ADVERTISEMENT

Getting a little respect in the coaches poll

In the AP poll. James Madison is #25. 1st year in FBS and ranked. And the first ever JMU football team was in 1972.

And we have UNC fans who have resigned themselves to UNC never being any good.

The Miami team we just hung on to defeat was easily whipped by Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee opened its season losing to James Madison 44-7

Some P5 team is going to hire Curt Cignetti before too long.

Reactions: randman1
The Miami team we just hung on to defeat was easily whipped by Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee opened its season losing to James Madison 44-7

Some P5 team is going to hire Curt Cignetti before too long.
Good ole transitive property. We coulda really had some fun if the Aggies would’ve converted that short pass last night and knocked off Bama after losing to App St, who UNC beat.

Figured you’d still be bitching after a 5-1 start.

Good ole transitive property. We coulda really had some fun if the Aggies would’ve converted that short pass last night and knocked off Bama after losing to App St, who UNC beat.

Figured you’d still be bitching after a 5-1 start.
We have fans who recognize than even an 11-1 finish could mean not being ranked Top 10 because the schedule is weak. And you seem to assume that UNC fans should be be satisfied with a lot of bad play and some lucky Ws over nobodies.

How confident are you that Mack with the best talent UNC has had since '97 could out coach Curt Cignetti who has a team with top-level 1AA talent?

That is the kind of inquiry that gets us to see both those who want a program that wins championships and those who are OK if we just pretend to want to win, especially if we have a coach who is an alum or is a pleasing sliver tongue like Mack who has schmoozed basketball powers that be.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
We have fans who recognize than even an 11-1 finish could mean not being ranked Top 10 because the schedule is weak. And you seem to assume that UNC fans should be be satisfied with a lot of bad play and some lucky Ws over nobodies.

How confident are you that Mack with the best talent UNC has had since '97 could out coach Curt Cignetti who has a team with top-level 1AA talent?

That is the kind of inquiry that gets us to see both those who want a program that wins championships and those who are OK if we just pretend to want to win, especially if we have a coach who is an alum or is a pleasing sliver tongue like Mack who has schmoozed basketball powers that be.
It's Carolina Football, take the 5-1 over whomever is on the schedule and run like the wind. A lucky W is the same as an unlucky W. Bama has had 2 lucky W's, and they count the same and they're still in the playoff hunt.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what Curt Cignetti is doing. Just because you win at James Madison doesn't mean you're going to have that same success at a P5.

5-1. Go Heels.

Just because we can be better, doesn't mean we can't appreciate what we have. And what we have is a 5-1 record. I look forward to you posting less if we continue to win.

11-1, and we'd be in the top 10. Lots of teams are going to lose some games.

In terms of the schedule being "weak," maybe not as much as some think. App State was pretty good. Notre Dame is down in the rankings but they are a good team who played well against us, and I bet will be ranked again before all is said and done.

Wake is ranked. So is NC State, and we play both.

They deserve a LITTLE respect. Not too much, but a little bit. Ugly win after ugly win (I say it's luck as much as ugly) isn't going to last.

They have enough good talent to get the product more streamlined and less erratic.

Good teams/programs learn to win close games and almost always beat teams less talented. At least that aspect of the program seems to have progressed (fingers crossed).

Exactly what's going on with the defense, both last year and this year, I doubt it was Bateman's influence and coaching. He was fired for the D's non-performance but perhaps his scheme is better than the bend don't break approach. It's hard to figure out with all the talent we have on defense, why we're performing so poorly.

Fortunately, we have perhaps the best QB in the country and receivers not dropping balls.

Defense is what is at this point. We're just really weak at the point of attack. Duke..42 carries for 297 yards. Terrible. I think we have about 12 sacks on the year, so not good there either.
Well, we need to adjust because it's not a lack of athleticism. At least Chizik has incorporated some blitzes. Thing is it's easy to play against if you know exactly what the D will do. Maybe Bateman's ideas were too complex for our players or they gave up on it, but somewhere between Bend Don't Break and Bateman or Venable's approach might work with just a few tweaks.

I cannot figure how Moo is still ranked. It's not just the 2 losses. Now they have no QB. They can't beat everybody left on their schedule 9-6.

The best thing for the ACC will be Clemson and UNC winning out, meeting in the ACC Championship 12-0 vs. 11-1.
Moo is the perfect example of why it's better to start the season ranked. If the rankings didn't come out until after week four, they would have never been higher than 20-22.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I cannot figure how Moo is still ranked. It's not just the 2 losses. Now they have no QB. They can't beat everybody left on their schedule 9-6.

The best thing for the ACC will be Clemson and UNC winning out, meeting in the ACC Championship 12-0 vs. 11-1.
Would obviously love to go undefeated the rest of the way, and it would be the best thing for the ACC. But just don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong. I think 9-3 is more realistic, and honestly I wouldn't be disappointed given preseason expectations, and with our defense.

Wake is going to be a problem. The way their slow mesh works is the QB makes multiple reads (sometimes as many as three), so it takes a very disciplined defense to beat it. It's probably the most innovative offense in CFB over the last few years which is why it's given teams fits. And with Hartman running it, that's not a good match-up for us. You have to get really creative disguising your defense (something we don't really do), and it helps to get pressure (something we struggle with), and even then they can still make it work. Our best bet in winning that one is probably going to be winning turnovers and just out scoring them.

Then with Pitt and GaTech we're going to have to stop the run which we know is a huge question mark. So, wouldn't be surprised if we drop one of those. That leaves UVA and State. UVA should be a win. State won't have Leary.

Would obviously love to go undefeated the rest of the way, and it would be the best thing for the ACC. But just don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong. I think 9-3 is more realistic, and honestly I wouldn't be disappointed given preseason expectations, and with our defense.

Wake is going to be a problem. The way their slow mesh works is the QB makes multiple reads (sometimes as many as three), so it takes a very disciplined defense to beat it. It's probably the most innovative offense in CFB over the last few years which is why it's given teams fits. And with Hartman running it, that's not a good match-up for us. You have to get really creative disguising your defense (something we don't really do), and it helps to get pressure (something we struggle with), and even then they can still make it work. Our best bet in winning that one is probably going to be winning turnovers and just out scoring them.

Then with Pitt and GaTech we're going to have to stop the run which we know is a huge question mark. So, wouldn't be surprised if we drop one of those. That leaves UVA and State. UVA should be a win. State won't have Leary.
Our next game is Homecoming vs. Pitt - in 2 weeks. Mack has shown precious little ability to use a Bye week to get the team over hurdles (for example, ND earlier this year), but just having 2 weeks for everybody to get healthy and prepare should help. As should Home Field.

WE should win that game.

At UVA could be tough only because Mack's history in Charlottesville is abysmal.

And then there is Wake in Winston-Salem. If he has any talent and any experience, never count out Dave Clawson. Wake's next 3 games are BC, @Louisville, and @Moo. Wake could enter the UNC game 8-1, knowing that win could mean Top 10. Wake was our first football game. Have we ever met with both teams 8-1?

GT has shown som life since Collins was fired. Part of that I think is a spark because rte interim is a GT alum with Bama assistant experience. But this UNC team should beat GT un Chapel Hill.

Then we close also in Chapel Hill against a Wuffie team with no QB.

This team should not finish worse than 10-2.

If this team wins 10+ games this year then they better be prepared to ride the hype train going into next year. Anytime you win a decent amount of games and have one of the best QB's in college football coming back, you're going to get a lot of love from the media. They'll have a decent shot at being in the preseason top 10 again. I'm hoping that some major improvements can be made on defense and Mack can possibly bring in some high level transfer portal guys on that side of the ball.

Next year will end up being either one of the greatest, or most frustrating seasons in Carolina football history.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT