ADVERTISEMENT

Heels @ Jackets game thread

Hard to deal with how bad this offense is. Some people last year said they weren't worried when Ryan Jones de-committed, because a Fedora offense would always have enough receivers. Nope, definitely not true. :(

Why are we in two-deep all game? Is that really the best option against GT?

Even if it is, I can't imagine it's the best playcall on 4th and 1....

Just when I thought the D was looking decent ...

We can't get them off the damn field!
Oh you can count on us to give up 3rd/4th and short every single time. Have we had a stop all year?

Lots of tackles for loss today at least.

Is it too much to ask for a timeout to preserve enough time for our drive at the end of the half? Fedora can't seem to get that right.

Might we have rather had an extra 40 seconds rather than having a timeout in our pocket heading into halftime? Come on man.

hindsight, obviously, but i throw it deep
I think either strategy is defensible. What is frustratring to me (clearly) is the blatant clock mismanagement, in exactly the same manner we did it last week.

GT had 1st and goal at the 10 with 2:40 left, and we had all three timeouts. GT ran it twice in a row to get the clock down to 1 minute. They had no reason to rush at all with the clock, and no way to get an additional first down. You absolutely must use the timeouts there, as each one saves you 40 seconds. Instead we let 40 seconds run off the clock twice. So we got the ball with 1 minute and 3 timeouts, instead of 2 minutes and 30 seconds with 1 timeout.

On offense each timeout only saves you about 15 seconds or so (even less after a first down). So we cost ourselves at least 50 seconds of time, just as we did in the Duke game -- luckily there ARW caught two long bombs for a TD. This time we weren't so lucky; we kicked it on second down with a timeout completely unused in our pockets. So the poor timeout strategy objectively cost us a much better shot at 3+ points.

Fedora obviously knows loads about football I will never know. But this is a simple calculation that anyone whose played Madden should be able to make. The fact he can't figure it out, when there are millions of dollars on the line for him and his staff.... I just can't begin to understand it. Hire a grad assistant to tell you when to take timeouts if it's really not your forte.

Reactions: gteeitup
yeah, i'm already out on fedora and game management.

at this point i just want the kids to play hard...and i couldn't give two craps about saving shirts, play the kids.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Looking for positives, I think the first and second down defense has been pretty good all year (just based on the eye test, haven't seen the numbers). Particularly given the number of guys injured, those downs have been strong.

Gah. Surratt has tried to fit it into tight windows all day. Finally bit us. Bad decision.

That sequence sums up Fedora: we recover a fumble; then we toss an INT; then GT takes it to the house.

you guys see that?

the receiver at the top on the int replay was open...wonder if surratt is still learning how to throw guys open.

he recognition is late at times, ugh.

HTTPS9tZWRpYS5naXBoeS5jb20vbWVkaWEvUmJjRlhjd0ZNeW9vL2dpcGh5LmdpZgloglog.gif

Yup. 30 yards net when you're down 17 points. Announcers are clamoring for "playing for field position". Why? We need at least 3 touchdowns to win against a team that drains the clock on every possession.

Larry no balls Fedora. He's down 3 scores late in the 3rd quarter against a ball control offense and punts on the plus side of the field. I vote to give Fedora another extension with a raise. Plain and simple Larry Fedora blows and Carolina football is going nowhere fast. Thank god for Coach Roy Williams. Basketball practice starts Monday. There goes the field postion. I'm done with Carolina football for 2017. See you guys next spring on the football board.

fedora thinks he's parcells or butch davis playing the field position game...perfect strategy when your team never gets the f'n ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT