ADVERTISEMENT

Dean and Roy

Old_School59

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2003
Rolesville NC
I’ve read a couple posts today that kinda reference Dean and Roy’s coaching styles. I’m curious. With Roy it was run run run, and it was fun to watch. Basically used Deans fast breaks and secondary breaks the same. Wasn’t a great x and o play designer. Defenses close because neither cared about really defending the three, .
Dean did know how to coach a zone and do it well, Roy hadn’t a clue. even he said so.
I seem to remember well Deans teams could win playing a game in the 60-70 range just as easy as he could in the 90-110 range. Roy, not so much. Dean could win with substandard players because he knew how to coach period. Roy needed that PG that had jets or was an outstanding passer. Dean, hard nosed coach on the floor PG who never stopped hustling, and could reliably shoot when called upon. Phil Ford not withstanding. So one would think with HD having played for Dean (who is the GOAT) and sat beside Roy all those years his philosophy would fall somewhere around one of the 2. Yet it seems to me that nothing he learned from either playing for, or sitting next to 2 HOF coaches did him any good. That’s what bothers me to no end. I do love HD as a man, but watching us play this year has been like pulling wisdom teeth.
and yes I would love a Time Machine to go back and experience real Carolina basketball again. Nothing wrong with that at all. Send me the parts if ya got em.

Old_School59, The only power source capable of generating 1.21 gigawatts of electricity is a bolt of lightning. If we could somehow harness this lightning... channel it into the flux capacitor... it just might work.

I’ve read a couple posts today that kinda reference Dean and Roy’s coaching styles. I’m curious. With Roy it was run run run, and it was fun to watch. Basically used Deans fast breaks and secondary breaks the same. Wasn’t a great x and o play designer. Defenses close because neither cared about really defending the three, .
Dean did know how to coach a zone and do it well, Roy hadn’t a clue. even he said so.
I seem to remember well Deans teams could win playing a game in the 60-70 range just as easy as he could in the 90-110 range. Roy, not so much. Dean could win with substandard players because he knew how to coach period. Roy needed that PG that had jets or was an outstanding passer. Dean, hard nosed coach on the floor PG who never stopped hustling, and could reliably shoot when called upon. Phil Ford not withstanding. So one would think with HD having played for Dean (who is the GOAT) and sat beside Roy all those years his philosophy would fall somewhere around one of the 2. Yet it seems to me that nothing he learned from either playing for, or sitting next to 2 HOF coaches did him any good. That’s what bothers me to no end. I do love HD as a man, but watching us play this year has been like pulling wisdom teeth.
and yes I would love a Time Machine to go back and experience real Carolina basketball again. Nothing wrong with that at all. Send me the parts if ya got em.
He doesn't have a philosophy.

Reactions: RoseHeel
Shelving the break after made baskets troubled me the most with Hubert. This team was actually at their best when running, but they weren’t talented enough to create many turnovers, and this years bunch didn’t rebound as well as some in the past, so those points limited opportunities. So in effect the decision not to push after made baskets turned this team into a half court offense. Which was the worst part of their game. Seemed there was little movement and it was watch Love or RJ dribble for 20 seconds then hope for the best with a high ball screen.

Shelving the break after made baskets troubled me the most with Hubert. This team was actually at their best when running, but they weren’t talented enough to create many turnovers, and this years bunch didn’t rebound as well as some in the past, so those points limited opportunities. So in effect the decision not to push after made baskets turned this team into a half court offense. Which was the worst part of their game. Seemed there was little movement and it was watch Love or RJ dribble for 20 seconds then hope for the best with a high ball screen.
No true PG, bad shooters and no good rebounder outside of Bacot makes it tough to play Carolina basket ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT