ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Maye's Successor?

ACokeForRoy

Senior
Nov 12, 2014
Sandy Springs, Ga
Family I'm not sure if this has been discussed much. I know the focus is on this year and how far Drake and Co. can take us. However, I'm in a "after the morning after".. mindset. After the last game of the season and most start looking toward next season who will compete for QB1? We have used Drake's presence for two years in recruiting. We will not have that luxury after this season. Who do we have on the roster as far a QB that will allow us to maintain momentum from this season? Wondering if Mack will hit the portal for a ready now QB or roll the dice and continue to develop a QB already on the roster. The backup got minutes against Syracuse and didn't look good at all.

Last edited:
Family I'm not sure if this has been discussed much. I know the focus is on this year and how far Drake and Co. can take us. However, I'm in a "after the morning after".. mindset. After the last game of the season and most start looking toward next season who will compete for QB1? We have used Drakes presence for two years in recruiting. We will not have that luxury after this season. Who do we have on the roster as far a QB that will allow us to maintain momentum from this season? Wondering if Mack will hit the portal for a ready now QB or roll the dice and continue to develop a QB already on the roster. The backup got minutes against Syracuse and didn't look good at all.
I would think UNC would hit the portal HARD as I don't think there is a QB on our roster that will be able to step in next year?

I would think UNC would hit the portal HARD as I don't think there is a QB on our roster that will be able to step in next year?
Perhaps, but we really don't know because we haven't seen Harrell except for a few minutes in mop-up with second stringers. (And the portal is no guarantee - ask NC State.)

harrell should’ve been in earlier last week tbh…i don’t get it, screw the heisman.
i agree 100%. drake should be taken out the minute the outcome is decided. example a few yrs ago: leaving tua in for stats cost nick saban a national title. it's dumb. fast powerful defenders are out to get the QB on every play.

i agree 100%. drake should be taken out the minute the outcome is decided. example a few yrs ago: leaving tua in for stats cost nick saban a national title. it's dumb. fast powerful defenders are out to get the QB on every play.
i’d say a four touchdown lead at the end of the 3rd qtr with the defense playing the best it had all year is definitely reason enough to get maye, gaynor(best and most important o-lineman to this point), and starting wr’s out…their nose tackle was trying bait gaynor into a something when he ripped his helmet off.

I know he was playing behind the backup OL, but the O looked bad under Harrell in his two series. Doc Chapman dropped a catch-able ball, and that was probably the best thing that happened the entire time Harrell was in there.

There were bad exchanges, it kinda looked like he fumbled the ball....

I know he was playing behind the backup OL, but the O looked bad under Harrell in his two series. Doc Chapman dropped a catch-able ball, and that was probably the best thing that happened the entire time Harrell was in there.

There were bad exchanges, it kinda looked like he fumbled the ball....
Play calling didn't do him any favors.

Play calling didn't do him any favors.
100% I understand the coaches need to see a guy run their "regular" offense, part of that is reading when to keep it, when NOT to throw, etc, but you'd think they'd just do a few things to make sure he's comfortable regardless of trying to move chains.

Until it is impossible, I'm going to hope that Maye wants to be on campus 4 years, to graduate with those he entered school with. Assuming he does not win the Heisman nor the ACC, also getting another shot at those.

Other than that, I assume that we will be hitting the portal for any proven QB who seems like a fit. WE may have 2 on campus now who might have what it takes, but proven ability as a starter means a good deal.

Plenty of guys played last Saturday…Also when up 40-7 run the ball and the clock…QB room is fine….

i think the heisman will be settled when washington plays usc in a month…mack’s focus should be to keep drake upright because he’s the only chance carolina has to win the acc.

Reactions: bluetoe
i think the heisman will be settled when washington plays usc in a month…mack’s focus should be to keep drake upright because he’s the only chance carolina has to win the acc.
All we need is for him to get an invite to NY, which he will get if we keep winning.

Looks to me like we need to portal in a QB AND a back up QB... Harrell looks to me like he needs to do what Surrat did, find a position he can play cause QB is not his spot.

And lets see, Sam and now Drake, seems to me there will be a lot of quality QBs eager to look at UNC from the portal.

Looks to me like we need to portal in a QB AND a back up QB... Harrell looks to me like he needs to do what Surrat did, find a position he can play cause QB is not his spot.

And lets see, Sam and now Drake, seems to me there will be a lot of quality QBs eager to look at UNC from the portal.
agree…this is the way.

the only thing that keeps maye out of the top five is injury and the staff should know this so they scout accordingly, at least it’s worked out that way…maybe they know.

Drake is exceptional in so many ways. I think he returns next year and I am sticking with that unless I hear differently.

IMO that MIGHT happen only if he feels next year's team would be as good as or better than this year's and he wasn't too concerned about a career-ending injury.

Drake is a top 5 pick in the next draft, depending on who gets the select he could be #1 over all, no way he comes back for another season with us, can we please have a reality check? Bottom line and we may as well embrace it now, we have a QB problem after this season that has to be fixed by the portal. Harrell is not ready to be a ACC starting QB and Hudson is even further away. With the success we had with Sam and now Drake we should look great to a quality QB that is looking to improve his shot at the NFL.

-Harrell didn't look good, agreed
-Harrell not looking good says little, considering the circumstances. Could be the expected stage fright. Could be playing the subs in front of him. Who knows?
Let the man get some minutes so he can get over that, and we can see how good he really is. I don't understand risking injury to the one thing that's keeping us in the win column when there's another very solid reason to not do that...give the backup some playing time and get him used to taking snaps in the spotlight. Snagging something from the portal is not guaranteed.

Who said recently that we were going to miss him when he's gone? That's right, I did. I started thinking about that before the season started and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. It actually puzzles me that the gap hasn't been filled.

ETA check this out regarding Harrell...

Last edited:
I'm sure the coaching staff is not oblivious to all this. Maybe they are looking at some things that aren't being talked about at this point. And, as has been said, the portal can be iffy at best, although it can change rapidly, so who knows what might be available when.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT