ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal Ball

Yeah, but did ol' Roy slip a quiet something to young Mr. Anthony? :cool:
giphy.gif

I thought I posted an update last week (mainly no changes) but maybe I never hit the "Post" button. So here's one....

Despite many expecting to see more offers - Green and Anthony getting lots of mentions - no new offers have appeared on the list.

Jeremiah Francis has slipped from #50 to #125. That seems more than just an adjustment for his injury. Is the injury really that bad, or is there something else going on?

Another kid whose ranking slipped a lot is Nickelberry. Not that we care, but the Louisville commit now comes in at #83. Previously mid-50s.

A few other (more minor) adjustments in rankings, but no meaningful changes in predictions.

Code:
Player       Rank #P  Schools %                  Trend

Nickelberry  Committed to Louisville.  CB prediction Louisville.
Moore        21   16  Duke 88% UNC 12%           No Change
Brooks       15    8  MSU 50% IND 38% UK 12%     No Change
Carey         2   13  Duke 54% Miami 23% MSU 23% No change
Hurt          6   13  KU 77% MN 15% ?? 08        Kansas
RobinsonEarl 18    8  KU 100%                    No Change
Wiseman       1   19  Memph 58% UK 42%           No Change
Baker        25    8  UCLA 75% UNC 25%           No Change
Bacot        26   13  UNC 100%                   No Change

I thought I posted an update last week (mainly no changes) but maybe I never hit the "Post" button. So here's one....

Despite many expecting to see more offers - Green and Anthony getting lots of mentions - no new offers have appeared on the list.

Jeremiah Francis has slipped from #50 to #125. That seems more than just an adjustment for his injury. Is the injury really that bad, or is there something else going on?

Another kid whose ranking slipped a lot is Nickelberry. Not that we care, but the Louisville commit now comes in at #83. Previously mid-50s.

A few other (more minor) adjustments in rankings, but no meaningful changes in predictions.

Code:

Hurt          6   13  KU 77% MN 15% ?? 08        Kansas
Wiseman       1   19  Memph 58% UK 42%           No Change
Baker        25    8  UCLA 75% UNC 25%           No Change
There is definitely a bias towards certain schools. I saw Giles before, and after the injuries. No way he should have been a top 3 or even 10 player after the injury. Yet a UNC kid gets injured and it's time for them to tumble right on down. If he was committed to dook, UK, or KU the excuse of we can't drop his ranking because of injury would be used. So what's the difference with other schools players

Does ranking matter with someone like Jeremiah? We know what we've got with him. All that matters is whether he will come back 100% from his injury. And it sounds like he will.

He was always going to be a 4 year player for us.
It's more the biased view that certain schools get than the rankings themselves. Evaluators eat up kids committed to certain schools while snubbing others.

I saw him before the injury...he was an absolute freak and deserved his ranking.
I saw h before injury as well. He WAS a freak. Problem is after injury he wasn't the same freak. That's my point he doesn't drop and the excuse is well we can't drop him in rankings because of injury. Had that been another kid who was going to a different School other than the ones I mentioned earlier injury would be used to justify a drop in rank

Does ranking matter with someone like Jeremiah? We know what we've got with him. All that matters is whether he will come back 100% from his injury. And it sounds like he will.

Prof with the voice of reason. Francis will start by his soph year and be a very good PG.

Prof with the voice of reason. Francis will start by his soph year and be a very good PG.

I'm not willing to go that matter of fact with it. The kid has missed a major (MAJOR) developmental year.

That's sort of the way I feel, too, with one caveat. If he's "really" a #125 recruit maybe we ought to be looking for a 2nd PG. Whereas if he's really a #50 because he should fully recover, then we probably don't.

I'm not willing to go that matter of fact with it. The kid has missed a major (MAJOR) developmental year.
This is a legit concern.

And some players never totally get back on track after a serious injury. I don't know enough about his injury to have any insight into that issue.

That's sort of the way I feel, too, with one caveat. If he's "really" a #125 recruit maybe we ought to be looking for a 2nd PG. Whereas if he's really a #50 because he should fully recover, then we probably don't.
You never want to get caught without a couple of guys that can run the point effectively. Jalek’s early departure may have put us in that spot, depending on whether or not Seventh, Coby, or Leaky step up.

It’s why we’ve offered Mann and Anthony. And why we may offer Mills.

According to Rivals, we also have offers out to #44 Chol Marial (center) and #186 Jared Jones (PF).

Some here are saying we also have offers to Anthony and Green.

Any way to confirm these offers?

I can assure you the heels are looking at multiple people who can play the PG in 2019.

That said, we don't need to. We got Seventh.

Honestly, I don't see us landing 2 Elite Bigs in 2019. It's certainly not as unlikely as previous years, but I think Brooks and Manley will both take strong leaps in their sophomore years similar to Maye based on what they've shown us, and one or both could be a viable option for the starting spot by their Junior Year, and 2 Elite guys who could start elsewhere may not want to compete for minutes. Having 2 (3 when you count Huff) Experienced Upperclassmen, and 1 Elite Freshman who could start would look akin to what we had in 2017.

I think our best case scenario is something like:

Francis
Bacot or JRE
Green
A multi-year guy like Tre Mann, CJ Walker, or EJ Liddell, or Caleb Mills.

There's no doubt in my mind that we'd be playing 2nd place to KU for JRE if not for the FBI. And for once that's a good thing, because the FBI's investigation isn't going away any time soon. The longer that holds over their heads, the less attractive they look. After all, didn't Romeo Langford get spooked from KU? Neither they or Arizona seem to be trending for a top recruit since all this stuff broke.

Looks like we've picked up a crystal ball for Mills (Slater). This is definitely an interesting situation. Never seen this much high major attention for a guy who is is unranked on 247 the summer before his senior year.

I can see the appeal. He's extraordinarily shifty and always under control. He's also longer and more athletic than he first appears. Combine that with a great shot, and you have serious potential.

Meh. Francis has the kind of stuff you can't teach. He's already better at being a PG than the guys currently competing for the job here... at least as we speak.

There's no doubt in my mind that we'd be playing 2nd place to KU for JRE if not for the FBI. And for once that's a good thing, because the FBI's investigation isn't going away any time soon. The longer that holds over their heads, the less attractive they look. After all, didn't Romeo Langford get spooked from KU? Neither they or Arizona seem to be trending for a top recruit since all this stuff broke.
I do not believe that is the case at all. Roy was always gonna be in it for Earl and IU was always gonna be a strong contender for Langford.

The biggest thing for us was getting finally shed of the NCAA junk. Now.... If the FBI DOES nail KU? All the better.

Looks like we've picked up a crystal ball for Mills (Slater). This is definitely an interesting situation. Never seen this much high major attention for a guy who is is unranked on 247 the summer before his senior year.

I can see the appeal. He's extraordinarily shifty and always under control. He's also longer and more athletic than he first appears. Combine that with a great shot, and you have serious potential.
I think he’ll get an offer eventually, he’s now a 3* player and will crack the top 100 soon. But does he want to compete with Francis for PT? Did he possibly grow up a Heels fan? I think he has too many D1 offers to do the walk-on thing.

Time will tell, as Roy called him very recently.

I do not believe that is the case at all. Roy was always gonna be in it for Earl and IU was always gonna be a strong contender for Langford.

The biggest thing for us was getting finally shed of the NCAA junk. Now.... If the FBI DOES nail KU? All the better.

Langford's dad said the FBI Investigation removed KU from contention. But whether he was headed there or not isn't too important. What I hope is just having this hanging over Lawrence will have that kind of effect on more of these guys.

Keion Brooks is leaving his high school to attend a elite basketball school as well. Not official, but seems like LaLumarie, the Midwest hoops powerhouse in Indiana will be his choice.

Exciting time to update this, with all the new offers!

Not much change otherwise. Nothing affecting us.

Code:

Anthony       3    6  Duke 83% Ore 17%           First appearance
Mann         33    9  Tenn 44% Fla 44% UNC 11%   First appearance
Green        11    5  UNC 80% Ariz 20%           First appearance
Hurt          6   13  KU 77% MN 15% ?? 08        No Change
Wiseman       1   21  Memph 67% UK 33%           Memphis
Baker        25    8  UCLA 62% UNC 25% Tex 12%   Texas back in the mix

I still feel like we need another offer to a big. Bacot could very well be OAD (if that is still a thing by then) and Manley could be 3AD. Heck, by their junior years we could be worrying about Brooks and Huff, too.

So, yeah, let's have another offer to a big. Maybe to a 3-year type of player who could give good minutes as a frosh (if needed) but needs to develop and mature.

Exciting time to update this, with all the new offers!

Not much change otherwise. Nothing affecting us.

Code:

Anthony       3    6  Duke 83% Ore 17%           First appearance
Mann         33    9  Tenn 44% Fla 44% UNC 11%   First appearance
Green        11    5  UNC 80% Ariz 20%           First appearance
Hurt          6   13  KU 77% MN 15% ?? 08        No Change
Wiseman       1   21  Memph 67% UK 33%           Memphis
Baker        25    8  UCLA 62% UNC 25% Tex 12%   Texas back in the mix

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the 83% for Anthony going to Dook is a typo and is actually us? I haven't heard of any traction with Dook on Anthony and that UNC and Oregon were the teams to beat.

I'm guessing (and hoping) that the 83% for Anthony going to Dook is a typo and is actually us? I haven't heard of any traction with Dook on Anthony and that UNC and Oregon were the teams to beat.
The 83% is correct but I wouldn't pay much attention to that. It's only based on 6 predictions, and our offer hasn't been on the table long. Give it a little time.

OTOH, after a little time has passed, we still haven't made any inroads on Brooks or Robinson-Earl. That's disappointing. I was expecting to see some movement with those guys. Which is why I'm glad we offered Green. He seems to be the guy who might want to be here. And I'd be happy to have him.

Still need another offer to a big, imo.

Reactions: Tarheels39
Bolden 13.0 MPG 3.9 PPG 3.6 RPG 1.0 BPG
Manley 10.0 MPG 5.4 PPG 3.6 RPG 0.6 BPG
Brooks 14.6 MPG 4.5 PPG 3.5 RPG 0.3 BPG

This, despite Bolden being a 5* soph, as opposed to Garrison being a 4* freshman and Sterling being a 3* freshman. And Bolden is expected to be the man inside for dook this year.

I could easily see both of our young bigs increasing their numbers by 50% to:

Manley 15.0 MPG 8.1 PPG 5.4 RPG 0.9 BPG
Brooks 21.9 MPG 7.3 PPG 5.3 RPG 0.5 BPG

if we get this kind of productivity from those two guys this year, we will be fine. And they will form a very strong front line as juniors and seniors. As long as we sign Bacot, we will be in good shape.

Well, one less to consider as possible. Trace Jackson-Davis narrowed his schools down to 6. No UNC. (Indiana, Michigan St., Purdue, UCLA, Wake Forest, and Iowa).

Indiana still heavy on Brooks, but Davis has clearly become their top target.

A few changes since the last update. A stronger lean for Green, but competition for Bacot.

Code:

Anthony       3    6  Duke 83% Ore 17%           No change
Mann         33    9  Tenn 44% Fla 44% UNC 11%   No change
Green        11    6  UNC 83% Ariz 17%           UNC
Hurt          6   13  KU 77% MN 15% ?? 08%       No Change
Wiseman       1   21  Memph 67% UK 33%           No change
Baker        25    8  UCLA 62% UNC 25% Tex 12%   No change
Bacot        26   13  UNC 77% Duke 23%           Duke

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT