ADVERTISEMENT

Downfall of FSU Football

Good read. I seem to recall @NoleSoup4U discussing some of these same issues on here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again

Yeah, it went a lot deeper than any of us realized. Kids weren't going to class. They would straight up tell the coaches that they weren't going to go, and Willie was having none of that. The kids were entitled and would bitch about everything. They didn't want to put in the work. I guess it was a real s***-show last year and the play definitely reflected that. Supposedly there's none of that this year. Willie said that he "ran the s*** out of them" this spring and nobody complained about it.

After their dominance in the 80's and 90's makes me wish no good on them or any other team for that matter! May they all lose and lose badly...

I'm glad they are recognizing past mistakes and not making Taggert the scapegoat.

If nothing else, Taggart is good for the academic side of the program, and he's much better setting these kids up for success outside football. I'd like to see FSU win more games, obviously, but not everyone is going to make it to the NFL. You can't lose sight of the education side of the equation.

As for Clemson, if they ever have a run like FSU did, you all will hate them as much or worse. There's a reason why so many people hate Alabama and New England.

Reactions: franklin street
The thing that makes Clemson different is simple--Dabo. He is hard to dislike. Bowden was similar but he came into the ACC and took over. Never understood why people liked Jimbo--he was not one of favorites or even close.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
Yeah, it went a lot deeper than any of us realized. Kids weren't going to class. They would straight up tell the coaches that they weren't going to go, and Willie was having none of that. The kids were entitled and would bitch about everything. They didn't want to put in the work. I guess it was a real s***-show last year and the play definitely reflected that. Supposedly there's none of that this year. Willie said that he "ran the s*** out of them" this spring and nobody complained about it.

I knew Jimbo let Jameis Winston get away with a lot of stuff. But when I read this, the biggest surprise for me was the number of times he missed on picking QBs. He's supposed to be an offensive minded coach and yet he screwed up the most important position.

I knew Jimbo let Jameis Winston get away with a lot of stuff. But when I read this, the biggest surprise for me was the number of times he missed on picking QBs. He's supposed to be an offensive minded coach and yet he screwed up the most important position.
Bringing the Jimbo QB thing to UNC - Fortin was committed to Texas A&M under Sumlin. Jimbo did not want Fortin. That's how we landed him.

Lack of discipline will kill any program.

A lot of people don't realize that Jimbo was 26-1 with Jameis. He was 57-22 without him.

Edit: FSU also had two QBs, from the 2015 class, get dismissed for hitting women.

Reactions: DEW97
The thing that makes Clemson different is simple--Dabo. He is hard to dislike. Bowden was similar but he came into the ACC and took over. Never understood why people liked Jimbo--he was not one of favorites or even close.

Jimbo is not a likeable guy from what I've heard, although I've never personally met him.

I didn't read the article but it's clear to me on the field Jimbo lost the team. They were trending down badly. Especially on defense. You could tell even in 2016 they looked totally inept on defense and just quit in several games.

Jimbo is not a likeable guy from what I've heard, although I've never personally met him.
I'd heard that from his days at LSU. When that is true, your booster efforts will suffer even if you win, and over time it will impact your recruiting and your retention of quality assistants.

I'd heard that from his days at LSU. When that is true, your booster efforts will suffer even if you win, and over time it will impact your recruiting and your retention of quality assistants.

His recruiting, if you go by the online numbers, was pretty good during his time here. However, I don't think guys were being pushed and/or held accountable. Later classes just weren't getting developed as you can tell by fewer players getting drafted. There was just a lot of stuff that was wrong with the culture, but the academic issues really hurt them as well. FSU had the lowest APR (936 multi-year score) of any Power Five program, so Willie just couldn't afford to get rid of a lot of the bad eggs. I think the academic issues, along with the domestic abuse issues, have gone a long way in tarnishing FSU's recruiting this year, as they should. Parents don't want to send their kids to a place where they're going to fail academically and be around that crap, and I don't blame them.

Anyway, that's kind of a long rant, but that's just my feelings on the situation. You all have a happy 4th!

I didn't read the article but it's clear to me on the field Jimbo lost the team. They were trending down badly. Especially on defense. You could tell even in 2016 they looked totally inept on defense and just quit in several games.

When Pruitt left after FSU won their last MNC Charles Kelley took over. Pruitt was running Saban's Alabama defense, which is what Jimbo wanted, and it seems that Kelley couldn't pull that off. From what I've heard about Kelley, he's a great guy and a great recruiter. The kids evidently loved him. He just seemed to be in over his head.

His recruiting, if you go by the online numbers, was pretty good during his time here. However, I don't think guys were being pushed and/or held accountable. Later classes just weren't getting developed as you can tell by fewer players getting drafted. There was just a lot of stuff that was wrong with the culture, but the academic issues really hurt them as well. FSU had the lowest APR (936 multi-year score) of any Power Five program, so Willie just couldn't afford to get rid of a lot of the bad eggs. I think the academic issues, along with the domestic abuse issues, have gone a long way in tarnishing FSU's recruiting this year, as they should. Parents don't want to send their kids to a place where they're going to fail academically and be around that crap, and I don't blame them.

Anyway, that's kind of a long rant, but that's just my feelings on the situation. You all have a happy 4th!
I've said it here before: it sure seems obvious that Jimbo Fisher did a job on FSU, leaving a mess. But that does not mean FSU should follow the UNC pattern post-Mack of keeping coaches too long. It is not Taggert's fault that Jimbo left what he left, but if Taggert cannot right the ship by Year 3, he probably should be replaced.

I think the 3 Year Rule works. There are exceptions, but exceptions prove rules; exceptions do not make rules invalid. If after 3 years a coach has not shown that he can take the program back to - preferably beyond for UNC - its historic heights, then he most probably cannot.

FSU's historic standards are not 9-3 over and over.

I've said it here before: it sure seems obvious that Jimbo Fisher did a job on FSU, leaving a mess. But that does not mean FSU should follow the UNC pattern post-Mack of keeping coaches too long. It is not Taggert's fault that Jimbo left what he left, but if Taggert cannot right the ship by Year 3, he probably should be replaced.

I think the 3 Year Rule works. There are exceptions, but exceptions prove rules; exceptions do not make rules invalid. If after 3 years a coach has not shown that he can take the program back to - preferably beyond for UNC - its historic heights, then he most probably cannot.

FSU's historic standards are not 9-3 over and over.

I agree that eventually Willie needs to produce on the field or he's gone. College football is a business nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT