ADVERTISEMENT

Extremely quick stuff (UVA ganme)...

Sounds right, although I suspect a healthy Nance could bang inside more if he had to.

I just looked at Hubert's offers for 2023 and 2024. He isn't offering Bacot types.

Zayden High was the biggest big we offered in 2023. He's 6'9 225. Ranked #45 (lower than Armando).

Similarly, James Brown is the biggest guy we have offered in 2024, and he's 6'9 210. Ranked #27 (same as Armando).

Bacot and Nance are both 6'11 and weigh in at 235 and 230, respectively. At those weights for their heights, neither is a true bruiser, although Armando gives a pretty good imitation.

When we offered Armando, we also had offers to a couple of guys bigger than he was, so we were clearly looking for big bigs. It no longer seems that way.

I've mentioned this before: we're heading smaller. Wilcher is the same size as Caleb. Powell is 4 inches shorter than Leaky. We already have some smaller guys like Styles who are perhaps not getting PT because of their size. Sure, sure, maybe Styles isn't playing well enough, but if he werr 6'9 I bet he would have played a lot yesterday.

I'm not saying going smaller is necessarily bad. It just is what it is. BUT . . . if we are heading that way, we might expect Hubert to be better prepared to go smaller when our bigs are out of service. I mean if he is building smaller teams for the future, he needs to be able to coach smaller teams to wins.

That's not entirely fair, of course. Hubert didn't just lose big guys, he lost talented guys. So we were never going to be as good after Armando went down. But still.
Actually, I believe Brown is now closer to 225lbs, he looks more filled out now than he did a few months ago, he could be pushing 235lbs by the time he gets to UNC (1.5 seasons from now, class of 24). So I do think he can come in with some bulk to throw around. High, yeah, I see him able to carry a good bit more weight on his frame as well, I see his play weight also in that 235-240 range.

Powell, I believe he is a solid 6'6" with good reach, Leaky is between 6'7-8" with as well good reach. Powell is more on that Theo type of frame, in any event I do not think Powell is today 4" shorter than leaky.

I do agree, we may have to look at a more physical big man in the portal, frankly to me that is a MUCH stronger need area than another wing or guard, a need area that I am not sold on Stevenson being able to fill. Said before, of the 24 kids we now have committed, Brown is the one that I am more excited about simply because he hits straight to our greatest area of need, someone to replace Bacot and it would not shock me to see him play all 4yrs for us, I think he starts no later than his soph season.

Reactions: dlew71 and TPFKAPFS
I think it depends on what your expectations for this team are. I would bet most fringe top 25 teams play much pretty well at home, but play pretty poorly on the road. It isn't a huge surprise to me how poorly we've played on the road.

I guess if you want to compare to Roy's teams. Roy's teams were built more for scoring in the paint and offensive rebounding. Those are two things that probably travel better at this level. Last year's team and this year's team has to make shots to win games. That's something that probably decreases in efficiency on the road.

How much of a factor all of this is in March? I don't know. You don't play true road games in March so maybe all of this means nothing. It meant nothing last year. Although, I think winning at Duke was big for the team's confidence.
Other than the fact we have not been blown out, the loos rates looks eerily similar to last season and last season we played in the final game of the season, I do not consider us a "fringe" team at all, I think we are better than we were last season, I think we have more upside.

What was it that got that 4 game win streak before Christmas, it was a return to pounding the ball inside. What was it last night we could not do as well, pound the ball inside. When Bacot and Nance come back, along with continued progress from Jalen, what should we do? Hell, I don't know, maybe pound the ball inside?

Sounds right, although I suspect a healthy Nance could bang inside more if he had to.

I just looked at Hubert's offers for 2023 and 2024. He isn't offering Bacot types.

Zayden High was the biggest big we offered in 2023. He's 6'9 225. Ranked #45 (lower than Armando).

Similarly, James Brown is the biggest guy we have offered in 2024, and he's 6'9 210. Ranked #27 (same as Armando).

Bacot and Nance are both 6'11 and weigh in at 235 and 230, respectively. At those weights for their heights, neither is a true bruiser, although Armando gives a pretty good imitation.

When we offered Armando, we also had offers to a couple of guys bigger than he was, so we were clearly looking for big bigs. It no longer seems that way.

I've mentioned this before: we're heading smaller. Wilcher is the same size as Caleb. Powell is 4 inches shorter than Leaky. We already have some smaller guys like Styles who are perhaps not getting PT because of their size. Sure, sure, maybe Styles isn't playing well enough, but if he werr 6'9 I bet he would have played a lot yesterday.

I'm not saying going smaller is necessarily bad. It just is what it is. BUT . . . if we are heading that way, we might expect Hubert to be better prepared to go smaller when our bigs are out of service. I mean if he is building smaller teams for the future, he needs to be able to coach smaller teams to wins.

That's not entirely fair, of course. Hubert didn't just lose big guys, he lost talented guys. So we were never going to be as good after Armando went down. But still.
This is why I think that Armando is coming back for his fifth year. His NIL is through the roof and we haven’t recruited a true low post player minus Brown and he won’t be here until 24. But you never know. McKoy should for one not be on the floor but for him to throw the ball inbounds is crazy. Did Hubert not learn anything when he had McKoy do that against Baylor in the tournament? Plus putting RJ in and he picked up his third foul before halftime. I realize it was a bad call but that’s on the coaching staff once again. Big momentum swing right there. RJ missed his first free throw and that could have put us up 7 at the 15 minute mark. Hubert has to reign in Caleb he cannot be a ghost for 30 plus minutes a game. He has to be more consistent as we all know but Hubert does him or the team no favors by letting him throw up crazy shots without sitting him down. I have said this since game three of this year in that Hubert keeps threatening to sit players only to see the same veteran players make the same mistakes and still play 38 minutes a game. He is not doing them, the bench or the team any favors in not coaching them hard. We have junior former McDonald’s AA’s starting in our back court and they are not getting better. Caleb did have a great first half in setting players up to score but until he went to the free throw line, which always helps a shooter get into a rhythm, he was horrendous from the field. Hubert’s play calling and game management has got to improve. Plus do you see how Virginia broke our press compared to the way we try and break opposing teams press’s and traps? Keep your head up, survey the WHOLE court and break it with the PASS and put pressure on their press by trying to score. I was shocked at the weave as well on offense and it was very frustrating to say the least. Shot clock violations and lazy perimeter passes only to have them steal it for break away fast break points in a limited possession game hurt tremendously. And no I’m not happy with almost winning with Bacot and Nance out because if we had kept our composure and lineups were different as we’ve mentioned and play calling then we should have won. I have also never seen an inbounds play where everyone runs away from the entry pass. No one is setting screens and rubbing off of them and coming to the ball.

Other than the fact we have not been blown out, the loos rates looks eerily similar to last season and last season we played in the final game of the season, I do not consider us a "fringe" team at all, I think we are better than we were last season, I think we have more upside.

What was it that got that 4 game win streak before Christmas, it was a return to pounding the ball inside. What was it last night we could not do as well, pound the ball inside. When Bacot and Nance come back, along with continued progress from Jalen, what should we do? Hell, I don't know, maybe pound the ball inside?
You and I view the team differently then. I think we're considerably worse than last year because Nance offers you less than Manek. They may not be all that different in terms of quality of player, but we're not replacing that loss with freshmen or hoping that Puff or Styles becomes something that they're probably not right now.

But like last year's team. We play our best ball in March and a couple of things go our way, can we make a deep run again? Absolutely. But that's the same for like 20 teams in the country. We're a fringe top 25 team by most metrics, and more importantly, we're a fringe top 25 team because that's the way we've played this year.

I don't think this team is anywhere near as good as last year's was in March, and I don't think they're going to get a whole lot better the rest of the way. I don't expect a big surge/improvement in the next 2 months or so. The longer Bacot is out, the more likely the team gets one L after another. And, I don't expect them to win Saturday, either.

I keep thinking how embarrassing that '82 Sports Illustrated mock-up was when it came out and how it's going to look even worse when the season ends.

If the shot clock is getting low, and you have a clean look against a very stingy/borderline dirty D, if 2 starters are not there and one of your others is in foul trouble, and another isn't playing well, AND you are shooting one of the highest % on the team.......I would scream at you if you didn't take the shot!

The O we all wanted us to play happens to depend on a Big that can demand attention! If there is a whole in the middle and there are 0 Bigs that can demand attention, what would you do?

No matter how calm and collected Hubs looks/sounds, UNC is a huge job and he is drinking out of a firehose! I would think we could give a 1st time head coach a breath or two to grow into the role before we condemn him! I remember a certain rat that was almost run out of town and a Saint named DES that was hung in effigy during their first few years, but maybe it is different now and we won't look as silly as they did! BUT Hubs is already showing flexibility, recruiting chops, the ability to inspire loyalty, passion, and to motivate peeps,integrity, and passion for UNC. I think we can build on this in the fullness of time! If we are still having these conversations after 5 years, I'll join the chorus, but until then, I'll continue to be unwavering in my support for our players and coaches! I'll also bet we go on a run and use this last game, especially the fight we showed, as the fuel for it!

Bacot and Nance need to get healthy, but I really loved what I saw from Washington!

Reactions: Heels5150
You and I view the team differently then. I think we're considerably worse than last year because Nance offers you less than Manek. They may not be all that different in terms of quality of player, but we're not replacing that loss with freshmen or hoping that Puff or Styles becomes something that they're probably not right now.

But like last year's team. We play our best ball in March and a couple of things go our way, can we make a deep run again? Absolutely. But that's the same for like 20 teams in the country. We're a fringe top 25 team by most metrics, and more importantly, we're a fringe top 25 team because that's the way we've played this year.
I disagree, I think we are much better than last year at the same time. R.J. is becoming more efficient each week and Bacot before last nights injury was playing his best basketball. Yes Caleb is in a funk, but at this time last year we were a 5 man team. I see signs of bench roles taking shape, (although I want more) and hopefully Nance and Bacot get healthy by Sat. Next 5 games need to be wins leading into game with Dook at HIS.
I think expectations this year are what is making you cynical when comparing teams from this Jan to last Jan.
You can't compare our present team to the March team now. If March comes around and we look inferior to last year, I will admit it then.

I disagree, I think we are much better than last year at the same time. R.J. is becoming more efficient each week and Bacot before last nights injury was playing his best basketball. Yes Caleb is in a funk, but at this time last year we were a 5 man team. I see signs of bench roles taking shape, (although I want more) and hopefully Nance and Bacot get healthy by Sat. Next 5 games need to be wins leading into game with Dook at HIS.
I think expectations this year are what is making you cynical when comparing teams from this Jan to last Jan.
You can't compare our present team to the March team now. If March comes around and we look inferior to last year, I will admit it then.
Fair post for sure. I hate that it seems they are having to relearn things but we can be a formidable opponent for sure. Last year it was very much in question if we could play with a team or not.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I keep thinking how embarrassing that '82 Sports Illustrated mock-up was when it came out and how it's going to look even worse when the season ends.
yeah, we still may go on a run this year but that was definitely not fair to the current kids

That 82 team had the future GOAT (who wasn't even on the cover!); 3 NBA HOFers, a really good PG, and a glue guy in Matt.

I get the arguments, but I'll just say the team is DIFFERENT, and could be potentially better. We are on the right path in returning to Carolina basketball, but the other key will be the use of personnel, which frankly Hubert needs to be more consistent and STRATEGIC with.

RJ and Caleb are showing signs of being more effective team players, Leaky is showing more aggression and Mando (healthy) is ACC POY. Hubert need to have planned minutes and roles for the other guys. Puff and Washington now give us good frontcourt options,. as do Dunn and Trimble as wings (and I woukd like to see NIckel not be forgotten there). It's just a matter of utilizing their respevtive strengths.

yeah, we still may go on a run this year but that was definitely not fair to the current kids

That 82 team had the future GOAT (who wasn't even on the cover!); 3 NBA HOFers, a really good PG, and a glue guy in Matt.
I dunno who had that idea, but it was a bad idea. And, I'm frankly surprised HD would go along with it.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I get the arguments, but I'll just say the team is DIFFERENT, and could be potentially better. We are on the right path in returning to Carolina basketball, but the other key will be the use of personnel, which frankly Hubert needs to be more consistent and STRATEGIC with.

RJ and Caleb are showing signs of being more effective team players, Leaky is showing more aggression and Mando (healthy) is ACC POY. Hubert need to have planned minutes and roles for the other guys. Puff and Washington now give us good frontcourt options,. as do Dunn and Trimble as wings (and I woukd like to see NIckel not be forgotten there). It's just a matter of utilizing their respevtive strengths.
Absolutely agree Gary. Watching Washington last night, it is apparent to me at least, that he needs 10-12 min per game backing up Bacot. That should not even be a question, but I still have lingering doubts that Hubert will follow through with what looks obvious to all of us.
Nances min( for me now), are limited to the 4 spot, so Washington can play.
Nance min would obviously be reduced in this capacity, but his production could increase if he is fresher and without foul trouble.
Puff gives us a change of pace at the 4 and I prefer Leaky to stay as the 3. I feel we lose the advantage he provides by playing him at the 4.
I would use Trimble and Dunn solely as backups to the starting guards. I don't like the 3 guard look, unless it is end game situations at times.
Nickel needs those backup 3 min, and going small relagates him to the bench.
That dude is gonna be a scoring dog before he leaves College, and we better be careful that doesn't take place somewhere else.
Nickel is my Matt Harpring.

Boy I would love for Nickel to grow into anything close to Matt Harpring! The dude was awesome, fearless, and at times unguardable! I am disappointed because I really thought we would win this one. Bacot going down dashed that hope and RJ's phantom fouls exacerbated the issue! I have noticed that Hubs is learning very quickly and is willing to change on the fly. I assume he has now seen enough to take some of the training wheels off Washington (assuming no soreness from the extended minutes); find more minutes for Puff and Dunn; stick with the more Carolina like O; fix a situation based rotation; and play more multiple iterations of our base D. I do give him a break with the rotation thing because he is facing some serious issues of health (Washington, Dunn, Leaky, Nance, Bacot) and lack of practice time earlier in the season that have impacted the ability to set them! For example, even if he wanted to bench Caleb, how can he when RJ is in foul trouble, Seth is not having his best game, Dunn is needed as a wing/forward, and the team we faced is playing seriously physical D? (+ do we know if Caleb is the type to respond well to a benching or will he sink lower?) Going from 4 to 1 Big + losing 2 starters that quickly is something no coach would find easy to remedy!

Reactions: tarwhiz
McKoy is just out there getting cardio. Can’t think of one thing he does that brings value. At least Styles is a 5 star athlete and can make energy plays

Not sure if it’s coaching or what but it confuses me how any scholarship player on this team was a 3 star recruit at worst yet we have several players that dont do anything well from a skill standpoint. Trimble looks like he plays cornerback or running back for the football team and hes playing basketball to stay in shape for football season
Suppose it's just that athleticism is rated pretty highly when recruiting, both intentionally and accidentally because at lower levels guys can dominate on athleticism alone. Agreed that Trimble doesn't have a lot of offensive skills so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT