ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Football, Bly Mutually Decide to Part Ways

Guessing they might be waiting until after the portal closes, but players can still enter and have 3rd parties reach out to schools. Word is Mack offered a different position to Dre and he declined. Also saw somewhere else that this had been in the works for a while and Dre has had interviews with other schools. Not going to lie, I love my Heels but I will laugh if Cross stays and they think this move was really going to move the needle.
Yeah, I feel like Cross needs to go regardless of how close he is to the players. We are having pretty much the same issues under Chizik that we had under Bateman. That would seem to indicate it's not the scheme that's the problem. Need to also look at S&C as well as the culture. It seems like some of these guys look a little too comfortable. We need some players that are in your face type players. Mack has got to be tougher on them.

there's definitely a lot more wrong with the defense than bly's corners. if chizik doesn't change some of his scheme/game plan it's useless to make position coach changes unless he can find 3 stud D linemen from somewhere (which is very unlikely)
Bingo, albeit Chizik did start making some changes. He started blitzing more. I cannot figure out why he had our corners setting up so far back but I am not a coach.
Blaming the secondary all on Dre isn't fair to me. They got better as we played some new guys is what I saw, and so maybe there was something more to the poor performance.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
I wonder if there will be more changes. I would think it would have been announced by now. The Bly change surprised me, so I guess it's possible we aren't done.
Bateman also didn't like Bly. Bly certainly wasn't the reason we're playing so far off the line of scrimmage, but it is interesting that neither DC seems to have been a fan of Bly as a coach.

Bateman also didn't like Bly. Bly certainly wasn't the reason we're playing so far off the line of scrimmage, but it is interesting that neither DC seems to have been a fan of Bly as a coach.
Heard about Bateman not being a fan but not Chizik. Not surprising as Dre believes in a physical, press man philosophy and Chizik/Warren doesn’t. Dre’s outgoing personality isn’t for everyone.

So what is the plan?

I'm not a Mack-lover for asking. I don't care if you think I am.

The deadly combo of Chizik and Warren just turned in an altogether atrocious defense and we parted ways with our best recruiter.

I don't see a plan.

And before you answer, understand the difference between an objective and a way to obtain the objective..The latter is a plan. The former is a hope.
No plan that keeps the problems is going to work. The problems on D began when Mack chose the staff, which initially featured one of his best old buddies Greg Robinson, who always was terrible. Mack chose a D staff that would be buddies with him and with Robinson. Mack did not choose a D staff based on getting the best possible position coaches to deal with the most common and prolific offenses in current CFB.

Mack's central part of his plan on D was derailed, rightly, when he introduced Robinson to people at Kenan as his DC. A couple of TOS staffers were there, and they were ready run with that choice precisely because it was so bad it was the biggest news. The reaction against Robinson was so huge and fierce, and so quick, that Mack was forced to make a change. That meant the he was making a new DC live with choices that he picked initially to be very friendly with both him and Robinson - he expected that would mean the staff would get along and always be on the same page. A new DC without those ties would never fit into that plan.

And it always was a bust. Bateman never could get those position coaches all on the same page with him. After the 6-7 season, Bateman was asked by Mack (Per TOS) what he intended to do to get the D on track, and Bateman said that the entire staff needed to be replaced. Mack chose to do what I expected based on his history: fire the guy who was not among his long time friends and keep all his long time friends. So Bateman got fired. That was never going to be a nearly complete fix, regardless of the new DC, because the entire D staff was wrong from the start. Bateman's answer had been correct: the D position coaches as a group, as chosen by Mack, was the problem on D.

So if Chizik and Warren get to pick a new CB coach who is a sound teacher of CB fundamentals and is not going to buck heads against Chizik and Warren, then that is one small improvment. But it does nothing for the many issues with the DL. And a weak DL always makes everything much harder for everybody else on D. Cross clearly has no answers for anything, save that he and Mack are old buds.

Mack handcuffed Longo much the same way, just not as badly: Mack picked a bunch of position coaches on offense that Mack liked personally. Every coordinator who gets stuck with position coaches who cannot do the job that he wants is handcuffed. Longo, for example, would not have picked Seareles as his OL coach. Perhaps if Longo and Bicknell had worked together the entire time, UNC's Red Zone offense might have been better. Galloway has yet to produce a consistent 2nd team of WRs in any season. If we had a WR coach able to do that, perhaps the rest of the offense would have picked up as well.

For D for 2023, replace Cross with someone that Chizik respects as an SEC type DL coach. And hold every position coach accountable. No coach requires 5 or 4, even 3, years to show that he can do the job.

Heard about Bateman not being a fan but not Chizik. Not surprising as Dre believes in a physical, press man philosophy and Chizik/Warren doesn’t. Dre’s outgoing personality isn’t for everyone.
He's a big talker, and big talk gets no work done while easily distracting people from seeing that. Bly was totally incapable of teaching his CBs how not to get beat off the line, which means that they had to be backed up to prevent giving up endless long TD catches.

• Haha
Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
you make lots of good points @WoadBlue - what i can't understand though is why chiz/warren didn't change the way cross/bly were coaching. think mack wouldn't let them or was it something else. simple things like getting off blocks for Dlinemen or turning you head for CBs should have been something chiz/warren could have impacted over the course of a season.

He's a big talker, and big talk gets no work done while easily distracting people from seeing that. Bly was totally incapable of teaching his CBs how not to get beat off the line, which means that they had to be backed up to prevent giving up endless long TD catches.
Lololol! You think Chizik implemented this defense because of Bly!!??? I’ve heard it all now. Good god. I thought you said your boy Warren was going to whip him and these DB’s into shape! Wait until you see the defense in 2023, hint, not gonna change. Warren oversaw all of the DB’s, including Kelly. How did he do this year? You think all of a sudden Chizik is going to start playing press man coverage now that Dre is gone?

Last edited:
Chiz can't coach D from the booth maybe he needs to try the sidelines .. still wouldn't work for him

Mack had to do something. Yea, I know that Bly was looked upon as a great recruiter. And you certainly need folks that can recruit. But the secondary was absolutely horrible this year, so what good is bringing in good players if they aren't coached up to play well? Somehow this secondary made the freshman from Clemson look like Trevor Lawrence, yet Tennessee, who didn't exactly have a stellar defense, handled him pretty well. Hopefully Mack can bring in someone that can coach what talent is here as I just don't think Bly is that skilled as a coach. You see that sometimes with former great players. They could do it, but have a difficult time coaching a player that don't have the skills to do what they did

Mack had to do something. Yea, I know that Bly was looked upon as a great recruiter. And you certainly need folks that can recruit. But the secondary was absolutely horrible this year, so what good is bringing in good players if they aren't coached up to play well? Somehow this secondary made the freshman from Clemson look like Trevor Lawrence, yet Tennessee, who didn't exactly have a stellar defense, handled him pretty well. Hopefully Mack can bring in someone that can coach what talent is here as I just don't think Bly is that skilled as a coach. You see that sometimes with former great players. They could do it, but have a difficult time coaching a player that don't have the skills to do what they did
No matter who they bring in, if they do, Warren coaches the entire secondary. It was absolutely horrible this year, under the new DC and co-DC, Chizik and Warren. Doesn't matter how good of a secondary coach you are, the DB's can't cover for 10 seconds with a defense that ranked dead last in P5 in sacks forced. Mack offered Dre a different job, he didn't straight up fire Dre. Lastly, Dre recruited QB's, RB's, OL, LB'ers, DL in addition to DB's. He was the lead guy with Sam, Drake, Downs, Silver, Holloway, Rice, Chapman, Gray, Pettaway etc.

Shaw, a DL, not happy with the move.

11570436.png

Sure did, but to his credit, he ranked #10 on the DL in terms of snaps played as a true freshman with 156 snaps in 14 games. He'll have a much more bigger impact in year 2.
It's just a bad look for him to do that. Keep that in house. Kids just need to stay off of social media.

IU was 120th in pass D last year. Warren wants to run his scheme and picked a guy he coached with at IU that he's obviously comfortable with to coach under him.

I posted this on another thread, but I cannot get this confirmed. I have tried, but nobody is confirming it.

Another underwhelming hire. Cross, one of the biggest problems, is still on the staff. Coaches know Mack is halfway out the door and aren’t going to come to the Hill and be let go a year or two later.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Is he known as a recruiter? If he isn't going to be coaching, he needs to be a really good recruiter.
Warren is not about slick crap in any form - he is about all the old fashioned fundamentals. That means he assumes that coaches coach.

Warren is not about slick crap in any form - he is about all the old fashioned fundamentals. That means he assumes that coaches coach.
Let’s hope those fundamentals show in year 2. He’s got his scheme, his hand picked guys from the portal and hand picked DB coach.

A guy who actually has a coaching resume - unlike Bly.

That's my read on this. Dre' had four years and they were quite underwhelming. Jones has been a part of some good defenses with DBs posting nice numbers.

Shout out to Dre for making the move to the NFL with the Detriot Lions! He'll coach up former New Bern Bear and Tar Heel, Mike Hughes. Mike and I have known each other for 10 years. When he entered the NFL Draft, he made visits to several NFL teams for interviews as he was slated to be drafted in the first or second rounds. Each team gave him swag and after he was drafted by the Vikings, he knew I was a Green Bay fan and gave me the Packer hoodie that the team gave him. Will be fun to see a former Tar Heel coach up a former Heel. Happy for Dre!

Last edited:
Shout out to Dre for making the move to the NFL with the Detriot Lions! He'll coach up former New Bern Bear and Tar Heel, Mike Hughes. Mike and I have known each other for 10 years. When he entered the NFL Draft, he made visits to several NFL teams for interviews as he was slated to be drafted in the first or second rounds. Each team gave him swag and after he was drafted by the Vikings, he knew I was a Green Bay fan and gave me the Packer hoodie that the team gave him. Will be fun to see a former Tar Heel coach up a former Heel. Happy for Dre!

that's pretty cool.

Also on the topic of Dre being an CB position coach in the NFL, I heard the LA Rams are going to hire Cross.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT