ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina Football, Bly Mutually Decide to Part Ways

train trainwreck GIF

• Love
Reactions: Archer2
I have zero inside info, but I'm guessing Chizik recommend that Bly be let go. Chizik isn't the problem with the defense. If we're being honest, the biggest problem is Mack's culture that he's created.
We'll see here in the next few weeks if Bly was the fall guy as no doubt Mack is getting pressure from boosters/fans to make changes. Letting go of an assistant coach/recruiter isn't going to fix the myriad of issues within the program. Cross was handing out offers last night so I'm curious if they hire someone to coach alongside Cross and have a DE/DT coach.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I have zero inside info, but I'm guessing Chizik recommend that Bly be let go. Chizik isn't the problem with the defense. If we're being honest, the biggest problem is Mack's culture that he's created.
Mack's culture? Because the defensive culture was so great when Fedora was the coach?

Mack's culture? Because the defensive culture was so great when Fedora was the coach?
What Fedora did doesn't impact Mack's culture. He should strive to be better than Fedora. Mack's approach was ok the first couple of years. Probably what was needed, but that time has passed. It's time for him and the other coaches to get in these players face and make them mean. They're too soft.

Reactions: randman1
This was inevitable but wish he would have stayed on as a recruiter. 757 pipeline is over.
Hiring a form players who has essentially 0 coaching experience was at best stupid to them. It revealed a grandpa coach mentality wanting some more good times with the grandkids.

Cross needs to go as well.

Hiring a form players who has essentially 0 coaching experience was at best stupid to them. It revealed a grandpa coach mentality wanting some more good times with the grandkids.

Searels had a ton of experience, how did that work out? UNC needed a guy to bring in players, Dre did that. Downs, Sam, Drake, Gray, Pettaway, Rice, Chapman, Holloway etc. UNC needed an infusion of talent coming off 5 wins in 2 years going into Mack 2.0. Would've loved to see him get to teach a defense with a nasty DL that could get after the QB along with his preference of a press/man physical aggressive type of D. Not a soft outdated bend but don't break scheme.

Interested to see who Mack brings in and how long it will take woad to bitch about it.
You mean the way I bitched about bringing back Warren?

The Mack-lovers are no sharper Harper than the Bunting-lovers. And each of you assumes that my being right about what all is going to go bad wrong eventually is proof that all I do is comop0lian for the noise.

If grandpa Mack had never hired Bly and Cross in the first place, we'd have been better off the past 4 seasons (assuming he made good hires).

Searels had a ton of experience, how did that work out? UNC needed a guy to bring in players, Dre did that. Downs, Sam, Drake, Gray, Pettaway, Rice, Chapman, Holloway etc. UNC needed an infusion of talent coming off 5 wins in 2 years going into Mack 2.0. Would've loved to see him get to teach a defense with a nasty DL that could get after the QB along with his preference of a press/man physical aggressive type of D. Not a soft outdated bend but don't break scheme.
Just like Bunting defenders, you'll be making the hiring of the no-coach ability Bly forever.

Lots of people can recruit.

You realize we probably don't get Howell, Downs, just to name a few without Dre Bly right?
No, I do not. Bly couldn't bring in younger Downs, so why would I assume that older Downs came totally because of Bly and not because grandpa Mack as well as the general optimism of. a coaching change.

Just like Bunting defenders, you'll be making the hiring of the no-coach ability Bly forever.

Lots of people can recruit.
This has nothing to do with Bunting. Lots of people can recruit talent like that at UNC? LOL! Coming off 5 wins in 2 years, UNC absolutely needed a former player, former All-American, Super Bowl champ to back up that mantra of a "40 year decision" to get folks to come to UNC. Someone that could back up the talk. I know you don't understand.

Last edited:
No -he was just the guy who kept ruining the secondary.
Where do you get this info? Because former players/recruits, parents, high school coaches disagree. Bateman had been coaching in college for 20+ years, Chizik, his entire life and Warren had 17 years of experience. You think Dre was in there teaching them to play soft, take bad angles and to not turn around? 3 things he never did while playing? Come on, old timer.

No, I do not. Bly couldn't bring in younger Downs, so why would I assume that older Downs came totally because of Bly and not because grandpa Mack as well as the general optimism of. a coaching change.
Dre was his primary recruiter. Probably because that's his nephew. I don't blame Caleb Downs for not wanting to play here now especially in Chizik's 🗑️ scheme.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Caleb didn't want to play in this scheme and knew Josh was going pro, which means they wouldn't be playing together. Yes, blame Dre because Caleb wanted to play for Nick Saban. LOL. Try again

No -he was just the guy who kept ruining the secondary.
This isn't the same tune you were singing after Chizik and Warren were hired --

Warren is going to teach the DBs how to play their positions correctly. And he will teach Bly how to coach DBs. And he will teach the LBs how to play pass defense. He can teach all of them how to tackle properly.

If he has the time, he can do all of that, and do it well.

Last edited:
You mean the way I bitched about bringing back Warren?

The Mack-lovers are no sharper Harper than the Bunting-lovers. And each of you assumes that my being right about what all is going to go bad wrong eventually is proof that all I do is comop0lian for the noise.

If grandpa Mack had never hired Bly and Cross in the first place, we'd have been better off the past 4 seasons (assuming he made good hires).
So what is the plan?

I'm not a Mack-lover for asking. I don't care if you think I am.

The deadly combo of Chizik and Warren just turned in an altogether atrocious defense and we parted ways with our best recruiter.

I don't see a plan.

And before you answer, understand the difference between an objective and a way to obtain the objective..The latter is a plan. The former is a hope.

don't forget that replacing longo is supposed to have a big positive impact on our defense and the way they practice - so we got that working for us.

Like most hate to see him go in regards to the effect on recruiting wish he could stay and do just recruiting

Without Dre Bly there was no Sam Howell, Josh Downs and that's to name a few. Did the corners develop as they should.. probably not but he has way more to offer the program than a position coach. The Charlotte, Virginia pipeline was all Dre. You do what's needed keep that in the program. I believe someone else recognized his value and is pursuing him.

Without Dre Bly there was no Sam Howell, Josh Downs and that's to name a few. Did the corners develop as they should.. probably not but he has way more to offer the program than a position coach. The Charlotte, Virginia pipeline was all Dre. You do what's needed keep that in the program. I believe someone else recognized his value and is pursuing him.
You're wasting your time with him. Unless you are going to 100% agree with him on everything, he is going to think you don't know anything and are a Bunting supporter. Hell, you could have a different favorite color than him and he would probably think you're stupid.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Don’t blame him for leaving as I’m sure he hasn’t enjoyed helping teach these schemes with soft coverages and a DL that ranked 128 out of 131 teams.

I wonder if there will be more changes. I would think it would have been announced by now. The Bly change surprised me, so I guess it's possible we aren't done.

I wonder if there will be more changes. I would think it would have been announced by now. The Bly change surprised me, so I guess it's possible we aren't done.
Guessing they might be waiting until after the portal closes, but players can still enter and have 3rd parties reach out to schools. Word is Mack offered a different position to Dre and he declined. Also saw somewhere else that this had been in the works for a while and Dre has had interviews with other schools. Not going to lie, I love my Heels but I will laugh if Cross stays and they think this move was really going to move the needle.

there's definitely a lot more wrong with the defense than bly's corners. if chizik doesn't change some of his scheme/game plan it's useless to make position coach changes unless he can find 3 stud D linemen from somewhere (which is very unlikely)

Reactions: randman1
You're wasting your time with him. Unless you are going to 100% agree with him on everything, he is going to think you don't know anything and are a Bunting supporter. Hell, you could have a different favorite color than him and he would probably think you're stupid.
Funny. Someone messaged me that sentiment a short time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT