ADVERTISEMENT

Draft thoughts

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
1. France places 4 picks in the first round.
  • That's a nation where the majority of young boys grow up playing soccer.
  • A nation with a population of 68 or so million.... 1/5th that of the US
Either the NBA has got it wrong or the skill and talent development for teenagers in the US is in real trouble. (I think its a bit of both)

2. Dalton Knecht dropped to #17. On the telecast they quoted an NBA front office person as saying "everyone's picking 19yr olds" That bias may also come back to bite some backsides... Knecht can shoot it and the NBA loves shooters.

3. Flopakowski from Dook didn't get a look-in for the first round. This is where the NBA got it right.... GM's managed to block out the ESPN hype and actually watched the guy play. They quickly realised that he looked so good as a freshman because he played next to Derek Lively. On his own he just wasn't that good.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Filipowski and Johnny Furphy got invited to the green room, didn't get drafted in the first round, and apparently the second round is tomorrow. So they both just had to sit there through the whole telecast and then go back to their hotels.

• Wow
Reactions: Heelicious
Too bad for the Flipper. He should have left after his first year. Same with Proctor.

I think the narrative of Duke 'producing' these great NBA players is overblown. Seems like all their NBA players of any consequence were just one year rentals. No one who was there more than a year is really anything special in the NBA based on a list I just reviewed. Closest ones maybe Grayson Allen and Seth Curry (who didn't even begin college at Duke). Granted multi-year players at any school probably make up a lot less of the NBA than before.

I took away that the European system of developing players is by far the preferred method for the NBA development model, even for players here in the U.S. If you are ranked as talented in your youth, play up against competition, levels, full time, or you are seen as not being fully committed, taking the easier path. Not sure if it ever returns to the former way, but going to struggle against better/older levels, opposed to being player of the year against lesser mature opponents is what GM's seem to see as being serious about developing their craft.

Euro kids focus and play pro from age 14. Luka had a million dollar contract as Jr. High level. Sarr pro since 14, played in 3 different countries pro leagues around the world, and is still only 18. Full time work, pushing the limits against other pros, opposed to limited practice times and lesser competition. U.S. have went to that with national top athlete high schools, and more options to focus on your sport as a career path. You are penalized for being 22/23 and opting to play against the 18/19 year old other pro level talents, or non pro prospects.

Eddy was the only exception, that was a shocker by Memphis.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
1. France places 4 picks in the first round.
  • That's a nation where the majority of young boys grow up playing soccer.
  • A nation with a population of 68 or so million.... 1/5th that of the US
Either the NBA has got it wrong or the skill and talent development for teenagers in the US is in real trouble. (I think its a bit of both)

2. Dalton Knecht dropped to #17. On the telecast they quoted an NBA front office person as saying "everyone's picking 19yr olds" That bias may also come back to bite some backsides... Knecht can shoot it and the NBA loves shooters.

3. Flopakowski from Dook didn't get a look-in for the first round. This is where the NBA got it right.... GM's managed to block out the ESPN hype and actually watched the guy play. They quickly realised that he looked so good as a freshman because he played next to Derek Lively. On his own he just wasn't that good.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
I think US basketball has a flawed youth developmental system. AAU is centered more around playing a thousand games rather than having a thousand practices. Europe seems more about skill development. Almost all European players seem to have multiple skills at an at least average NBA level. They can all dribble it some, pass it some, shoot it some and the elite ones obviously can do a few of those at an elite level. There are very few European dudes who just rely on their freakish athleticism. I can think of Giannis and that's about it and he's a 6'11" dude with guard-handling skills. It's why there will be more 1st round busts and 2nd round steals in the future IMO.

I personally wasn't surprised Knecht dropped because of his age. I don't know if he's going to work out or not. He can't defend and I don't think he has the potential to develop as a defender. He needs to play with specific lineups for that work IMO. Maybe the Lakers have it with Anthony Davis to protect him. But he's 6'6" so he's going to have to defend NBA 2s and 3s. So he'll need to play against 3-and-D players to survive defensively. But understand the pick for the Lakers.

I don't really care if Filipowski wasn't drafted in the 1st round. I do think he'll be a rotational NBA player for a long time. Whether that warrants a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick... That's up to you. I also don't follow how he looked worse as a sophomore. His 3PT shooting went from 28% as a freshman to 34% as a sophomore. His FG percentage went from 44% as a freshman to 50% as a sophomore. He had a lower FT percentage and he rebounded at a lesser level, but I thought he had a pretty good sophomore season and showed he can be a stretch big guy in the NBA.

Reactions: Heelicious
I think US basketball has a flawed youth developmental system. AAU is centered more around playing a thousand games rather than having a thousand practices. Europe seems more about skill development. Almost all European players seem to have multiple skills at an at least average NBA level. They can all dribble it some, pass it some, shoot it some and the elite ones obviously can do a few of those at an elite level.
You depiction of Euro players is on point. However, one thing that needs to be remembered is (as I've heard it expressed more than once) young Euro players are mostly uninterested in academics, and are allowed to be disinterested as they are basically in a vocational system. They can play unabashed pro ball at young ages and yes, it is showing.

The AAU syetem has for years been geared towards attracting college schollies as a step maybe to the pros --- and now (sadly) those come with cash legally. So, while sure, academics is a pretense or a bother for some US kids, the alternative is a de facto hoops vocational program. Question then would be, where would that leave college basketball?...

That notwithstanding, I do agree that AAU could better serve by being more skill-oriented.

You depiction of Euro players is on point. However, one thing that needs to be remembered is (as I've heard it expressed more than once) young Euro players are mostly uninterested in academics, and are allowed to be disinterested as they are basically in a vocational system. They can play unabashed pro ball at young ages and yes, it is showing.

The AAU syetem has for years been geared towards attracting college schollies as a step maybe to the pros --- and now (sadly) those come with cash legally. So, while sure, academics is a pretense or a bother for some US kids, the alternative is a de facto hoops vocational program. Question then would be, where would that leave college basketball?...

That notwithstanding, I do agree that AAU could better serve by being more skill-oriented.
I believe the academics is a small part of it… the key is the fundamental skill development and corruption within the system.
Smaller countries are able to select talent very early and stream young players into development programs focussing on skills and fundamentals.
I know this happens in Australia and I can only guess it’s happening in countries like Serbia, Slovenia etc as well as in the larger European countries like France.
It’s also a reason why players from smaller countries are so eager to represent their national teams (except for Ben Simmons who is a joke)
For an outsider it seems the AAU system is just full of people looking for a payout or a ‘backhander’ and they have little to no vested interest in developing talent.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
I liked that somehow the Wolves moved up to Spurs 8 spot to get Dillingham from Kentucky. He could be a bit inconsistent but when in was likely the best pure shooter and scorer in college last year at least from a guard/wing spot

I can’t believe lakers did this - yet I can. Clearly LBJ runs that org - not Palenka. And now they have smug mostly unlikeable just a joint Red dick as a coach. Bush league profanity in his intro presser. What a clown org right now. I hope they lose 65+ games next year
It’s a bad look for the NBA…Not just the Lakers…The whole thing makes the NBA look bad…He was listed at 6’4 but he is really 6’1…Unreal that he has took a kids spot that is better than him…Talk about Privilege….

I believe the academics is a small part of it… the key is the fundamental skill development and corruption within the system.
Smaller countries are able to select talent very early and stream young players into development programs focussing on skills and fundamentals.
I know this happens in Australia and I can only guess it’s happening in countries like Serbia, Slovenia etc as well as in the larger European countries like France.
It’s also a reason why players from smaller countries are so eager to represent their national teams (except for Ben Simmons who is a joke)
For an outsider it seems the AAU system is just full of people looking for a payout or a ‘backhander’ and they have little to no vested interest in developing talent.
They follow the soccer youth professional model in Europe. If you are highly ranked, they contract you out as early as 11-12 years old. You are in training to be a professional athlete, under that teams control. Luka had a million dollar contract in 8th grade. Real Madrid or whoever have youth professional teams under their top players at various levels and pay. It is definitely THE focus, and they are paid well for signing, and developed.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Again, good points. However, my personal concern is college hoops and I can't see how the Euro system would be compatible to maintaining or helping what we have.

Like you, I would like to see the AAU environment overhauled with more development. Baseball has some interesting models such as the Cape Cod League that could bear emulating.

I don't really care what country you are from if you play good ball! I want to see good ballers at UNC, and I want to watch good ball in the pros. I care little about where these ballers come from. I propose we allow peeps to take part in these Euro development leagues as well. (assuming we don't create our version) I would consider letting my son go overseas to play pro ball if they gave me enough confidence they would take care of him as a person too. I might do it if I or another family member could join him to help him manage all the business side and protect his moral development!

It’s a bad look for the NBA…Not just the Lakers…The whole thing makes the NBA look bad…He was listed at 6’4 but he is really 6’1…Unreal that he has took a kids spot that is better than him…Talk about Privilege….
Nepotism arrives in an NBA roster. It's similar to virtually every other industry in America and every other part of the NBA. It's there in college basketball too.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Caudeau and Ian are both mocked as draft first round guys for next year. With the emphasis on youth to develop throughout the NBA organizations, it may be fairly important that thier stocks do not fall. Unless the plan is to steer away from the 5 stars coming out each year, which I doubt. I'm hoping they both flourish this year, and at least have the legit option to be a 1st rounder. Get 'em young fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT