ADVERTISEMENT

Final preseason notes...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
With scrimmages and exhibitions on the horizon, and ACC media hype outta the way, just offering a quick addendum vis-a-vis practice take-aways. First, everything I posted previously still holds... so, a few quick add-ons:

- As some others have observed and players have commented on, this is indeed a collectively more "athletic team" than last year, and the staff has wisely sought to take full advantage with more aggressive tempo --- and yes (thankfully), even on made shots (!!).
Caveat #1: Will that translate into real games?... i.e., will Hubert back off his habit of defaulting to set plays so much? Practices sure seem to make it seem that way --- we shall see...
Caveat #2:
Will he resist the temptation to take the foot off the gas too soon? Again, only games will tell..,.

- As to said athleticism and tempo, expect to see way more free-wheeling transition and finishes, including a lot more lobs (in the half-court as well). All this depends on EC with the keys, and then expect to see guys like JWash, Withers, Seth, Jackson and Powell doing some flushing off the dime.

- Literally every source I know has pointed to JWash as a force on both ends so far --- shooting, finishing, rebounding and rim-protecting. If we can spell him with wider bodies and he resists the ticky-tack fouls, he can break out.

- It's likely the "regular" starting lineup could be fluid early, but i suspect the only position ultimately up in the air is the "4". We have myriad options for both "big" and "small" configurations. Drake is probably the most likely frosh to crack it, and that depends on his rebounding willingness, as he may well be asked to play some 4.

- Once again, it's a truly deep team and I expect that to be used in a legit manner, and scoff if you will, but the best statistical precursor of success will be if EC leads in minutes and nobody is having to log 35-per.

- Finally, the team has indeed practiced traps and Zone --- but will we utilize them much? We should -- this bunch could rain hell in Scrambles --- but that I dunno.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT