ADVERTISEMENT

Dook recruit, Joey Baker doesn’t like the way Roy is using Jalek

A recruit that this board fawned over and loved for a long time until he became a dook commit.

In all fairness, there were many here who were not all that high on Baker because like other recent duke commits, he can't play defense. I suspect that's why Roy never offered. Well, that and it appears Baker is a complete douchebag that has duke written all over him.

From the beginning I wondered what everyone saw in this kid. He seemed a little heavy footed and not very athletic to me. I do like his shooting touch though. I now see he was a born pukie! The silver lining is he is causing come of our closet trolls to reveal their true color! {hint: it's an evil shade of blue}

Once again, Roy proves his naysayers wrong!

Are you guys really going to let what some pissant says about Jalek bother you this much? We all know Roy knows what he’s doing in his coaching. Jalek is still learning and he had a rough game. It happens. The kid is talented as hell and he’s only going to get better.

Baker is some high school kid, do you really think anyone on the team or staff cares? Yeah it was a bit douchey, but we won the game. Who’s the real idiot here?

Roll the tape on Paige's first shot at the point. He was a turnover machine. Jalek will be the starting point next year and key contributor in UNC's run to the #1 seed this season.

Reactions: JakeSarna
It's incredibly tacky; you being a dook apologist probably don't understand common manners. Douchey move from a douchey player going to a douchey program.

Honestly, that you care so much and a thread had to be devoted to something to trivial is a disgrace. You want to see a douche? Look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Are you guys really going to let what some pissant says about Jalek bother you this much? We all know Roy knows what he’s doing in his coaching. Jalek is still learning and he had a rough game. It happens. The kid is talented as hell and he’s only going to get better.

Baker is some high school kid, do you really think anyone on the team or staff cares? Yeah it was a bit douchey, but we won the game. Who’s the real idiot here?

I don’t think it’s “really bothering” any of us - certainly not me. And I doubt Roy and the staff even know about it. But we’re Carolina fans and a duke recruit publicly called out our coach. It’s not only our god-given right to beat him up on our message board, it’s our duty.

It’s odd to me that you don’t understand the nature of our rivalry. Maybe "understand" is the wrong word. But you refuse to get on board with the rivalry mindset. Rivalry mindset allows for fans to exaggerate, embellish, or to act irrational at times with regard to the rival. I don't really want Grayson Allen to fail at life. But as a rival fan of duke and because of his douchey, whiney ways, it's perfectly understandable to say things such as "I hope when he gets to the league that someone decides to knock his teeth out when he tries that tripping garbage." That's what rival fans do. But you always come along and attempt to piss on the fire. Look, we get it. You are the model of how to act mature about a rivalry. But that doesn't mean you have to come in on every thread with that "c'mon guys, be rational about this" kind of talk. Can't you just let the ones of us that want to have some fun with it have some fun with it? I don't think you're a closet dukie as many here suggest. But you should at least be able to understand why some here call you and @pln2013 those things when y'all do what y'all do. Y'all don't miss a chance to give some lecture about looking at things in a reasonable way. Rivalries aren't "reasonable" all the time to all people. And besides, most of us here don't really believe a lot of what we write but it's what rivals do and it's fun. Why can't you leave that alone?

Jalek suffers from the plight of many talented freshmen. They come to us with a skill set and demeanor that worked fine in HS. And it might even work fine in one of the OAD factories. But here at Carolina, you are expected to learn the system and learn the game. The flashy Lone Ranger moves that you depended upon as the top talent on your HS team, just don't fit playing team ball with guys who are just as talented and know a lot more.

So . . . kids like Jaleck will show flashes - against weaker teams or in situations when the flow of the game lets them do what they already know how to do. But against better competition, they have to unlearn bad habits and learn good ones.

A lot of frosh go through a mid-season slump. I could be off base but I think of that as the point where they have been punished enough to stop freelancing so much with their HS moves, but before they are fully comfortable fitting in to the team flow and Roy's system. They aren't allowed to do what they know, but don't quite know enough of what they should be doing instead.

Some players take a pretty long time to make that transition. I'm glad to see Jalek getting enough PT. I think Roy really wants him to make that transition sooner rather than later.

And THIS is what Joey Baker doesn't understand. Letting Jalek just do his thing isn't making Jalek a better player, or making UNC a better team.

He said something foolish and was called out for it. You really do need to get your humor meter fixed.
I like pln and cb34 just fine and think they are among our more rational posters. It surprises me that a "bash the dookie" thread has become a "bash the poster" thread for a few.

Well, OK, I guess it doesn't surprise me all that much.
A lot of what’s posted here is tongue in cheek. I’m beginning to doubt if either of those two have a funny bone.

Are you serious? People have the right to form opinions on what he said. And, his tweet was more a jab at Roy. He basically outright said Roy was purposely holding Jalek Felton back and making him fail.

Are you serious? People have the right to form opinions on what he said. And, his tweet was more a jab at Roy. He basically outright said Roy was purposely holding Jalek Felton back and making him fail.

Of course they have a right to an opinion. I thought baker was being a bit douchey. Why does that mean we have to throw a hissy fit over it? We just won a great game over a quality opponent.

He said something foolish and was called out for it. You really do need to get your humor meter fixed.

A lot of what’s posted here is tongue in cheek. I’m beginning to doubt if either of those two have a funny bone.

That’s rich that you’re accusing me of not having a funny bone lol

I don’t think it’s “really bothering” any of us - certainly not me. And I doubt Roy and the staff even know about it. But we’re Carolina fans and a duke recruit publicly called out our coach. It’s not only our god-given right to beat him up on our message board, it’s our duty.

It’s odd to me that you don’t understand the nature of our rivalry. Maybe "understand" is the wrong word. But you refuse to get on board with the rivalry mindset. Rivalry mindset allows for fans to exaggerate, embellish, or to act irrational at times with regard to the rival. I don't really want Grayson Allen to fail at life. But as a rival fan of duke and because of his douchey, whiney ways, it's perfectly understandable to say things such as "I hope when he gets to the league that someone decides to knock his teeth out when he tries that tripping garbage." That's what rival fans do. But you always come along and attempt to piss on the fire. Look, we get it. You are the model of how to act mature about a rivalry. But that doesn't mean you have to come in on every thread with that "c'mon guys, be rational about this" kind of talk. Can't you just let the ones of us that want to have some fun with it have some fun with it? I don't think you're a closet dukie as many here suggest. But you should at least be able to understand why some here call you and @pln2013 those things when y'all do what y'all do. Y'all don't miss a chance to give some lecture about looking at things in a reasonable way. Rivalries aren't "reasonable" all the time to all people. And besides, most of us here don't really believe a lot of what we write but it's what rivals do and it's fun. Why can't you leave that alone?

Believe me, there is no love in my heart for anything dook related. You should see me when I’m watching us play them, I want to beat the bastards to the point where I’m screaming at the TV.

That doesn’t mean I have to let it effect my rationality when posting on a message board. And pardon me if I really don’t give a crap about what some junior in high school thinks about Jalek and how Roy is using him. To hell with him.

When Joey boy is rotting away on Duke's bench in a couple off years he will regret he made the statement. I have logged his tweet away for future abuse. I will have a nickname for him once he arrives at Duke. His tweet of reminds me of the tweet Austin Rivers made about Cream not playing his brother at Indiana. After Rivers was ridiculed by hundreds of people, he then claimed that his twitter account was hacked. Rosh, one of the best Duke posters ever was over here defending Rivers and I laughed my ass off for days.

Believe me, I am nowhere near as bent over this as you are lol. This whole thing reeks like a pack pride thread.

I'm not bent at all, but I am slightly amused. I never commented on it until you chimed in. & one thing I've learned in all my years, when someone begins a rebuttal with "believe me", then you probably shouldn't. This would be your 2nd time beginning with that, making me think you need to convince us we're wrong to think what we do about you.

I'm not bent at all, but I am slightly amused. I never commented on it until you chimed in. & one thing I've learned in all my years, when someone begins a rebuttal with "believe me", then you probably shouldn't. This would be your 2nd time beginning with that, making me think you need to convince us we're wrong to think what we do about you.

Just stating how I feel about it.

Baker made a dumb commment. Probably a poor choice of words to support his buddy. But we all know Jalek is going to thrive under Roy. And baker certainly isn’t a hall of fame 3 time national champion coach.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Roy produces the best PG in the nation year after year!! He is the best at it and I agree with the others Baker better worry about what K will do with him at DOOK he could be a pine riding floor slapping cheerleader!!!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Baker is the worst person ever! I can't think of a better place for him to develop his evil nature than under the tutelage of the rat master! Together, they will form an axis of evil like the world has never known....believe me!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT