ADVERTISEMENT

Elliot Cadeau's Season

Get some sleep man… lol

I have found getting work done after everyone goes to sleep, when it's peave and quiet, has worked well the last couple of weeks. I plan on doing it until I have a ton of offseason work done and on the shelf. In order to truly scale back, each year I get a ton of pieces done that aren't time sensitive, it's what mkaes April such a grind. The purpose is to be a normal person from late April through late July. :)

I have found getting work done after everyone goes to sleep, when it's peave and quiet, has worked well the last couple of weeks. I plan on doing it until I have a ton of offseason work done and on the shelf. In order to truly scale back, each year I get a ton of pieces done that aren't time sensitive, it's what mkaes April such a grind. The purpose is to be a normal person from late April through late July. :)

I’m a bit of an insomniac myself so I can relate to that. At least you’re getting work done instead of just reading through message boards like I am… 😅😆

I'd like to see a daily drop on how EC felt bout his use in his first year as there are many on the UNC bball board that were very critical or questionable of his use and if RJ comes back again how that might change his thought process as far as the portal going forward,

Reactions: thompsjj
I'd like to see a daily drop on how EC felt bout his use in his first year as there are many on the UNC bball board that were very critical or questionable of his use and if RJ comes back again how that might change his thought process as far as the portal going forward,
I'd like to see you man up and admit you were 100% wrong to claim Hubert recruits over 5 stars and burger boys.

I can't speak for Elliot without fully knowing. He was surprised he was on the bench for so long in the Bama game.

But I know he also recognized the patience needed this past season.

We plan on doing drops on each player. The written pieces come out first, and then a bit later is the drop.

I can't speak for Elliot without fully knowing. He was surprised he was on the bench for so long in the Bama game.

But I know he also recognized the patience needed this past season.

We plan on doing drops on each player. The written pieces come out first, and then a bit later is the drop.
Andrew, I'm gonna go ahead and lay this out there: No matter what additions come in or who else comes back (or doesn't) --- and that includes RJ --- next season's ultimate success will depend on Hubert's willingness to give EC the keys, and doing so with TOTAL confidence.

Andrew, I'm gonna go ahead and lay this out there: No matter what additions come in or who else comes back (or doesn't) --- and that includes RJ --- next season's ultimate success will depend on Hubert's willingness to give EC the keys, and doing so with TOTAL confidence.
Eh....RJ Davis is currently the favorite to be the POY next year according to Vegas so I'd put his return quite a bit higher than "will HD let EC have carte blanche" in terms of our success as a team next year.

Elliot's going to be awesome next year - I don't think there's much HD can/will do to hinder that.

Our ceiling (and floor) next year depend on RJ and Ingram returning and how successful we are at filling the 5 spot, portal or otherwise. EC is a known commodity, which is a huge compliment to him.

Agree, but EC has to be ready for the role. He wasn't this season. But I also think Hubert pulling back on his late in the year may have slowed that needed progress. But you are right, EC being the player that was anticipated would be a huge development, and a needed one for the team.

Eh....RJ Davis is currently the favorite to be the POY next year according to Vegas so I'd put his return quite a bit higher than "will HD let EC have carte blanche" in terms of our success as a team next year.

Elliot's going to be awesome next year - I don't think there's much HD can/will do to hinder that.

Our ceiling (and floor) next year depend on RJ and Ingram returning and how successful we are at filling the 5 spot, portal or otherwise. EC is a known commodity, which is a huge compliment to him.

I think his point, at least how I took it, is EC having full freedom and trust means everything else will fall into place even more than this past season. EC being that guy with RJ being RJ and Ingram a tad better would make for a pretty amazing trio.

I stand by what I said, because for everyone else to be at their most effective --- including RJ --- that depends on our PG running the show with the HC's full confidence and being trusted to be the floor general. The less time RJ has to spend at the 1, the more effective he (and we) will be.

Look, I don't disagree with anything you pointed out, and in fact, what I am saying is I hope you are right about there being nothing Hubert will do to hinder EC --- because we've already seen that he can.

We've all been witness to how important this is. Once Roy fully turned over the keys to Butter and JB (albeit a tad belatedly in both cases), that's when their respective teams started realizing their potentials. It is time for Hubert to make that vote of confidence.

But I also think Hubert pulling back on his late in the year may have slowed that needed progress.
Yes it did... and I'll go one further, that not starting him from game-1 also put a glitch in that progress.

Another similarity to the JB thing, it would seem, and like that one, the time is now for Hubert to fully trust his PG --- and I fully trust that EC will respond.

I stand by what I said, because for everyone else to be at their most effective --- including RJ --- that depends on our PG running the show with the HC's full confidence and being trusted to be the floor general. The less time RJ has to spend at the 1, the more effective he (and we) will be.

Look, I don't disagree with anything you pointed out, and in fact, what I am saying is I hope you are right about there being nothing Hubert will do to hinder EC --- because we've already seen that he can.

We've all been witness to how important this is. Once Roy fully turned over the keys to Butter and JB (albeit a tad belatedly in both cases), that's when their respective teams started realizing their potentials. It is time for Hubert to make that vote of confidence.
I think Seth transferring is a hint into HD doing just that. I'd imagine HD couldn't even promise him the minutes he had last season if RJ came back because you have to factor in EC getting a bump up to the 30mpg mark as a sophomore.

Yeah, we're essentially saying the same thing. I just have little doubt that HD is going to put any type of limitation in the acceleration of EC as the engine of this offense in year 2.

If we get RJ and Ingram back and add a top big man from portal, I like our chances at a Final Four appearance and maybe cut down the nets. Its basically the same team from this year minus Bacot and adding Powell, Jackson, Brown, and whatever big from portal. Much better team.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I think Seth transferring is a hint into HD doing just that. I'd imagine HD couldn't even promise him the minutes he had last season if RJ came back because you have to factor in EC getting a bump up to the 30mpg mark as a sophomore.

Yeah, we're essentially saying the same thing. I just have little doubt that HD is going to put any type of limitation in the acceleration of EC as the engine of this offense in year 2.
While agree with you on this post I’ll also add that EC 100% would have played a lot more if he could have shot the ball at all from outside. It was glaring. Call it confidence, couldn’t shoot, or trust issues, but only time will tell. No excuses whatsoever for the upcoming year on his part.

Yes it did... and I'll go one further, that not starting him from game-1 also put a glitch in that progress.

Another similarity to the JB thing, it would seem, and like that one, the time is now for Hubert to fully trust his PG --- and I fully trust that EC will respond.
I'd love to think RJ would help make EC's role clear sort of in the same way Bacot did for him this year. It was painful to see a big pull down a board and then debate who the PG was he should pass to in transition when both EC and RJ were on the court. I'm not sure who the other backup PG option might be with Seth gone but I'd even like to see that be someone other than RJ.

He had a good year..He improved on defense thru the year and getting in foul trouble…

Just shoot like 1000 3 pointers a day please..

I imagine there are a couple of incoming frosh Wings who will be quite good at that, as can JWash, Withers and High.
How many lobs did you see Jwash, Withers, and High complete this year?

I remember one lob dunk for Withers, zero combined for the other guys.

Watching Aidoo highlights, he might be the guy.

Come on, man. Withers is more athletic than Aidoo.

In general, the staff needs to encourage more and incorporate them in our half-court offense and OB plays.

Come on, man. Withers is more athletic than Aidoo.

In general, the staff needs to encourage more and incorporate them in our half-court offense and OB plays.
More athletic, sure. But does he have the hands and skill to make it happen? Can he stop the boneheaded plays so that he can play more minutes? Like I said, I only remember 1 alley oop he completed all year. Which is the same number Okonkwo completed.

I'm watching Aidoo highlights and transfer portal breakdowns. He was good at finishing alley oops, and dude loves to dunk. I guess when you're 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan, alley oops are just easier to finish.

I can’t see what the article says (long story) but my take:

EC is the sort of point guard who may not always have the numbers, but the teams offense always looks better when he’s on the court.

He makes the pass that leads to assists, he always pushes tempo and he makes good decisions (on offense)

Some of his woes this season were maturity and frustration and I believe these will iron themselves out… especially if he has a productive summer playing with (hopefully) guys like Felton and Berry.

But for the offense to hum, and for RJ to shine if he comes back, the ball has to be in Elliot’s hands at the beginning of every possession when he’s on the floor…. Something that did not happen enough last season.

Also EC should play at least 12 min straight to start every game, not this crazy sub out at the under 16.

As for lobs… get Ian Jackson or drake powell in the open court and I reckon it’ll happen.

If EC can get the outside shot going the lob dunks will be their..They will have to guard him and I don’t think it’s a guard in the country that can stay in front of him…

So then that big man will have to make a choice Stay with his man or pick EC up…

Reactions: gary-7
More athletic, sure. But does he have the hands and skill to make it happen? Can he stop the boneheaded plays so that he can play more minutes? Like I said, I only remember 1 alley oop he completed all year. Which is the same number Okonkwo completed.

I'm watching Aidoo highlights and transfer portal breakdowns. He was good at finishing alley oops, and dude loves to dunk. I guess when you're 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan, alley oops are just easier to finish.
Come on, man. Let's not start with this roster-bashing nonsense again. I've seen plenty of Aidoo and he is physically strong but no one ever accused him of being a dominant Big.

Simple fact: If we want to see more alley-oops, then it needs to be a part of our offense.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The most important thing for Elliot Cadeau is getting better for next year. I've never seen so many defensive arguments for a player as flawed (currently) as Cadeau is.

He was barely on the opposition's scouting report and when he was, the scouting report was literally "do not guard Elliot Cadeau" and people are blaming Hubert, lol.

He was and still is a victim of people's pre-conceived expectations for him. Whether you think he's a generational player or not is irrelevant because he currently isn't. He's a young, developing point guard and that's fine.

One of the more laughable things that was said about him was that Elliot Cadeau never makes the same mistake twice. That would make him certainly the first human athlete ever to do so and arguably would make him the first human being ever to do so, lol.

He had a solid freshman year. He's got a ton of things he can build off of. He has a lot to improve upon. And I'm excited for his future.... Damn, sounds like a lot of talented freshmen going into their sophomore seasons!

The most important thing for Elliot Cadeau is getting better for next year. I've never seen so many defensive arguments for a player as flawed (currently) as Cadeau is.

He was barely on the opposition's scouting report and when he was, the scouting report was literally "do not guard Elliot Cadeau" and people are blaming Hubert, lol.

He was and still is a victim of people's pre-conceived expectations for him. Whether you think he's a generational player or not is irrelevant because he currently isn't. He's a young, developing point guard and that's fine.

One of the more laughable things that was said about him was that Elliot Cadeau never makes the same mistake twice. That would make him certainly the first human athlete ever to do so and arguably would make him the first human being ever to do so, lol.

He had a solid freshman year. He's got a ton of things he can build off of. He has a lot to improve upon. And I'm excited for his future.... Damn, sounds like a lot of talented freshmen going into their sophomore seasons!
Some good points and if he can somehow just get to the low 30s from deep it will open up a lot for himself and others. Bar was definitely set too high for sure. I think he’ll make a significant jump in shooting. Fingers crossed anyway.

Some good points and if he can somehow just get to the low 30s from deep it will open up a lot for himself and others. Bar was definitely set too high for sure. I think he’ll make a significant jump in shooting. Fingers crossed anyway.
I'm pretty sure he isn't as bad as a 3PT shooter as his numbers indicated this season. I think he got caught not shooting as well in a small sample size. If Cadeau shot 100 3s on the season, I highly doubt he would've shot 19%. I think we're looking at a 25%'ish shooter right now. I'm saying this because if he happens to shoot 25% next year, the Cadeau-stans will scream about the improvement, lol.

It's similar to Seth but in the opposite way. Seth probably isn't a 40%+ 3PT shooter on 100 3s. I would actually bet that Seth and Cadeau are very similar 3PT shooters if they took enough to fairly grade them.

For me, it's more important Cadeau develops his intermediate game more anyway. Whether he shoots 25%, 30% or 35% from 3, I think he will always be a downhill PG first. If that's the case, he'll have to have a plus floater and layup game because his size won't let him finish easily.

Mmmm Some of these replies are priceless LOL

Let me see now, we have a PG that struggles to jump shoot and a center than never leaves the paint, a center that is constantly double teamed by the way. Can't drive because the lane is clogged with Bacot's defender as well as the help defender drawn to Bacot and Bacot himself? And all we can do to counter that is have Cadeau take treys he doesn't believe he can make? And the solution is to take your PG out? LOL

Cadeau was not handed the keys last season, those keys belonged to RJ, if RJ comes back those keys will still belong to RJ and I don't think that is in the best interest of this team. Did Cadeau play as well s fans expected him to, no he didn't, easy answer. Did Cadeau play as we SHOULD have expected, a reclassed freshman, I think the answer is yes he did. Duke learned it with Proctor, we learned it with Cadeau, you don't often get what you think with a reclassed kid, I think especially in a PG that does not have a real size advantage.

Lot of folks will disagree with this but I believe the best thing for this team would be for Hubert to call Cadeau in to his office today and tell him, son, here is the keys, this is YOUR Team now, you are my PG and that makes you the head of the snake. Then call RJ in and tell him straight, son I know you have decisions to make and I support you in any decision you will make. But you need to know, Elliot is our starting PG and you if you come back you will be our starting 2 guard, I want your focus to be on looking for your offense and defending your position but at UNC our attack flows thru our PG, Elliot sets the table and you clean it up with your scoring. I think if you do this RJ that you could be NPOY next season by playing your role to perfection.

Reactions: RP12
Mmmm Some of these replies are priceless LOL

Let me see now, we have a PG that struggles to jump shoot and a center than never leaves the paint, a center that is constantly double teamed by the way. Can't drive because the lane is clogged with Bacot's defender as well as the help defender drawn to Bacot and Bacot himself? And all we can do to counter that is have Cadeau take treys he doesn't believe he can make? And the solution is to take your PG out? LOL

Cadeau was not handed the keys last season, those keys belonged to RJ, if RJ comes back those keys will still belong to RJ and I don't think that is in the best interest of this team. Did Cadeau play as well s fans expected him to, no he didn't, easy answer. Did Cadeau play as we SHOULD have expected, a reclassed freshman, I think the answer is yes he did. Duke learned it with Proctor, we learned it with Cadeau, you don't often get what you think with a reclassed kid, I think especially in a PG that does not have a real size advantage.

Lot of folks will disagree with this but I believe the best thing for this team would be for Hubert to call Cadeau in to his office today and tell him, son, here is the keys, this is YOUR Team now, you are my PG and that makes you the head of the snake. Then call RJ in and tell him straight, son I know you have decisions to make and I support you in any decision you will make. But you need to know, Elliot is our starting PG and you if you come back you will be our starting 2 guard, I want your focus to be on looking for your offense and defending your position but at UNC our attack flows thru our PG, Elliot sets the table and you clean it up with your scoring. I think if you do this RJ that you could be NPOY next season by playing your role to perfection.
This may just be semantics but you can be the pg and not have the keys. EC was the starting pg last year.

I'm pretty sure he isn't as bad as a 3PT shooter as his numbers indicated this season. I think he got caught not shooting as well in a small sample size. If Cadeau shot 100 3s on the season, I highly doubt he would've shot 19%. I think we're looking at a 25%'ish shooter right now. I'm saying this because if he happens to shoot 25% next year, the Cadeau-stans will scream about the improvement, lol.

It's similar to Seth but in the opposite way. Seth probably isn't a 40%+ 3PT shooter on 100 3s. I would actually bet that Seth and Cadeau are very similar 3PT shooters if they took enough to fairly grade them.

For me, it's more important Cadeau develops his intermediate game more anyway. Whether he shoots 25%, 30% or 35% from 3, I think he will always be a downhill PG first. If that's the case, he'll have to have a plus floater and layup game because his size won't let him finish easily.
He shot that bad last year. You hear all the time about kids in practice or confidence but until they put their big boy panties on and do it when it matters and consistently, then it doesn’t matter. I do say time will tell. And if he does get to low 30s who cares if it’s improvement or there all along? Like you said, I’m sure we’ll hear he’s always been there or his confidence is back. To me idc either way, just as long as he’s not a liability on offensive sets. Half court is where the rubber meets the road imo. A lot of folks can open up the court and run from time to time but when it gets to nut cuttin time you’d better have a good half court offense.

And btw I agree on all his shooting , not just from deep.

I don’t think Hubert emphasizes the back screen game nearly as much as Roy did though. Can’t just throw lobs into traffic if guys aren’t getting separation around the rim.

This is a way better take than your last one... and I'll leave it at that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT