ADVERTISEMENT

Does the rain help or hurt us on Saturday?

tarheellarryc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2003
As I was packing up my rain gear for the game on Sunday, I was pondering whether the projected rain would help us or hurt us. My first thought was that it would hurt us, since we are a strong passing team and conventional wisdom is that it hurts the passing team as the ball is slick. In an earlier post, I talked about how I watched our lead slip away against Georgia Tech as the strong rain in the second half negated our superior passing game and Georgia Tech's strong running game prevailed.

But as I thought more about it, I think it may actually give us an advantage. First, Drake passed pretty well, and our receivers caught the ball pretty well in the rain during the FAMU game. Our receivers are pretty sure handed. Not a lot of drops. On the other hand, if last Saturday's game is an indication, GSU has a terrible passing game. Their quarterback went 11 straight passes without a completion at one point. Are their receivers sure handed? I didn't see the game. But their quarterback can't be that bad. Some of those incompletions had to be dropped passes. So, I think the edge in the passing game in the rain goes to us.

They have a strong rushing game, but we are no slouches. They ran for 200 against South Carolina. We've rushed for more than that in both of our games. Their rushing quarterback worries me. We always have trouble with those. But Drake does pretty good when he takes off (except for the cartwheels at the end). So, I think we get the edge in the rushing game in the rain also. I predict that we are going to crowd the line, with a lot of bodies in the box, put a "spy" on their quarterback and dare them to throw the pass. Yeah, with our secondary, that's risky. But if his accuracy is that bad, and add in the rain, I like our chances of a few interceptions.

Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News