unserious NBA teams or NBA teams that are in salary cap hell that will need as ultra cheap players who won't complain about not getting minutes. Those are usually young guys on 2-way contracts.

I'm guessing a lot of you guys follow the Hornets. Ish Smith is their backup PG. Ish Smith. I don't know if there's anything Ish Smith does anymore (or if he ever did) at an NBA level. Yet he gets 15-20 minutes per game.

I don't view RJ as an NBA player, but that doesn't mean he'll never play in the NBA. Again, lot of unserious organizations in the NBA. Also, there's going to be 2 or 3 teams that go in full-on tank mode every season. There will be opportunities for players to play in the NBA even though they're not NBA-level players because the goal of some organizations isn't to fill a roster full of NBA players.

LARRY DREW II PLAYED 22 GAMES IN THE NBA!!!!
I do agree if it were a perfect league and every team was a contender. But, you know because you stated it, not every team can be good. It’s hasn’t changed in that regard. I think he could play on a team but it would be situational for sure. It’s been known for a long time that a few league stars would love to have shooters waiting in the lurch for them to kick out to. I don’t pull for them, but the Lakers have needed just that for several years now.

I hate how things have been watered down in the NBA, too young imo but everyone wants it NOW, including owners. Gotta get to those contracts asap. I get it, but I don’t have to like it.

Agree completely...compare RJ and Marcus Paige. I love both of them in college but neither are or will be NBA level PGs. It is okay for guys to be great college players. I'll say the same thing about Bacot.
The good news is that RJ has Marcus on the bench to talk with about playing overseas.

I imagine RJ will try to stick in the NBA - because why not? It's the dream. But realistically he's heading abroad. And - just as realistically, I think - he'll do really well abroad.

I wouldn't have RJ anywhere near my NBA team and I certainly don't view him as an NBA player on a serious team. Remind me again, which NBA team do you own? LOL

But there are a lot of unserious NBA teams or NBA teams that are in salary cap hell that will need as ultra cheap players who won't complain about not getting minutes. Those are usually young guys on 2-way contracts. There are NBA teams that are not serious about winning? That is news to me, why would a team not serious about winning have a salary cap problem to begin with? Oh I know, they wouldn't! LOL

I'm guessing a lot of you guys follow the Hornets. Ish Smith is their backup PG. Ish Smith. I don't know if there's anything Ish Smith does anymore (or if he ever did) at an NBA level. Yet he gets 15-20 minutes per game. Evidently those that have the ability to evaluate Ish Smith and determine if he should play or not disagree with you if he is getting 15-20mins a game. If you are playing 15-20mins a game in the NBA you are a serious player.

I don't view RJ as an NBA player, but that doesn't mean he'll never play in the NBA. Again, lot of unserious organizations in the NBA. Also, there's going to be 2 or 3 teams that go in full-on tank mode every season. There will be opportunities for players to play in the NBA even though they're not NBA-level players because the goal of some organizations isn't to fill a roster full of NBA players. How in the world can you say a guy that plays in the NBA is not a NBA level player? If you play in the NBA by the very definition you are a NBA player!!! Yes, every season as it becomes clear that a team has no chance at the post season will tank to a degree so they can be positioned to get a very high draft slot, they want the #1 pick not because they are not serious but because they believe that #1 player can help them become winners. EVERY team owner, every GM, every coaching staff, every player in the NBA is serious about winning to even suggest other wise really makes no sense to me.

LARRY DREW II PLAYED 22 GAMES IN THE NBA!!!! And like it or not he was a NBA player!

- RJ
- Joel Berry
- Marcus Paige

Cause RJ has played better and better this year… but those other two were as good if not better and couldn’t make it in the NBA… but have also gone on to have fine careers around basketball.
Easy for me: IN order I have Marcus, Joel, and RJ. I just don't think RJ can guard NBA level PGs, he isn't just smallish, he isn't jet quick, especially laterally for that level. Most small for position players have to make up for it in other ways and usually when it is a small point or 2 guard they make it up in extreme quickness or very special ball handles and passing ability. RJ in the NBA will have to play against guys that are much bigger than he is, much taller than he is, and quicker than he is.

Don't fool yourself, if RJ finishes this season as he has been playing do far he will get drafted either late first round or some place second round (more likely), he will get a contract. But he will spend a lot of that time in the G, his getting a second NBA contract is not a great bet. RJ will make really solid pay days in Europe and there is zero shame in that!

- RJ
- Joel Berry
- Marcus Paige

That's easy: Joel on a team that is gonna give him the chance with the big club.

Easy for me: IN order I have Marcus, Joel, and RJ. I just don't think RJ can guard NBA level PGs, he isn't just smallish, he isn't jet quick, especially laterally for that level. Most small for position players have to make up for it in other ways and usually when it is a small point or 2 guard they make it up in extreme quickness or very special ball handles and passing ability. RJ in the NBA will have to play against guys that are much bigger than he is, much taller than he is, and quicker than he is.

Don't fool yourself, if RJ finishes this season as he has been playing do far he will get drafted either late first round or some place second round (more likely), he will get a contract. But he will spend a lot of that time in the G, his getting a second NBA contract is not a great bet. RJ will make really solid pay days in Europe and there is zero shame in that!
RJ, he has the speed, and his ability to create shots is way better than Paige or Berry. Berry was a great leader, but not great speed or a great ball handler, not really even a great passer. Paige the same, his shooting actually declined over his career if I recall correctly.

I love all these players, just my observation.

1) RJ
2) Paige
3) Berry

Wow, that is a bold prediction. I think the highest I've seen RJ ranked as a draftable prospect is near #100. 1st round, 2nd for sure? In my opinion his game would have to change dramatically this year from what he has been doing to garner any serous consideration for the draft at those spots. That would be terrible for the team sucess though. His deficient areas for the league needs to be avoided, not hey, let's work on these areas the rest of the way. He's 23 already, right? If they draft a G league starting guy there in the draft, it is to mold his game. And that would be younger player, Like GG Jackson who dropped 23 a couple nights ago in his debuts, or Day'Ron Sharpe who is flourishing before his recent injury. You don't stay 4 years and then start the reshaping of your game.

His current production doesn't mean 1st round or 2nd in my opinion, heck National Player of the Year guys have went undrafted. I agree he has bright and lucrative amounts of overseas options though a plenty. Or go work on your craft in the G league, albeit a late start there, then go Euro if you cannot adjust his game from his college roll to NBA roll. Either way he will have options, getting drafted 1st early 2nd though, I think is slim to none, as a late late 2nd round possible/undrafted FA type.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a bold prediction. I think the highest I've seen RJ ranked as a draftable prospect is near #100. 1st round, 2nd for sure? In my opinion his game would have to change dramatically this year from what he has been doing to garner any serous consideration for the draft at those spots. That would be terrible for the team sucess though. His deficient areas for the league needs to be avoided, not hey, let's work on these areas the rest of the way. He's 23 already, right? If they draft a G league starting guy there in the draft, it is to mold his game. And that would be younger player, Like GG Jackson who dropped 23 a couple nights ago in his debuts, or Day'Ron Sharpe who is flourishing before his recent injury. You don't stay 4 years and then start the reshaping of your game.

His current production doesn't mean 1st round or 2nd in my opinion, heck National Player of the Year guys have went undrafted. I agree he has bright and lucrative amounts of overseas options though a plenty. Or go work on your craft in the G league, albeit a late start there, then go Euro if you cannot adjust his game from his college roll to NBA roll. Either way he will have options, getting drafted 1st early 2nd though, I think is slim to none, as a late late 2nd round possible/undrafted FA type.
Dtodd you got my wheels turning so I had to look. tshiebwe was the only POY I could find in the last 30 years to go undrafted. That’s crazy, I thought there were a few other guys too. I definitely thought he was drafted before a few others on that list. Knowing how bigs are used in the league now I’m not surprised though for him and Garzas low draft

Reactions: dtodd4475
Dtodd you got my wheels turning so I had to look. tshiebwe was the only POY I could find in the last 30 years to go undrafted. That’s crazy, I thought there were a few other guys too. I definitely thought he was drafted before a few others on that list. Knowing how bigs are used in the league now I’m not surprised though for him and Garzas low draft
Drew Timme, and Kofi Cockburn were 1st team all- American too, great college games. Where Eddy goes this year will be interesting, probably 2nd round flyer. RJ will get a look, little guy Nowell All-American from Kansas State last year just got a 10 day call up recently I think.

I hope he finds a spot. Playing great.

Agree with most of this, but no way RJ is a first round pick.

I really don't see an NBA fit.
That being said, without highjacking your post, what is his future after this season?
A long talk will need to be had about roster configuration if R.J. comes back for year 5.
I think it can work if both RJ and Capt Jack can coexist.
A starting lineup of:
Cadeau
Davis
Jackson
Ingram
Washington
is probably preseason #1
Trimble, Withers, Powell, High and Brown off the bench.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT