ADVERTISEMENT

Good For Roy

brevard'04grad

Hall of Famer
Dec 5, 2004
Roy blasts UNC fans

Good for him and I 100% agree with him. UNC should have one of the best home court advantages but they don't bc of all the sweater vests.

Loved his post game show. Ran 4 coners to start game and he was disappointed more of the crowd didn't get up and excited over it, went on to say, of course like usual, crowd was asleep all day. Am sick of hearing them fans on the bottom built the place, put the students on the floor where they belong and get the Smith Center loud. Am an oldie fan here of 50 years, and i agree its time for a change.

Roy disappointed with fans

Come on Tar Heel fans, our coach is wanting you to bring some noise to the games! He was very disappointed with the reception the fans gave to the Four Corners. It seems like our fans only think they can get rowdy for Duke, Louisville or NC State......come on show your passion every game!

Roy is a sly ole fox! Gettin things set up for Tuesday nite!
cool.r191677.gif

But yeah, gotta make some changes to the seating.

does/can something like this change with the renovation idea that's being talked about?

this is long overdue

Originally posted by gteeitup:
does/can something like this change with the renovation idea that's being talked about?

this is long overdue
We can only hope.................................

Honestly, I bet lots of the fans in the Smith Center didn't know what the first play was all about. Old timers like me actually saw Phil Ford on the court with the hand gesture as well. I bet lots didn't even know what Paige was doing. I do agree with getting more students closer to the action.

Originally posted by luv the heels 62:

Loved his post game show. Ran 4 coners to start game and he was disappointed more of the crowd didn't get up and excited over it, went on to say, of course like usual, crowd was asleep all day. Am sick of hearing them fans on the bottom built the place, put the students on the floor where they belong and get the Smith Center loud. Am an oldie fan here of 50 years, and i agree its time for a change.
What the good Lady said . . !

We have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many fans that are spoiled rotten and have no appreciation of what DES mean,t,,t ,four corners NOTHING . By and large, they are a recent vintage that thinks all we need do is roll the ball out on the court and teams will cower and we are gonna win God knows they are all over this board and TOS too
SHow the F up ,raise some hell and support this group of young men..... enough with the sitting on your butts and politely clapping like this is an opera.

I know one thing, I was in my living room watching ...when I realized they were running the four corners I made enough noise to cover three lower level sections. Awesome stuff.
happy0003.r191677.gif

Originally posted by UNC-75:
Honestly, I bet lots of the fans in the Smith Center didn't know what the first play was all about. Old timers like me actually saw Phil Ford on the court with the hand gesture as well. I bet lots didn't even know what Paige was doing. I do agree with getting more students closer to the action.
Yeah my living room went wild when I saw that. You're probably right though. Sadly a LOT of people in the Smith Center didn't understand what was happening.

UNC's homecourt is easily one of the worst in the ACC. I'm glad Roy said something today. I just wish something would be done about it. Unfortunately, until the old entitled bunch is removed from the lower bowl, it will continue to be like this. We could have a great environment if the kids were around the court.

My freshman year was the first in the Smith Center. Our seats were in the top 2 rows. DES was pretty mad and he was able to move some of us downstairs. I think its time to move the kids on bleachers around the bottom 4 rows...then push everyone else up. It will make for a dynamic game and shut up the wine and cheese issues. The reality is that 30 years ago...those tickets were bought by wealthy alumni...who were likely in their 30-50's well fast forward 30 years... now they are in their 60-80's. Thats our problem right there.

Quite a tribute to Coach Smith.
This post was edited on 2/21 9:21 PM by UNC-75

2rxgxaw.jpg

Check out GT Coach Gregory's reaction!

Ol'Roy asks for fan's aka season ticket holders to "invest" in the Tar Heels! Well, he should be able to remember that the Ram's Club raised $34 million dollars way back in the mid80's in order to build the Dome as no public funds were allowed to be allocated. You want to open up the lower section to loud fans? It's simple, pay back the people who enabled the Dome to be built. That's about $76 million today!

This post was edited on 2/21 8:47 PM by trollbaby

We've had this discussion before - Contributors to help build the Smith Center vs. Students. Honestly I see both sides of the argument. I did not contribute to the Smith Center but I have contributed many many dollars to UNC over the years so I believe I have some credibility here. As a major contributor to the University and a lover of UNC basketball if I was in charge given the opportunity I would have much more of the students closer to the courtside. Also, I would not send the contributors to the rafters but a decent seat is acceptable. Heck, as a contributor I would want my team to have the best home court advantage possible. That means either of 2 things: 1) get my butt off the seat and cheer, 2) seat in less ideal seats and enjoy the students cheering their heads off just like all of us older and contributing alumni did in our day.

That's a good call Troll. Allow people new seats or offer them a refund. It's that easy.

Also, I have been to a few games this year, including Syracuse, and the student seats weren't all full. Just sayin. Y

Couple things...

1. I agree with Roy's comments. He's right. It would be great and the players probably need a little support right now.

It's tough to criticize your own fans in today's age though. Many will take it the wrong way and the media may misconstrue what he said. He probably could have picked a better moment within the presser to say it. Probably saying it somewhere in the middle vs talking about the 4 corner tribute would have been a better decision. Again, I agree with his comments, but tough to pull that off in today's day. Tough call.

2. Can it be that fan interest has waned a bit since we haven't been true national title contenders for a couple years?

Chances are, this will be the third straight year we lost 10+ games... Maybe there's just a lack of interest in good, but not great UNC teams? I don't vividly remember, but it seems atmospheres at games were better consistently between about 2004-2012 when UNC was the best program in the country. Sure not every game was a crazy atmosphere, but winning brings more passions.

Maybe if the students had better seats and felt more a part of the action those seats would be filled. On a side note the avatar gets changed in honor of Coach Smith.

This post was edited on 2/21 9:27 PM by UNC-75

Originally posted by SJung851:

2. Can it be that fan interest has waned a bit since we haven't been true national title contenders for a couple years?

Chances are, this will be the third straight year we lost 10+ games... Maybe there's just a lack of interest in good, but not great UNC teams?
I am wondering the very same thing. I often wonder how full Cameron will be when K leaves and dook suffers some 10+ loss seasons, maybe even more losses. It won't be the same after a few seasons out of the top 20.

I remember an ex-girlfriend who's dad went to Michigan and he said before Bo Schembechler got there, Michigan's stadium was barely half-full in the mid-late 60's. I never researched his comment, but it makes sense that it could.

dig down to lower the court level ... remove seats across from the teams ... put students from corner of UNC team to visiting team .. insert pep band back to courtside ...
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 2/21 10:18 PM by tarheels0015

Maybe if the students had better seats and felt more a part of the action those seats would be filled. On a side note the avatar gets changed in honor of Coach Smith.

This post was edited on 2/21 9:27 PM by UNC-75
If students want to argue they are better fans, then they better show up all the time. Currently they are not doing that.

Remember the Snowstorm game of 2000? Only students and die-hard fans filled the Smith Center and Carolina officials made seating general admission so the lower tier was rowdier than ever. It helped the unranked Tar Heels upset the Terrapins. The video quality is horrible, but watch a bit of the game and notice the difference in crowd reaction and noise. Especially near the end.

The Heels don't enjoy the home-court advantage it had while playing in Carmichael Auditorium, where they only lost 20 games from its December 1965 opening until moving to the Smith Center in January 1986.

2000 Snowstorm Game - Maryland vs. UNC

To be honest I was at the game and was like why is Jackson doing standing in the corner. And didn't realize what they were doing until right before PAIGE made the pass to Brice.

OK, I didn't go to UNC, but I know many people who did and I can tell you what they told me. Students have a harder time getting tickets than anyone else. Now, how true that is may be debatable, but I go to church with an alum who has said the same thing. She said it is easier for her to get tickets to games now than when she was a student. If this really is the case, then that is a shame and should change.

Having been to many games in the Dean Dome, I can say that there should be a way to accommodate both students and fat cats alike. Sure those who gave paid for the building but that was also 30 years ago. A great many of those folks are dead and gone and likely passed their seats along to kids or grand kids. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I dare say the place has been paid for many times over, if you get my drift.

What I think would solve a lot is to make several enclosed luxury suites around the concourse and cut out some of the general seating to do so. Dropping the court level would also give you added space, but luxury boxes would move those with the prime seating up and give you some really good real estate for students.

Take 200-300 seats on the visitor end of the court, wrapped from behind the visitor bench across the goal and to the other side. Make this the "student section" and put the band lower down in the corner right behind the students. Basically lower down from where it is now. This makes it very loud behind the visitors and give the students a chance to go nuts in the second half against the opponents. It also puts the students down closer to the court but not in the primo seats that the fat cats covet at half court. You could move enough fat cats to luxury boxes that those seats open up to move those in the new "student" section over if they so choose.

I think there are things you can do to make it more "rowdy" without completely giving up perks for those who pay for them.

This post was edited on 2/22 2:07 AM by Littlejon

Re: Roy blasts UNC fans

Yeah, I mean scroo all those people who actually paid for the place, right??

Students can raise heck from anywhere in the place...... It's on them if they don't.

Talk about entitled....

I guess you missed this part of my post:

"I think there are things you can do to make it more "rowdy" without completely giving up perks for those who pay for them."

I think if you have half a brain you can see by my post above that I was saying there should be a way to accommodate both sides. I think you can do it in a way that punishes neither and might actually make both happy.

Yes, those who "paid" for the place deserve to sit where they want, but you also have to realize that without the students what kind of place would it be to go see a basketball game? At some point you also have to realize that those students, who you want to come back and give money when THEY start earning it, might not want to part with their money if it is going to a facility where they were basically told they didn't matter. At some point the money dries out and then what? If you don't make it a place people who go to school there want to come back to then who are you going to get to come? And do you really want college basketball to become the NBA where you have to make 6 figures just to get nosebleed seats?

All that sounds great, but the average Joe won't be able to come see the games and therefore won't be as apt to follow UNC basketball and then what will you have?

Oh, and if you think just giving the students a seat wherever they can find one will "allow" them to get rowdy no matter where it is, then you obviously haven't been to a lot of games there. I have personally seen people tell students who weren't in a section with other students to sit down and be quiet. One or two kids trying to get loud with a bunch of fuddy duddies who tell them to stop it doesn't exactly make for a "rowdy" crowd. No, students grouped together where they can get as loud as they want and jump around without having to worry about bothering someone who doesn't want to be bothered is precisely why this is needed.
This post was edited on 2/22 2:11 AM by Littlejon

Wasn't actually responding to you Littlejon, unless you were one of the persons using the term "entitled" as a negative towards the folks who actually PAID for the building. It pisses me off when people who have little or nothing invested financially but still want things their way throw around terms like entitled.

BTW, I didn't pay a dime toward the building. I don't have, or ask for, seats down front. When I want tickets I buy them like most everyone else. What I don't do is belittle the fine folks who ponied up many millions for having a "nice seat at the table". Without them there is no Dean Dome.

And you seem to forget that a lot of those old-timers who ponied up the big bucks ARE former students. Not all of them for sure, but many of them.

Great point, and I agree....Of course, the Ga Tech players didn't realize what was happening either until Brice had the ball, and a reverse layup.....Couldn't have been scripted any better!

Me and a buddy who watch every Tarheel game got a kick out of that play to start the game, and a high-five was in order as we too are old enough to remember Phil Ford and the 4 corners!

As for the crowd at the game, I agree with a lot of the comments and remedys, mentioned above....It was an emotional game for many, and Roy was right to call out the crowd during his postgame, regardless of what the talking-heads on ESPN had to say about his comments!

Hopefully, the seating issue will be resolved with the new improvements, and agree that box seating might just help this issue by giving the donors their own private box, while the students fill their former seats....Like that idea!

Don't like the refund idea: If someone cares enough about the university to donate money, they or their kids shouldn't be entitled to get that money or entitled benefit, back 30 years later.....When the new improvements begin, the old donors benefits should not entirely end, but should be diminished, and the new donors for the new project if donors are needed, should know up front that the students and NOT the donors will have the first several rows of seats that are close to the floor....This should be priority number one when the new improvement plans begin.....

This isn't anything new. The Dean Dome is a library and always has been.

Without a change of seating structure, this won't change. And even with a seating change, UNC basketball doesn't have enough blue collar fans who can attend (priced out), so the atmosphere will never be very raucous.

And yes littlejohn, it is extremely difficult for students to get tickets. And virtually impossible to get "risers" tickets (the section behind the basket). I applied to every game and only got risers twice. One was that game where UVA dismantled us in the Larry Drew year /:

And I don't really buy the "rich donors are entitled to sit down low" spiel. I don't donate at their level, but I do donate a larger percentage of my income than most of them do, and I'd give up my low seat (if I had one) in a second if it meant getting students closer to the floor and improving the atmosphere.

But that's just me. I'm not one to feel entitled to things. It ain't about me, it's about the team.

I loved that Roy called out the fans. It has gotten worse and worse over the years. I don't attend games anymore because the game day atmosphere SUCKS. This is definetly part of the reason UNC is losing on big time recruits and losing so much at home. The DES used to be a place where opponents came in intimidated. No longer.

Something needs to change.

Also time for a change when it comes to the intro song, "Jump Around" by House of Pain. That song was popular in 1992. 23 years later? Not so much. Remember the intros the UNLV Runnin' Rebels had with Tark the Shark?

Does Roy have a clue what the lyrics are?

"I'll serve your ass like John McEnroe
If your girl steps up, I'm smacking the Ho
Words to your Moms, I came to drop bombs
I got more rhymes than the Bible's got psalms..."

I'll always be biased towards the students for preferential and premium seats. In exchange for 100-200K of debt, think they should get the premium seats for sporting events.

Additionally, you can manipulate a great atmosphere. The seats that are most often shot by video during games should be occupied by students. Just makes it appear like a greater atmosphere and realistically is probably a smaller percentage of the seats than most would realize.

pitt put luxury boxes about six rows up and some on the sides(iirc)...they mimicked mich st and to an extent nc state with their students as well.

Quite possibly a lot of the fans did not recognize that the four corners was being run. They only held the ball for about 8 seconds as opposed to several minutes like the old days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT