ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs UVA Gamethread

Howell is a freshman, Javonte and Dyami are both sophomore. That’s the three best playmakers on offense and they are all underclassmen. It’s hard to not be excited about the offensive potential for the next few years.

And when you combine that with an absolutely loaded defensive recruiting class our roster looks pretty solid for the next few years.

Look, it sucks to lose another close one. But we’re headed in the right direction. Still think we may need another OC. But with our youth, the fact that we’re in the first year under a new staff, and the influx of talent next year, the future looks bright.
Agree we are headed in the right direction but not sure right now we need to replace any coaches. Go Heels!

Reactions: Realfreedom
did you see th ball literally bounce back underneath perkins... thay was unfreakin believable
Yeah, we could've used a break there but didn't get it. I really wish this D was better at creating turnovers, but again I know this is a process and the talent influx for next year will be huge.

Look, it sucks to lose another close one. But we’re headed in the right direction. Still think we may need another OC. But with our youth, the fact that we’re in the first year under a new staff, and the influx of talent next year, the future looks bright.
I'm willing to stick with Longo for another year. We already look great (at times) this year but aren't executing consistently, but to be fair Longo does call some boneheaded plays as well.

However, all the significant skill guys return, and if the WR's stop dropping so many freaking balls, the Heels could be putting up some HUGE numbers next year.

UVA had a great game plan offensively. They did their homework. I'll give them credit for that. They had our defense just guessing, and playing with no emotion, other than running their mouth.
I would have taken the field goal instead if going for it on 4th down in the first half. Had we done that, we could have gotten another one and kicked off with 5 minutes to go and still have 3 time outs, and only needing a field goal to win it.

I'm willing to stick with Longo for another year. We already look great (at times) this year but aren't executing consistently, but to be fair Longo does call some boneheaded plays as well.

However, all the significant skill guys return, and if the WR's stop dropping so many freaking balls, the Heels could be putting up some HUGE numbers next year.
Longo seems to do the Fed thing and get too cutesy and outthink himself at crucial times. And when we’re running the ball down their throat, he goes away from it. Did he not see UVA pass the ball on every down of a 13 play scoring drive because we couldn’t cover their receivers? It drives me to distraction.

As for our WR’s, I’ve never seen so many dropped passes. If we catch the ball, we win that game. We make difficult catches and drop routine ones. That’s a lack of concentration.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Longo seems to do the Fed thing and get too cutesy and outthink himself at crucial times. And when we’re running the ball down their throat, he goes away from it. Did he not see UVA pass the ball on every down of a 13 play scoring drive because we couldn’t cover their receivers? It drives me to distraction.

As for our WR’s, I’ve never seen so many dropped passes. If we catch the ball, we win that game. We make difficult catches and drop routine ones. That’s a lack of concentration.
Agree, he needs to stop with the cutesy crap (especially the wildcat). It does seem like he's overthinking it. Just keep hammering them with Javonte or Michael, and make them stop it.

The offense was really good last night for the most part. But the dadgum drops, and poor execution in the red zone did us in.

Dont have any issues with the coaching. Were thin in secondary anyway, and then injuries have really hurt them. Not a lot of options when you just dont have the bodies to do the job. Have to hedge against the big play over the top. UVA knew that and just played pitch and catch on those short routes to the sideline. Does Longo make some questionable calls? It appears sometimes he does. But he is merely playing the mind game of guessing what he thinks they are going to do. UNC just needs more talent to execute on both sides of the ball. Once that point is reached, things will work much more smoothly

Reactions: Archer2

So it’s hard for me to bash Longo too much as this was his best game. But there still some things that irk me.

- run the ball more. Carter and Williams averaged over 6 a carry. They combined for 30 rushes.

- our offense is great between the 20’s and pretty terrible in the red zone. Longo wants to our athlete you to get big yards. But that doesn’t work in the red zone.

- I know we have a lot of drops but the degree of difficulty is pretty high on a lot of these deep throws. Sam throws an amazing deep ball so most of his passes are there for the WR to make a play. But those 40 yard go routes are hard to catch. We just have more drops because we run them so much more than any other team.

- We seem to have very little in the playbook other than Go Routes and RB draws. We have to find a way to move the ball besides that. We become very predictable in the red zone. I heard we were gonna use our TEs more this year. We aren’t. 1-3 in the RZ ain’t cutting it.

- the defense struggled today and the offense was t there to bail them out. I’m not sure Bateman got out coached as much as nothing we did worked. UVA ran max protect for Perkins and gave him plenty of time.

- STs is a disaster. Not calling a TO on that fake punt was unforgivable.

^^^^
Have to agree with that.

We simply need more talent on both sides of the ball, especially on defense. Thank goodness help is on the way.

I agree that we get away from the run when it’s working well for us. If something is working, keep running it until they prove they can stop it.

literally just picked this thread back up today.

show of hands, thoughts on mack not kicking the fg down 38-31?

personally, i kick it.

personally, i kick it.
I didn’t have a problem with the decision at the time... Had put together a good drive, still would have needed a TD to win the game even with the FG, and we have had very good success on 4th downs this year...

Now obviously in hindsight Yes the FG attempt was the better choice!!

personally, i kick it.
At that point I thought going for it was the right call because we would still need a touchdown to take the lead. As I mentioned earlier, not kicking it in the first half and going for it came back to bite us. Leaving those 3 points off the board dictated that decision. With all these close games we are in, it would seem it advantageous for us to take all available points.

I'm fine with going for it but it probably would've been a better call to run the ball on third down. Their defense was primarily focused on keeping us out of the end zone and picking up a few more yards could've either gotten us a first down or a fourth and short which would have opened up the play book

Right. The reason it "didn't work" is because we don't yet have the horses to mount an effective pass rush against an O-line like UVA's.
UVA's offensive line struggled all yr. dook has a better o line according to all the analyst on this sight and tos. we just dont have the horses yet but they are coming?

personally, i kick it.
Being down 38-34 means you still have to score a TD to win or tie. If you fail to score the TD on 4th down, and the foe gets the ball inside the 5, you can have sound reason to hope your D can make the hold and force the punt from the end zone.

I think somebody on our D got a hand on Perkins on that 1st down when he was on the 2. If that tackled is made, the game may well have ended very differently.

We are far too thin on D. Ray Vohasek was lined up in the middle, as the NG, for a couple of plays. The guy played DE on a 4 man front in Juco last year, and we are so thin at DT and NG that he plays in the middle of the 3 man DL for us a few plays. We have seen absolutely nothing, not a hint of sign of anything, in terms of development by Lawless and Taylor, and barely more than that by Gill. Crawford and Strowbridge get tired.

Position coaching cannot be successful if there is little player development.

We've had virtually play making from OLBs. In a 3-4, if you don't have OLBs who make plays, including when they move forward to be stand up DEs, then you have a major problem that offenses can exploit.

Our secondary got injured players back and looked worse.

The knock on a couple of our guys from NFL scouts is they take plays off. That touchdown we gave up to start the second was 100% lack of effort. Defense was sucking air late in the game, so I'm sure it's mostly due to lack of depth, but those breakdowns are costly. This team simply doesn't have very much margin for error. Still trending in the right direction - just need to learn how to win close games.

Being down 38-34 means you still have to score a TD to win or tie. If you fail to score the TD on 4th down, and the foe gets the ball inside the 5, you can have sound reason to hope your D can make the hold and force the punt from the end zone.

I think somebody on our D got a hand on Perkins on that 1st down when he was on the 2. If that tackled is made, the game may well have ended very differently.

We are far too thin on D. Ray Vohasek was lined up in the middle, as the NG, for a couple of plays. The guy played DE on a 4 man front in Juco last year, and we are so thin at DT and NG that he plays in the middle of the 3 man DL for us a few plays. We have seen absolutely nothing, not a hint of sign of anything, in terms of development by Lawless and Taylor, and barely more than that by Gill. Crawford and Strowbridge get tired.

Position coaching cannot be successful if there is little player development.

We've had virtually play making from OLBs. In a 3-4, if you don't have OLBs who make plays, including when they move forward to be stand up DEs, then you have a major problem that offenses can exploit.

Our secondary got injured players back and looked worse.

Yeah, DEs in Bateman's defense have a lot more responsibility than the scheme under Fedora. That's part of the development. Then some of them just need to get better at the point of contact.

just watched that sequence again...i think running it on 3rd was a better idea.

i still kick it knowing i need a td and a fg anyway being down 38-31 to win...there were five minutes left in the game at that point.

Dont have any issues with the coaching. Were thin in secondary anyway, and then injuries have really hurt them. Not a lot of options when you just dont have the bodies to do the job.
Actually the only D starter missing was Rene. Only backup secondary missing was Cam'Ron Kelly. Our secondary is doing pretty well injury wise since Morrison, Wolfolk and Storm were all back. We just played poorly, and Bateman bet the ranch that taking away QB run was best approach and that their passing game wouldn't be so awesome.

I do not pretend to be some expert concerning football play calling or strategy but I think Mack would be better served by a better offensive coach. IMO, play calling is suspect and head scratching at times. We need a guy with equal skills to Bateman calling offensive plays. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT