ADVERTISEMENT

Can we win coastal next yr?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Jarrod Evans and Brad kaaya are going pro. Those two teams are more than their QB, but both might be tough to replace, like MT.

So if MT returns, what will the coastal race be like?

Rebuilds up and down the Coastal next season:

VT -- complete offensive rebuild. QB Evans and WR Isiah Ford gone pro. WR Bucky Hodges most likely will go pro.
GT -- long-time starting QB Justin Thomas will be gone. Leading rusher Marshall transferred. Incumbent QB did beat VT.
Duke -- well, they're Duke. Sirk's extra year of eligibility next year. He kinda sucks though.
UVA -- still rebuilding under Bronco Mendenhall. They're a few years away from any type of success
Miami -- Kaaya gone. Lots of talent on the roster, but a lot of it is unproven
Pitt -- potential to be good, but also replacing a lot. Conner gone, QB is a question mark. The kid DiNucci looked good in limited time against Northwestern in the bowl. I think Pederman exhausted his eligibility this year
Carolina -- new QB most likely. Have to replace the legend that was Switzer (our only offensive weapon the final few games) as well as Bug and Mack. And T.J.

Reactions: JimmyinVA

VT -- complete offensive rebuild. QB Evans and WR Isiah Ford gone pro. WR Bucky Hodges most likely will go pro.
GT -- long-time starting QB Justin Thomas will be gone. Leading rusher Marshall transferred. Incumbent QB did beat VT.
Duke -- well, they're Duke. Sirk's extra year of eligibility next year. He kinda sucks though.
UVA -- still rebuilding under Bronco Mendenhall. They're a few years away from any type of success
Pitt -- potential to be good, but also replacing a lot. Conner gone, QB is a question mark. The kid DiNucci looked good in limited time against Northwestern in the bowl. I think Pederman exhausted his eligibility this year
Carolina -- new QB most likely. Have to replace the legend that was Switzer (our only offensive weapon the final few games) as well as Bug and Mack. And T.J.
That's it. Next year, the Coastal will be back to madness of parity across the board. The winner will be lucky - say, the fewest injuries. But coaching, starting with Spring, will set it all up. The staff or 2 that get the most out of Spring will be in the driver's seat.

Didn't Pitt get a transfer QB? Browne from SC?

Heels won't win jack squat until they shore up the offensive line. The interior spots are a huge question mark headed into the next offseason.
I am surprised and disappointed that Sweet didn't perform better than he did. I can say the latter about Prince but not the former.

I think Sweet might still be growing up in terms of skill and experience. Not sure what the deal is with Prince. And it was RS Jr Henson in during the 2 pt conversion, not sure what his deal is either.

Can we? Sure.

Will we? I wish I could say I thought so. But with all the question marks we'll have, I can't. I just hope we're in the race with a legitimate chance.

I absolutely think so. RH pretty much hit the nail on the head though, it's going to come down to o-line play. With Hood coming back, we could have a dominate ground game if the o-line can create holes.

anyone curious the role brown will play?...imo, i didn't see enough to know if he can split the 16 carries a rb gets in the system.

anyone curious the role brown will play?...imo, i didn't see enough to know if he can split the 16 carries a rb gets in the system.
He's listed at 5'10 180 lbs. Logan is the same height and 190. I envision Brown filling Logan's role next season. He seems to run with more power than Logan but not quite as quick or shifty. Not sure about his hands as a receiver.

I thought it was interesting that Francis didn't get a carry in the bowl game, even with Hood out. Not sure he even took a snap at RB. He was in on kick returns.

He's listed at 5'10 180 lbs. Logan is the same height and 190. I envision Brown filling Logan's role next season. He seems to run with more power than Logan but not quite as quick or shifty. Not sure about his hands as a receiver.

I thought it was interesting that Francis didn't get a carry in the bowl game, even with Hood out. Not sure he even took a snap at RB. He was in on kick returns.

didn't realize he was that light...like you said, he looks stronger and keeps his feet moving.

"interesting" is one word for it...he could've helped block in some 2-back sets.

Reactions: Raising Heel
You guys kill me that offensive line was as young and inexperienced as it gets Bieber have young experience coming back yet somehow we still find ways to put down and complain about these young athletes smh this is so wrong

You guys kill me that offensive line was as young and inexperienced as it gets Bieber have young experience coming back yet somehow we still find ways to put down and complain about these young athletes smh this is so wrong
No one is putting them down. They are just evaluating their play and stating their opinion There is nothing wrong with an honest evaluation.

didn't realize he was that light...like you said, he looks stronger and keeps his feet moving.

"interesting" is one word for it...he could've helped block in some 2-back sets.
His TD run in the bowl was a thing of power. He make himself seem like a back over 200 pounds. A good Spring could set him up to be a high quality 2nd team RB.

His TD run in the bowl was a thing of power. He make himself seem like a back over 200 pounds. A good Spring could set him up to be a high quality 2nd team RB.
People are getting too excited about that run, IMO. Nothing else he did during the season demonstrated that same power.

People are getting too excited about that run, IMO. Nothing else he did during the season demonstrated that same power.

Well it was a nice run and tbh he only got like 10 carries all year.

If Trubisky returns you could make a case that we should be the offseason favorite. Miami's defense should be very good next year but their OL was just as bad if not worse than ours and even though Kayaa's production never lived up to his hype, replacing him is still a big unknown for them.

If MT goes pro then we'll fall back into the "middle of the pack" in terms of media prognostications for next season, but the division should be truly wide open.

Well it was a nice run and tbh he only got like 10 carries all year.

If Trubisky returns you could make a case that we should be the offseason favorite. Miami's defense should be very good next year but their OL was just as bad if not worse than ours and even though Kayaa's production never lived up to his hype, replacing him is still a big unknown for them.

If MT goes pro then we'll fall back into the "middle of the pack" in terms of media prognostications for next season, but the division should be truly wide open.
Miami's RB Yearby declared for the draft, also.

The realistic answer is no. I think next year is going to be a tough year. UNC was not that good this year even with all those offensive weapons. Offense was garbage after the GT game. Lost to duke and state. Not sure we can expect much next year. Need a new offensive coordinator. Play calling was bad all year.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I like Jordan Brown, he had another tackle-breaking run earlier in the yr, maybe vs GT?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT