ADVERTISEMENT

DL Injury Update

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
After speaking with multiple sources, here is the deal regarding injuries and the DL:

*Senior DE Mikey Bart was injured in the scrimmage Monday and was treated afterward. The extent isn't known, but it's not thought of at this time as being serious. We should know more tomorrow.

*Jalen Dalton and Naz Jones did not suffer injuries in the scrimmage Monday. The first-team DL only played a few series, so if any onlooker happened to see Bart injured and then didn't see Dalton or Jones playing anymore, they may have assumed they were injured, but that's not the case. (Note: There were around 50-75 people in the stands, perhaps family members.)

*Junior DE Dajaun Drennon's status has not changed, thus it remains unknown. As reported here before, he was cleared in June and told me at the time he was 100 percent and would be 100 percent doing everything when camp opened. He was optimistic and excited. He was helping demonstrate camp drills and other than a slight limp looked fine. Drennon actually laughed off the limp saying it had become a habit.

Fast forward to the start of camp on Aug. 7, questions were obviously raised when he was not participating in any drills. I was initially told it was as a precaution, the staff wanted to watch him closely before letting him loose with enough time to get ready for the opener on Sept. 3 v. Georgia.

But his situation remains unchanged, and that's concerning. I've asked many sources if his injury is serious and nobody knows. There's been some speculation, but it hasn't been repeated by enough of my sources to note here.

Quite frankly, it's fair to say the staff isn't sure what the deal is. DC Gene Chizik was asked Monday about Drennon's health with the coach replying "I don't know," and we believe now he didn't, and likely doesn't. Just looking at Drennon, who has been wearing pads in practice while stretching and doing some other relative activities, and nothing jumps out. He looks fine.

But based on what I was told today, if the Heels opened up one week from now (on the 24th) he would not play. So, since the Heels actually open up in 17 days, it's looking less and less likely Drennon will be able to go in the Georgia Dome.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News