ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Basketball

He is in no danger of losing his job. But the shiny is starting to wear off. He needs to learn the bench is for grounding players as well, not just for a bunch of cheerleaders wishing for a minute to play

Hubert not that guy that’s going to put Caleb on the bench. he’s too concerned with being a players coach. he’s catered to these assholes for 2 years and our play has been inconsistent and there’s no turning back now.

Reactions: Heelicious
Hubert not that guy that’s going to put Caleb on the bench. he’s too concerned with being a players coach. he’s catered to these assholes for 2 years and our play has been inconsistent and there’s no turning back now.
Then he better be prepared for an exodus of depth players transferring at year end. If you are Styles, Nickel, Washington, etc. why would you not consider it at this point when you see a player dog it like Love and be given 33+ minutes every game.

Then he better be prepared for an exodus of depth players transferring at year end. If you are Styles, Nickel, Washington, etc. why would you not consider it at this point when you see a player dog it like Love and be given 33+ minutes every game.
Why would Washington transfer? He likely didn’t play cause he’s not quite 100% and there weren’t many practices over the break so his conditioning isn’t where it needs to be. Besides look at Dunn he barely played at all last year and now has a role

Why would Washington transfer? He likely didn’t play cause he’s not quite 100% and there weren’t many practices over the break so his conditioning isn’t where it needs to be. Besides look at Dunn he barely played at all last year and now has a role
I’m not suggesting he will. I’m just giving some examples off the bench who may see an opportunity for more time elsewhere.

I'm sure I'll get clobbered for this, but everyone is sharing opinions on this board, very few known facts, so here is mine.

I cannot help but believe that each of the individual problems facing our team has to ultimately go back to the coaching staff.

If a player like Love isn't giving the effort required, or continually makes bad decisions, takes bad shots, or can't follow the game plan to feed the post, it's the coach's responsibility to get through to him either through benching, running at practice or drawing up plays that make him feel included. Ultimately, the HC is responsible.

If seemingly every game has an opposing player that has a career night against my defense, it is ultimately the HC's responsibility to change approaches towards that player.

If we don't have a developed bench, especially given the talent that watches Carolina basketball from the front row nightly, that responsibility falls on that head coach. The preseason schedule was the time to develop that bench and it didn't happen.

If the offense that I want to run isn't conducive with my current roster, it is up to the head coach to build an offense around what he has instead of trying to slam square pegs into round holes. Again, that is on the coaching staff.

For the record, I love Coach Hubert and think it was a great hire. I think he will ultimately work out well. But we are experiencing some pretty major turbulence in his learning curve.

Go Heels!

Since Coach Davis isn't going anywhere for a long time. It is time to fire an Assistant coach and hire a great motivator. Oh, we had one named Steve Arnette Robinson, Steve leaving was the worst thing that happened to UNC basketball. Arizonia was smart in bringing him aboard-that team plays with a passion to win. Something that has been lacking since Coach Davis was promoted.

Love needs to come off the bench in spot duty for a while. He has stunk,
Look love is averaging 36MPG he has the green light, and never seems to suffer and consequences for poor or stupid play, and he is a complete issue when things are not going his way.

It's would be complete disfunction if he was not a starter!

Reactions: Heelicious
I really wish Hubert will remember to play his bench in 2nd half. We can't continue to run the starters for 35-38 minutes every game again.
Yesterday was a perfect example of what happens, he plays a puff goes in gets fouls and gets pulled into get 2 minutes. Dunn he'll I forgot he was on the team and he got 20 minutes, and the all knowings said he was in for offense he only had 5 points, all the while Pitt has one going for 31. Don't forget one of our best on ball defending guard had only 5 minutes.

Then we want to blame the refs let's not blame this shit show of a staff we got. We make the same amount of free throws Pitt shot.

People need to stop making excuses for him and his staff! They may very well turn it around and win it all he'll they almost did last year, but yesterday it was 100% on them.

Reactions: DSouthr
I can remember growing up and watching unc bb and it took a Herculean effort by the other team or player getting hot to beat us. When we lost it was major news…kinda shocking the world. Now it’s almost 50/50 every game. The days of being dominant seem like 100 years ago. Losing 4-6 games a year was a big disappointment and now it’s the standard. Also, the losses in the past weren’t blowouts like we have suffered recently. Guess the difference between a great coach and being average. Miss those days. Days where when we lost people bragged for days on end. The target on our back has gotten smaller.

I'm sure I'll get clobbered for this, but everyone is sharing opinions on this board, very few known facts, so here is mine.

I cannot help but believe that each of the individual problems facing our team has to ultimately go back to the coaching staff.

If a player like Love isn't giving the effort required, or continually makes bad decisions, takes bad shots, or can't follow the game plan to feed the post, it's the coach's responsibility to get through to him either through benching, running at practice or drawing up plays that make him feel included. Ultimately, the HC is responsible.

If seemingly every game has an opposing player that has a career night against my defense, it is ultimately the HC's responsibility to change approaches towards that player.

If we don't have a developed bench, especially given the talent that watches Carolina basketball from the front row nightly, that responsibility falls on that head coach. The preseason schedule was the time to develop that bench and it didn't happen.

If the offense that I want to run isn't conducive with my current roster, it is up to the head coach to build an offense around what he has instead of trying to slam square pegs into round holes. Again, that is on the coaching staff.

For the record, I love Coach Hubert and think it was a great hire. I think he will ultimately work out well. But we are experiencing some pretty major turbulence in his learning curve.

Go Heels!
It is the coaches responsibility to control the actions of his players on the court.

Hubert is concerning the heck out of me with some of his decisions, some of this just makes no sense. I may get more and more pissed, pretty pissed about that Pitt game still... but I do want to see what he does when Caleb and RJ, maybe even Bacot are no longer there, want to see how he coaches when every player he has are guys he made the final decision to bring in. While he was involved with the guys that Roy brought in Hubert did not have the final word on this recruit or that recruit, Roy did. Only then will Hubert have had the chance to bring in all his own guys to fit the way he wants UNC to play. But I am watching way to many red flags pop up for comfort and I think most feel that same way.

Yesterday was a perfect example of what happens, he plays a puff goes in gets fouls and gets pulled into get 2 minutes. Dunn he'll I forgot he was on the team and he got 20 minutes, and the all knowings said he was in for offense he only had 5 points, all the while Pitt has one going for 31. Don't forget one of our best on ball defending guard had only 5 minutes.

Then we want to blame the refs let's not blame this shit show of a staff we got. We make the same amount of free throws Pitt shot.

People need to stop making excuses for him and his staff! They may very well turn it around and win it all he'll they almost did last year, but yesterday it was 100% on them.
Ya know what, this may not taste good going down but this poster is not wrong. Sorry but I come from a world where losers fuss about the refs, winners just play the game. I have tried to make it a personal point to NEVER fuss about the refs in a game we lose, I will fuss about them at times in wins but I try not to after a loss because it becomes more excuse for losing rather than reasons the out come was what it was.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
We ran the same system last year without NBA players and made the championship game. I think it's pretty clear we're not going to change the system, and frankly I think you guys are missing the mark entirely with this criticism.

Kansas won the championship last year with a pro-style offense. Nova won their championships that way too. None of those teams had a big to dump it to down low, all ran lots of pick and roll with tons of threes, and not many high level NBA players there either.

We have a top guard in Love playing way below his talent level and two fairly limited offensive forwards and yet we're still #12 in the country for points per possession on offense.

The idea that we have to run motion offense to be successful is one of the more ridiculous takes I've heard on this board.
So how's it working out this year ?? Rhetorical question no doubt.

So how's it working out this year ?? Rhetorical question no doubt.

agree. the whole 4 out offense requires solid shooters and a wing that can get to the rim at will in 1 on 1 situations. we have neither. Hubert and this bullshit system is terrible right now.

Reactions: al would
agree. the whole 4 out offense requires solid shooters and a wing that can get to the rim at will in 1 on 1 situations. we have neither. Hubert and this bullshit system is terrible right now.
4 out by it's very definition requires you to have 4 respectable shooters, 4 guys that can hit shots if left open to the extent defenders have to stay close to them, just as 5 out requires 5 outside shooters. Last season for the vast majority of the minutes we had 3 shooters on the floor + Leaky and Bacot. So we try to hammer the square peg Leaky shooter in to a round 3pt shooter hole, wonder why we struggled to score?

Hubert tried to install a 5 out deal early this season which requires you to have 5 guys able to hit those outside shots, we had 3 on the court for most of the minutes, gee I wonder why it didn't work? WE heated up last season and ran to the NCAAT championship game because Leaky went super defender on the other teams best players, Leaky is not Leaky right now, he has been heated up in the last few games, rumor of a ankle sprain that has him slowed.

So maybe, if you are going to have our starting line up maybe those players better fit to Roy's preferred style of keeping his bigs in and owing the paint?

Go Heels!
Very well said. I have been saying this since game one of this year. Unlike last season we have a deep and very talented bench. Not playing them hurts us on many different fronts. Number one: you can’t have starters play these kinds of minutes and make the mistakes that they make in every single game. To your point, when they are not performing then they need to sit. Hubert talks about this all of the time but he rarely does it 2) you develop your very talented players on the bench and give them experience and confidence 3) your starters will be fresher 4) you can be a lot more aggressive on defense and attack teams 5) should light a fire under your starters to say hey I don’t care who you are if you don’t bring it every single game and every single possession than you are going to sit.6) your bench players who do come in won’t feel like they have to press and start doing things outside of their purview. Examples in the past are both Styles and McKoy. When they come into games in the past they would press and start shooting 3’s right away. But more to the point is that the bench players will be less stressed and nervous because of the continuous game experience that they will have played in. They will feel more part of the team. We have an experienced veteran team that still don’t know how to play with one another and are still trying to find their identity. We have a starting junior back court with 2 former McDonalds All Americans. Who has that in todays college basketball? They both make freshman like mistakes and they don’t make the players around them better. This is going to hurt the team not only short term but long term as well. Hubert has to game manage and Coach much better. I love Hubert too but it has been very painful to watch a team play against one another instead of for one another. The over dribbling and tunnel vision has to go. There is no reason for this team to be playing this poorly.

Reactions: Archer2

Go Heels!
This!

I wasn't a fan of the Hubert hire, that doesn't sat anything for my thoughts on him personally. He is a Heel through and through, and I'm not even saying someday he won't be among the greats of coaching, but that's not on him for taking the job that's on the school, AD, Roy or who ever in the end made that call.

They put Hubert in a terrible position, It was so terrible it could even be called irresponsible by the powers that be!

I still to this day and will never be okay with them hand picking a guy with not only zero head coaching experience but zero coaching experience at all from a TV booth to hire for arguably the best coaching job in college basketball and maybe in basketball period.

If that was the plain to pick someone and groom them why not, someone with some experience if only a little bit!

Con you imagine if when Ohio state said we are going to bring Kirk Herbstreit in to learn how to coach and then when it's time we are going to make him the coach of it 10 years or if it 25 years!

Think about how absurd that sounds! That is 100% what we did with Hubert! Like it, hate it or what ever that what we did!

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Wasn't a huge fan of having to stay in the family for the head coaching position. I thought there were better coaches out there to at least talk to. I also think coaching Caleb Love is really difficult. I also think this team only goes as far as Caleb takes it. Difficult situation. I'll reserve most of my full judgment after Caleb leaves. Looks like he's getting some good players coming in.

I always like coaches who are nimble with their system and philosophy depending on the talent they have. Honestly, some of the Roy praise here surprises me. He didn't really change his system. It took him like 3/4 of the year with that one bad PJ Hairston team where it was clear McAdoo couldn't score in the block his entire career to play outside-in. We're now praising Roy for subbing out dudes if they played bad? Of course Roy did that. He was a chronic over-substituter during the regular season.

Hubert's easy to pick on right now because he's replacing a legend, he's new, and things don't look great right now. But I'll give him this. If you told me that a team that starts Caleb Love would be about 3 minutes away from winning a National Championship, I would assume the coach did a really good job with that team. You think Roy could've taken last year's team anywhere? Roy never took any non-elite team anywhere. I don't think this is all that complicated. If Hubert recruits really well, we will probably be really good. I don't think this is a Matt Doherty situation.

But I'll admit... I didn't think this team was all that good heading into this season. I thought last year's March run was a bit of a fluke and not a true representation of what that team was on most days. Maybe Hubert is a victim of the fluke successful run. So maybe I'm kinder to him because my expectations aren't that high for this team. I can understand if you had really high expectations.

It takes a concerted effort to be the worst poster on this site.
#CongratsSDung 🗑️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT