ADVERTISEMENT

Coach suspended after 161-2 win

yrusonvus

All-American
Oct 28, 2007
Ok, we've seen this thing before, ya know lopsided wins, but Coach Anderson had his girls in a full court press the entire first half; subsequently, the half time score was 104-1.

Before giving your thoughts on this read some of the comments. Hilarious.

This post was edited on 1/17 12:15 AM by yrusonvus

Say it ain't so Coach

I had a buddy who coached a private school boy's team to a State Championship a few years back, which I only mention as an interesting contrast to how he got started. So before that he started coaching the girls. One of his first games, with a really terrible team, he got beat something like that (think it was more like 104-6 or something). Anyway, the other coached pressed the entire game, not just the first half. Seemed unnecessary.

Yeah, pressing full court for as long as they did doesn't make a lot of sense . . not sure how running up the score is beneficial to your own team.

Some of those comments are funny.

Whaaaaaa. Suck it up people. I agree with Colin Cowherd on this. Sends a bad message to not excel.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Whaaaaaa. Suck it up people. I agree with Colin Cowherd on this. Sends a bad message to not excel.

I would agree with this at the professional or even college level to an extent. Still, even on those levels you generally see more sportsmanship than what was shown here. Then again, I'm a teacher and tend to find things like sportsmanship important when kids are young, and they are still young in HS. They could have not pressed and still probably one 120-2 or something like that. It seems that would be sufficient to consider it 'excelling'. I grew up playing volleyball and in some of our leagues if we were playing a weaker team we would forget the jump serves and even work on placement at times instead of just hammering spikes away on people. So instead of embarrassing some poor dude I could still hammer a pretty solid overhand serve that would be difficult to return or even work on some spin serves or something else. The winning coach could have used this to work on various things, zone defenses, girls playing different positions, etc.... Things that could benefit his team while not showing up the other team.

Originally posted by coryfly:
Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

I would agree with this at the professional or even college level to an extent. Still, even on those levels you generally see more sportsmanship than what was shown here. Then again, I'm a teacher and tend to find things like sportsmanship important when kids are young, and they are still young in HS. They could have not pressed and still probably one 120-2 or something like that. It seems that would be sufficient to consider it 'excelling'. I grew up playing volleyball and in some of our leagues if we were playing a weaker team we would forget the jump serves and even work on placement at times instead of just hammering spikes away on people. So instead of embarrassing some poor dude I could still hammer a pretty solid overhand serve that would be difficult to return or even work on some spin serves or something else. The winning coach could have used this to work on various things, zone defenses, girls playing different positions, etc.... Things that could benefit his team while not showing up the other team.
How do you know he wasn't playing some of the girls at different positions? How do you know he wasn't running experimental plays? You don't. Just because they were pressing means they were trying to embarrass the other team? That's the style that team plays. The second stringers need to practice that too.

IMO, it would be more embarrassing if my team is so bad that my opponent has to basically dribble the clock out everytime they touch the ball because they're beating us so badly.

The last people on the bench could practice pressing for a bit if they needed it. I think it is pretty unreasonable to think they would need to practice the entire game, since practicing the press against a team that clearly can't come close to beating it is basically worthless practice.

Originally posted by BillyL:
Yeah, pressing full court for as long as they did doesn't make a lot of sense . . not sure how running up the score is beneficial to your own team.

Some of those comments are funny.
Yeah, but what if Bloomington got hot and hit 53 three pointers in a row, then you have a tie ball game. All because you had your team take their foot off the gas. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT