ADVERTISEMENT

Good For Roy

Re: Roy blasts UNC fans

No problem soap! Thought you were referencing my post and it was late.

This isn't likely to go away anytime soon and it was an issue back when it was built.

Re: Roy blasts UNC fans

Originally posted by Littlejon:
No problem soap! Thought you were referencing my post and it was late.

This isn't likely to go away anytime soon and it was an issue back when it was built.
Cool man. And I have nothing against students having a "section" or "sections". Just not at the expense of those who actually put up big money to get the Dean Dome built.

Roy got a standing ovation today at Coach Smith's memorial. Coach Guthridge did also.

when the smith center was proposed the donors were promised their seats for life plus their childrens lives.
my kid is 25 so god willing my son would still have another 50 + years to hang onto my tickets if i dropped today.
see the problem?
i can't recall the exact numbers but those first 8-12 midcourt rows were a 1/2 million for 8 tickets in 1980's money.
carolina also held on to some of those tickets and sold them for much higher prices through part of the 80's.
what would 8 tickets be worth today?
what does contract law say about this?
how do you justify moving someone to put a student into that expensive of a seat?

The easiest solution is for anyone who is going to a game is to simply cheer like it is there very first time at the Smith Center seeing a Carolina basketball game, even if it is your 500th. Old, young, rich, or poor, just show some passion for your team!

GO HEELS!!!!!

Originally posted by franklin street:
when the smith center was proposed the donors were promised their seats for life plus their childrens lives.
my kid is 25 so god willing my son would still have another 50 + years to hang onto my tickets if i dropped today.
see the problem?
i can't recall the exact numbers but those first 8-12 midcourt rows were a 1/2 million for 8 tickets in 1980's money.
carolina also held on to some of those tickets and sold them for much higher prices through part of the 80's.
how do you justify moving someone to put a student into that expensive of a seat?
Main thing to me is the school MUST do what was agreed when folks ponied up those huge $$$$$$$. Otherwise, they are no better than our federal government.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by CarolinaBlue1982:

Also time for a change when it comes to the intro song, "Jump Around" by House of Pain. That song was popular in 1992. 23 years later? Not so much. Remember the intros the UNLV Runnin' Rebels had with Tark the Shark?

Does Roy have a clue what the lyrics are?

"I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe
If your girl steps up, I'm smacking the Ho
Words to your Moms, I came to drop bombs
I got more rhymes than the Bible's got psalms..."
+1....House of Pain is brutal. I have not been to a game in the DES for a few years. Do they still designate a player to do the dance during the intro, Danny Green style?

Originally posted by CarolinaBlue1982:

Also time for a change when it comes to the intro song, "Jump Around" by House of Pain. That song was popular in 1992. 23 years later? Not so much. Remember the intros the UNLV Runnin' Rebels had with Tark the Shark?

Does Roy have a clue what the lyrics are?

"I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe
If your girl steps up, I'm smacking the Ho
Words to your Moms, I came to drop bombs
I got more rhymes than the Bible's got psalms..."
Yes, and let's also get rid of all rock and roll songs while we are at it.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Was at the game and was taken by surprise (in a good way) by the four corners, and by the time i saw the coaches with the 4 in the air and the guys spread out, the play was almost over, but what a great touch!

I was a student during the great seating debate that took place after the snow game (which was one heck of an experience) that got the risers put in. Maybe if they renovate they can get risers on the other end or at least make those sections behind the goal a wall of students. Students surrounding the court - i'm not sure how we get there. At least it's louder than the football games and people get loud for most big games?

Originally posted by soap - new and improved:

see the problem?
Main thing to me is the school MUST do what was agreed when folks ponied up those huge $$$$$$$. Otherwise, they are no better than our federal government.
wink.r191677.gif
I'd want to see the contract laws and whatnot before I really speak to the topic. I'd think it unfair to future students and alumni to have the seats locked up by a certain group of people for so long.

Yes they paid for the seats and are entitled to someyhing. UNC is a public institution, and you're essentially privatizing the seating to a select few families that had the money to pay for it.

What if they were going to build a new arena, and I offered to pony up 400 million or whatever it would cost, if I could have all the seats in the place? Then I sit there at midcourt first row, and watch the games in private without letting anyone else into the arena to watch. I'd be effectively killing UNC basketball, but hey, you're telling me if I paid for the right to do that, that I should be able to?

I get that we can't screw the people who paid (even though theyve already gotten 30 years of tickets, which I'd say is fair value at this point), but they can't screw the rest of the school either....

see the problem?
You don't. You just hope they're un-selfish enough, and simply "get it" enough to agree to move to a (still very desirable) new location inside the DES to accommodate students. But then, this would require people to not be selfish, so good luck on that.

Originally posted by Hark_The_Sound_2010:

see the problem?
wink.r191677.gif
I'd want to see the contract laws and whatnot before I really speak to the topic. I'd think it unfair to future students and alumni to have the seats locked up by a certain group of people for so long.

Yes they paid for the seats and are entitled to someyhing. UNC is a public institution, and you're essentially privatizing the seating to a select few families that had the money to pay for it.

What if they were going to build a new arena, and I offered to pony up 400 million or whatever it would cost, if I could have all the seats in the place? Then I sit there at midcourt first row, and watch the games in private without letting anyone else into the arena to watch. I'd be effectively killing UNC basketball, but hey, you're telling me if I paid for the right to do that, that I should be able to?

I get that we can't screw the people who paid (even though theyve already gotten 30 years of tickets, which I'd say is fair value at this point), but they can't screw the rest of the school either....
What you fail to understand is that there would be NO Dean Dome without these Ram's Club members! The University didn't have the funds and the state legislature refused to allow any funds for the project. $34 million(about $75million in today's money) was raised and contracts were signed and must be honored. Just because you don't like the results 30 years later doesn't mean these contracts are not binding. DES would insist they be honored, it's the right thing to do. Also, these people have not gotten 30 years of tickets, they have to purchase them. And no, I'm not a Ram's Club member.

You want the kid's in front? Build a new arena, pay back the Ram's Club members($75million) or get the state to fund/borrow the money based upon future revenues to renovate the Dome sinking the floor or adding Luxury Boxes and asking the Blue Hairs to volunteer to move there.

Originally posted by trollbaby:
Originally posted by Hark_The_Sound_2010:

see the problem?
wink.r191677.gif

What you fail to understand is that there would be NO Dean Dome without these Ram's Club members! The University didn't have the funds and the state legislature refused to allow any funds for the project. $34 million(about $75million in today's money) was raised and contracts were signed and must be honored. Just because you don't like the results 30 years later doesn't mean these contracts are not binding. DES would insist they be honored, it's the right thing to do. Also, these people have not gotten 30 years of tickets, they have to purchase them. And no, I'm not a Ram's Club member.

You want the kid's in front? Build a new arena, pay back the Ram's Club members($75million) or get the state to fund/borrow the money based upon future revenues to renovate the Dome sinking the floor or adding Luxury Boxes and asking the Blue Hairs to volunteer to move there.
And we have The Winner!

Great Post trollbaby!

Great...another thread of posters telling people how they should show their fandom. I love these.

Re: Roy

Roy, Roy, Roy...

You know how some people "have a way with words"? You know? People who can deliver tough messages in a way that makes it more easily digested? Roy's the opposite of that. He has an uncanny way of making an innocuous thought sound really bad. I guess it's a gift.

Mugs is a funk fest, someone's talking junk
Yo, I'll bust em in the eye
And then I'll take the punks home
Feel it, funk it
Amps in the trunk
And I got more rhymes than there's cops at a "Dunkin Donuts" shop
Sure enough I got props from the kids on the Hill
Plus my mom and my pops

I have a solution:

1) Play all games in Carmichael Auditorium.
2) Only students and band (and media) are allowed into Carmichael, first come - first serve. Doors open 3 hours before game.
3) Rams Club members and large donors sit in their previous purchased seats in the Dean Dome. Game shown live on big screens positioned for all to see.
4) Any students overflow from Carmichael gets to sit in any seats open after tip off in the Dean Dome.

Ok - so I don't have the solution. Came to me in a dream and I guess I better go back to bed to come up with a better idea.

good seats (1st row upstairs, inner circle, sec. 233) nothing but the gray concrete wall in front of us and the Smith Center floor below us...seats went for $10k each back when we did the walk through to select seats...
people that sit in those first 10-12 rows downstairs don't have the best seats, close in but can't see much. Better view looking slightly down at the floor, so mid to top end downstairs.
10-15 yrs ago a half scholy to endow a seat was $75k, full scholy $150k a seat, course the University will reclaim them when a next generation is not available or no one to pay for tix and Ed Found, course the University will resell them in a heartbeat.
Families may leave seats (like ours) to one generation, then all bets are off.
To stay in seats and tix, one must also pony up Ed Found money and ticket money, then also hotels, meals, and any other expenses which can easily be 5k-6k a yr.
So are we invested Roy? Hell yes we are invested. What we have are the privileged few that think showing up counts. SHOW UP AND BE LOUD. Otherwise, stay home.

Originally posted by UNC-75:
I have a solution:

1) Play all games in Carmichael Auditorium.
2) Only students and band (and media) are allowed into Carmichael, first come - first serve. Doors open 3 hours before game.
3) Rams Club members and large donors sit in their previous purchased seats in the Dean Dome. Game shown live on big screens positioned for all to see.
4) Any students overflow from Carmichael gets to sit in any seats open after tip off in the Dean Dome.

Ok - so I don't have the solution. Came to me in a dream and I guess I better go back to bed to come up with a better idea.
I like this list!

Never have understood why people go to watch their team play, but sit on their hands and watch the game like their sitting on their couch at home?....Guess those type of Tarheel fans wouldn't like watching a game with me...lol!

I'm part of the loud and proud Tarheel crowd whether watching at home or in person!

Go Tarheels!

Maybe ol' Roy needs to worry less about fans and more about coaching and recruiting.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Maybe ol' Roy needs to worry less about fans and more about coaching and recruiting.
I have to agree . . .

Yes what a major letdown tonight! Called out the fans Saturday and then forgot to prepare his team to give the fans something to cheer and be loud about....U coach and we'll cheer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT