ADVERTISEMENT

How UNC-dook became the biggest rivalry in Sports

Good article. HBO did a good documentary on the UNC-duke rivalry a while back that included this fight.

UNC-Duke is a rivalry in football as well (obviously not the extent of the basketball side), which I think helps it in notoriety. Even though it was lopsided for awhile, it has the Victory Bell, and it's been a closer contest of late.

OSU - Michigan is big as well, and has to be the biggest college football rivalry - just not sure how big of a rivalry it is on the hardwood.

Alabama - Auburn isn't anything special. Most people wouldn't even know it was a rivalry if ESPN didn't blow it up everyone's keister for the couple weeks leading up to the game.

UNC-Duke is a rivalry in football as well (obviously not the extent of the basketball side), which I think helps it in notoriety. Even though it was lopsided for awhile, it has the Victory Bell, and it's been a closer contest of late.
Not just basketball and football, but all of the other sports as well. Soccer, LAX, etc. One or both schools are almost always one of the best programs in the country every year. That's why UNC-duke will always be a bigger athletic rivalry than moo. Moo doesn't even field a team for some of those sports.

Not just basketball and football, but all of the other sports as well. Soccer, LAX, etc. One or both schools are almost always one of the best programs in the country every year. That's why UNC-duke will always be a bigger athletic rivalry than moo. Moo doesn't even field a team for some of those sports.
Exactly. This is why Carolina - Duke is a big rivalry. Nail on the head. I've had UNC Olympic sports team coaches tell me "F*** Duke" off the record after UNC - Duke games in that sport.

Alabama - Auburn isn't anything special. Most people wouldn't even know it was a rivalry if ESPN didn't blow it up everyone's keister for the couple weeks leading up to the game.
Bro lol, you've got some deep-seeded angst about the SEC.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree with the OP. UNC vs. dook is the best

Honorable Mention:
Yankees vs. Red Sox
Real Madrid vs. Barcelona
Ohio State vs. Michigan
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon

That's a tough call. When you're a fan/former student who grew up in NC, it's hard to argue otherwise. However, in my case, UNC/NCSU was a bigger rivalry. Maybe it was the time and the location. There weren't many dook fans in rural eastern NC. At my school, you were "Carolina" or "State." In my hometown, church, you name it. For me, the dook rivalry never really took a hold until after K became successful. By that time, I was out of school and living in Myrtle Beach. But, over the last 30 years, it's become the biggest rivalry.

I will add that, when I lived in Charlotte, I was living with a girl who was from Ohio and her dad was a former OSU cheerleader (in the mid-60s). We all went to a game in Columbus (OSU/Michigan) one November, around 1998. I've never seen football fans that crazy... ever.

That's a tough call. When you're a fan/former student who grew up in NC, it's hard to argue otherwise. However, in my case, UNC/NCSU was a bigger rivalry. Maybe it was the time and the location. There weren't many dook fans in rural eastern NC. At my school, you were "Carolina" or "State." In my hometown, church, you name it. For me, the dook rivalry never really took a hold until after K became successful. By that time, I was out of school and living in Myrtle Beach. But, over the last 30 years, it's become the biggest rivalry.

I will add that, when I lived in Charlotte, I was living with a girl who was from Ohio and her dad was a former OSU cheerleader (in the mid-60s). We all went to a game in Columbus (OSU/Michigan) one November, around 1998. I've never seen football fans that crazy... ever.
I want UNC - State to be bigger because Duke fans don't really exist.

But State has shit the bed in athletics for 30 years, so it's not a competitive rivalry (football aside). Plus, as has been mentioned, they don't even field many of the Olympic sports in which we battle Duke in Top 10 clashes (Men's lax, field hockey, etc.)

I want UNC - State to be bigger because Duke fans don't really exist.

But State has shit the bed in athletics for 30 years, so it's not a competitive rivalry (football aside). Plus, as has been mentioned, they don't even field many of the Olympic sports in which we battle Duke in Top 10 clashes (Men's lax, field hockey, etc.)
tumblr_n28aith7RD1qfk87to2_.gif

Bro lol, you've got some deep-seeded angst about the SEC.
I do indeed.

Plus, as has been mentioned, they don't even field many of the Olympic sports in which we battle Duke in Top 10 clashes (Men's lax, field hockey, etc.)
While I do like the term Olympic sports better than Non-revenue sports - it is also a misnomer in regards to lacrosse. Lax isn't in the Olympics.

The rivalry started with football, during (and maybe even some before) the Justice era. When I was in school at UNC, the Carolina-Duke football rivalry was as big or bigger than the basketball rivalry is now. But as our basketball program has moved more into prominence (coupled with Duke's decline in football), things changed.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT