ADVERTISEMENT

How bad b4 we ask Mack to step-down?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
Mack could probably linger another decade just fielding mediocre 7 win teams, that my guess. As long as Maye is around, we can achieve mediocrity in the future.

But would back2back 6 win seasons be disappointing enough, given the QB talent, for big dawgs to ask him to quit? Or is it going to take a losing record?

Or would 7-4 including losses to ncsu, dook, wake be enough to push him?

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I think he would probably leave before UNC would fire him. He doesn't want to see the program go back to what it was when he got here. If the defense can make some improvements and we somehow win 8 games (which isn't totally out of the question given the schedule) then I think he sticks around because he will feel like things are looking up. The money guys would think that too.

I think he would probably leave before UNC would fire him. He doesn't want to see the program go back to what it was when he got here. If the defense can make some improvements and we somehow win 8 games (which isn't totally out of the question given the schedule) then I think he sticks around because he will feel like things are looking up. The money guys would think that too.
8 wins might not be out of the question, but I think defense making improvements is. Improvement-wise we had some nice short-yardage stands that were impressive yesterday, and our LB's are super athletic when they make the right decision, and corners looked pretty focused, but that's about it, and i'm not sure that max-effort will persist every week.

8 wins might not be out of the question, but I think defense making improvements is. Improvement-wise we had some nice short-yardage stands that were impressive yesterday, and our LB's are super athletic when they make the right decision, and corners looked pretty focused, but that's about it, and i'm not sure that max-effort will persist every week.
I don't see us getting eight wins or the D improving significantly. I will say Longo kinda screwed them in the first quarter. We should have been up 21-0, but instead his pathetic play calling just resulted in 7 points and good field position for ND. That might not have made a difference in the outcome, but the offense was basically trash after that first drive. No one wants to talk about that because we got garbage points at the end.

Reactions: trojanshouse
I don't see us getting eight wins or the D improving significantly. I will say Longo kinda screwed them in the first quarter. We should have been up 21-0, but instead his pathetic play calling just resulted in 7 points and good field position for ND. That might not have made a difference in the outcome, but the offense was basically trash after that first drive. No one wants to talk about that because we got garbage points at the end.
So with just 7 wins this yr do the money guys start to put the heat on Mack? I know he likes dancing in App's lockerroom but eventually he's gotta see the writing on the wall after disappointments like the bowl vs Scar, this ND game, etc. Bubba and everyone else sees it.

So with just 7 wins this yr do the money guys start to put the heat on Mack? I know he likes dancing in App's lockerroom but eventually he's gotta see the writing on the wall after disappointments like the bowl vs Scar, this ND game, etc. Bubba and everyone else sees it.
I have no clue what seven wins would get him. If I had to guess, that's probably enough for one more year as long as it looks like there is some improvement. Transfers might also factor into it. If we have a bunch of high ranked recruits transfer, I imagine that wouldn't help his case.

I will say Longo kinda screwed them in the first quarter. We should have been up 21-0, but instead his pathetic play calling just resulted in 7 points and good field position for ND. That might not have made a difference in the outcome, but the offense was basically trash after that first drive. No one wants to talk about that because we got garbage points at the end.
OL still sucks, Longo's calls work to some extent, and obviously move the ball vs fcs, but it is predictable and he continues to get stuffed vs above average D's.

If ND hadn't fumbled at the 1 yard line during their 1st and goal from the 2 or whatever imminent spot they had, the score would've been so bad we'd be micro-focused on the D even more though.

This is what I was getting at in another thread. Might as well just ride it out with Bateman if you're going to end up having to overhaul the defense again anyways. No HC worth their salt is taking the job without having input on his coordinators imo.

Ideally, what you wanted was for Mack to come in, raise the level of the program (help with fundraising, NIL, facilities, etc), turn over the roster (at least four years of solid recruiting), establish some depth, and winning culture on both sides of the ball. That way he's leaving the program in good shape. We got to win now mode, and our talent is just kinda withering away without much stability on defensive side of the ball, or improvement in OL room. I like Bubba, good AD overall, but this isn't unfolding well for football, at least not the product on the field. Mack would probably need at least a few more years to accomplish what we were looking for, and that's if things go more as intended.

Last edited:
I'm curious what Bubba's plan/ hope is. Every other sport at UNC is doing pretty well..

I'm curious what Bubba's plan/ hope is. Every other sport at UNC is doing pretty well..
He probably hopes to be able to hire the next coach since he didn't hire Mack. The question is do they let him since he's made great hires here or do they make him the fall guy.

He may have made the hire with a different demographic in mind, but it was still absolutely his hire.
He didn't make the decision. The people who bought out Fed's contract did. We can squabble over semantics and say they just "recommended" Mack, but he didn't have much of a choice.

The money guys almost certainly would see going 8-4 as a sign that Mack is about to deliver big time. They likely would not even demand that he allow Chizik to totally clan house on the D staff. And thus they would guarantee continuing mediocrity - that, with the meddling of administration officials who do not want anything close to big winning football because it would taint the university and The Village, is the basic story of UNC football post-Choo Choo.

Factored into this situation must be the new transfer rules. Everybody gets to leave without sitting out a year. Through one-third of the regular season, Drake Maye has 16 TD passes. he's doing that with virtually no running game to help him. Maye isn on track to toss 48 TD passes over 12 games.

Do you know how many contenders for Playoffs and Major Bowls would love to get Maye as transfer QB to make their passing game shine in 2023? None of the young QBs at UGA have shown anything over the previous 3 years or so. Maye could walk into starting on a National Championship contender in 2023 if he were to transfer to UGA.

Do the most talented and heavily recruited UNC players really want to keep playing for a man heading toward 75 who keeps delivering mediocrity interspersed with embarrassing losses?

Mack's future goes as the Defense goes. The Defense looks so horrible that it outshines the good offense. It will eventually hurt recruiting if its not fixed soon. All of that reflects on Mack even tho Chizik is the DC.

The money guys almost certainly would see going 8-4 as a sign that Mack is about to deliver big time. They likely would not even demand that he allow Chizik to totally clan house on the D staff. And thus they would guarantee continuing mediocrity - that, with the meddling of administration officials who do not want anything close to big winning football because it would taint the university and The Village, is the basic story of UNC football post-Choo Choo.

OMG. So they'll let Mack have a top 20 offense, but not a top 20 D?

What happens if the D is suddenly really good? Are they going for force Mack to fire all the O coaches and run off all the good QBs to even out the sides for the sake of mediocrity?

Bubba is not the only AD that has to work around money guys. That comes with the job. Part of being a good AD imo is being a people person and having a vision.

Boosters, season ticket holders, trustees, a lot of people at Clemson wanted Dabo out around 2010, after going 6-7, and losing to SC. Terry Don Phillips went to their president and said this is my guy. Granted Clemson has had more success in football, but that still took some serious cahonies imo. Hired two great coordinators, didn't blink. The rest is what we read about and watch on Saturdays.

See the difference there? I don't get those vibes from Bubba. I get the impression he's more of a rubber stamp on football. I'm not as familiar with how things work on the basketball side of things. But I know there was at least the appearance of a process to hire Hubert. Bubba and Guskiewicz tag teamed it and made a recommendation to the BOT. That's our premier program. Football? Done in a day. I think Bubba loved Mack. The seed was planted when he attended Mack's college HOF selection ceremony. He went on record about how he'd discussed staff specifics with Mack, and about how his coordinators would be judged years down the road.

And it wasn't a bad hire imo if managed right. The conducting and running of the program has been the much larger problem. The first huge red flag should've been the Greg Robinson rumors. But, here we are, wondering what the plan is after canning a DC, and immediately taking a step back. Again, Bubba is an excellent AD overall. But we're paying this guy $1.25 million annually. Some of that's a longevity bonus, but there's also incentives tied to the three major sports. When you do that, he has to be held accountable imo, even more so given football is major revenue. That's if you want a good program, which we all do. That is my take albeit from a distance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT