ADVERTISEMENT

Holbrook

tmatheny

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2002
First of all hats off to Holbrook. I thought he did a good job with South Carolina has the season progressed

Second of all, I just visited the South Carolina board And they are throwing him under the bus. One thread discusses why he didn't have the batter bunt in the 9th With one out and one on. Personally I thought he made the right decision it just didn't workout right for him. Second of all they question the lack of patience of the last two batters. As a coach myself we all know despite how many times you may tell a player something that doesn't mean in a pressure situation they're going to remember that.

Thirdly, If I'm not mistaken he's been the recruiting force behind the gamecocks the past few years as well as UNC's prior to him going to South Carolina.

Just wanted to hear some of your thoughts

Trolls come out on our board

after a loss. There are some spoiled fans over there as a result of our success the last couple of years. Every fanbase has them...ours are just pretty vocal on the board.

Holbrook did great this year I thought. Team has a different "look" and I don't think they were as sound defensively...but statistically they were better on offense, and the pitching rebounded nicely considering we lost two of the best pitchers in collegiate history. I think we are in good hands. I met him last year, very nice and it amazes me how much he sounds like Tanner.

I think most of the Cocks know he didn't have vintage level SCAR talent this year. They have a few "fans" like ours that think every L is theirs by God and only a Coach or Manager can take it away.

He's a quality man and will do well for SCAR as long as he's there. And we'll see him a LOT in the future since the NCAA wants to make sure to limit the Carolina entries to Omaha it seems.

Any Gamecock fan with a brain knows we have a great coach in Holbrook. This team lost, literally, some legendary talent. Guys that set records and are household names in Omaha.
Despite that we were 1 run away in 2 games on the road against the number 1 overall seed from getting back to Omaha. It stings. But we had very good year.
Add to that its never easy following a legendary coach. But he'll be fine. We have a very good tradition going. We have a facility that is as good as any you'll find and we have an AD that will provide the resources necessary to compete at the highest level. We will be back in Omaha sooner than later.
The same idiots that are whining now act like its our birthright to be in Omaha every year. Doesn't work that way. It's hard getting there.

Most every Gamecock fan is happy to have Holbrook. Any crap you are seeing is either from some bored Clempson poster or some bandwagon fan that's gotten to close to the sun since our sucess since 2010.

It's very civil in the paid forum (its hitting number higher than a typical football weekend right now). There's a few people that think Holbrook made some bad judgement on his calls but.. hey... its easy to look it things in retrospect, would they be praising him if they would have worked?

Oh well, shoulda coulda woulda. I've got a week in Cancun to break up the long wait for football. Definitely going to watch the UNC/NC State and LSU/UCLA game this weekend.

Holbrook overachieved with the material that Ray Tanner left him, even though the SEC was not very good this year.

Holbrook was the chief recruiter so he coached the talent the he had a large role in amassing. Ray left him an elite program with plenty of talent.
But Chad did face challenges with this team. Lack of reliable righty in the pen, for one. The defense was spotty at times. We have been spoiled by having elite defense up the middle. We didn't always have that this year.
Still, we had a good year and yes, the SEC was very good this year as it is most years. As good as last year or the year before? Maybe not. But very good.

Holbrook did, at best, an average job this year. And considering how terrible we played in CH, probably less than average. His personnel decisions are just god awful at times. I wish we had left him in Chapel Hill. Don't worry tho, you'll have him back in another season or two. Once he's completely undone all the work Tanner put in.

Originally posted by UNC '92:
Cock problems.
Right? You know what isn't a cock problem? Having to wonder what it would be like dogpile in Omaha. That's a problem you're gonna have to figure out.

Just like a cock to think that the sum total of 2 national championships is the coup de grace regarding smack talk. You are a failure cock lover. You may go home with what little pride you have left. We will only laugh at you a little bit. Promise.

Originally posted by UNC '92:
Just like a cock to think that the sum total of 2 national championships is the coup de grace regarding smack talk. You are a failure cock lover. You may go home with what little pride you have left. We will only laugh at you a little bit. Promise.
I'd like to say I'm surprised that a UNC baseball fan would look down on two titles in Omaha, but...lol. You guys don't handle being the inferior program very well at all.

trolls-einstein1.png

Why would you be surprised that a school with 40+ national championships would look down on a cock holding 2? You do suck at this.

I think we have as many national championships this school year as they have in their entire existence. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you are correct but be careful of the cock comebacks that will likely include such arguments as, "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children." And of course, "
No Colonel Sanders you're wrong, Mama's right!"

It will be tough to defend yourself from such attacks because not only are they the most famous Carolina but they are obviously the smartest and use the best logic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT