ADVERTISEMENT

How Would This Team Be Doing if Roy (or Dean) Held the Reins? What Differences Would We See?

If Dean Smith were coaching this current Tar Heel team, he'd consume the dookies with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Last edited:
I love the idea of mixing defenses to keep opponents off guard but I don't think this team is disciplined enough to play effective zone. Zone requires all 5 guys on the same page or you get killed on skip passes and on the boards. UNC has yet to show consistency in half court offensive sets, especially when RJ is at the point, too much dribbling by him and standing around by others. If the chemistry is not showing up on the offensive end do not expect it on the defensive end.

One other point to make on this discussion: Dean and Roy as we remember them weren't legendary Dean and legendary Roy in their first years of coaching. Dean made plenty of mistakes in his early years (students hung him in effigy!) and Roy exceeded bottom-of-the barrel level expectations at KU. We remember their greatness, but that greatness was forged in fire, over time. We need to give Hubert time as well.

Dean would create offensive and defensive schemes that no one has thought of as yet. The blue team would have gotten a lot of burn!

Dean left mainly due to the players he was being forced to recruit to keep up with the other blue blood programs. Kids change and Dean who was a visionary could see the handwriting on the wall. Regardless of his first several years he was always prepared. Hubert isn’t prepared nor is his team. Kids today need more than a coach, they need a psychiatrist. Just look at our team for instance.
I’ve seen Carolina basketball, and this ain’t it.

I'll be the first to say it and I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but HD aint the one! He just isn't. PERIOD! Look, I love Hubert.. I really do. He's a Carolina guy to the max! He's a great person and I love that he's trying his best, but just because he's a great guy doesn't make him a great coach! I hope i eat my words in a few months or even a few years but you heard it here first!!

So if I'm right we have to go through 2 years of this crap and lose 2 years of our "basketball lives" until HD's time has elapsed in Chapel Hill and then we have to start all over again.. taking even more time (years) to get solid again (If we make the right hire at that time). So here we go gang. Why Roy would do this to us I just don't know!? He all but hand picked HD! And btw, the assistant coaches who are all very likable and Carolina guys have no business being our assistant coaches. We need far more experience and better coaches on our bench who are teaching our young men every day! All we have on our bench is an assembly of "HD's UNC buddies" All the way around, hiring Hubert Davis was a bad idea in my humble opinion! I sure hope I'm wrong. I hope I am because if HD succeeds, it couldn't happen to a better person. But I'm not wrong.. I just believe HD is over his head. If u needed surgery to fix a major health issue, you wouldn't get the nurse to perform the surgery!!! You get a experienced doctor who's done thousands of procedures and has decades of experience! HD has no business leading this storied basketball program! He just doesn't have the experience. Ask Memphis and UConn how it worked out hiring former players!!?? We should have gotten the most high profile, kick ass coach, in all of basketball to lead the best college basketball program ever. PERIOD.

See you guys in about 2023 or 2024 when this "car crash" finally runs head on into a big tree!!! - Until then... Mediocrity at best...AT BEST!!!!!!

I disagree.

moo has NEVER been relevant... LOL.

Seriously, they might have been relevant 60 years ago. But they cheated w/ the DT recruitment and got a title from that in '74. Plus the miracle run by Jimmy V almost 40 years ago. Since then they've had something like 3 seasons where they only had single digit losses.

In regards to IU or UConn, I understand the concern there.
Oh freakin yes they were, I easily recall the wuffs being a heck of a lot more than relevant, they were darn good for a long stretch. If you do not recall the time of Thompson or Burleson or Whit and Sidney Lowe then I don't know what to tell ya other than you were simply born to late to really appreciate how good they were. I recall like yesterday the time when the ONLY ACC team to get to the NCAAs was the acct winner, period full stop!

Reactions: Old_School59
I've seen zone mentioned a bunch.

Would more zone really fix any of our problems? I'm certainly not opposed to giving zone a try, but I'm picturing RJ and Caleb getting beat by quicker guards and wondering if zone would make any difference.

And wouldn't zone make it easier for teams to beat us from deep? Not that they are facing much resistance now.

I'd appreciate some of our gurus explaining how zone would (or wouldn't) be a good idea.

TIA
I like a zone ONLY to give the other team a different look but our bread and butter is man.

Reactions: Archer2
If we're being 100% honest here, this team doesn't make it past the second round with Roy.

Roy's teams made the Sweet 16 10x at UNC. 9 of those years, they at least shared the ACC regular season title. The worst seed Roy made the Sweet 16 was as a 4 seed. And I think apart from the loss to A&M in the second round, Roy never got eliminated in the first weekend as a 1 or a 2 seed.

When Roy's teams were talented and highly seeded, we were typically playing into the second weekend.

When Roy's teams were not highly seeded, we were 2 and done.

Carolinadude23 said:
I'll be the first to say it and I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but HD aint the one! He just isn't. PERIOD! Look, I love Hubert.. I really do. He's a Carolina guy to the max! He's a great person and I love that he's trying his best, but just because he's a great guy doesn't make him a great coach! I hope i eat my words in a few months or even a few years but you heard it here first!!

So if I'm right we have to go through 2 years of this crap and lose 2 years of our "basketball lives" until HD's time has elapsed in Chapel Hill and then we have to start all over again.. taking even more time (years) to get solid again (If we make the right hire at that time). So here we go gang. Why Roy would do this to us I just don't know!? He all but hand picked HD! And btw, the assistant coaches who are all very likable and Carolina guys have no business being our assistant coaches. We need far more experience and better coaches on our bench who are teaching our young men every day! All we have on our bench is an assembly of "HD's UNC buddies" All the way around, hiring Hubert Davis was a bad idea in my humble opinion! I sure hope I'm wrong. I hope I am because if HD succeeds, it couldn't happen to a better person. But I'm not wrong.. I just believe HD is over his head. If u needed surgery to fix a major health issue, you wouldn't get the nurse to perform the surgery!!! You get a experienced doctor who's done thousands of procedures and has decades of experience! HD has no business leading this storied basketball program! He just doesn't have the experience. Ask Memphis and UConn how it worked out hiring former players!!?? We should have gotten the most high profile, kick ass coach, in all of basketball to lead the best college basketball program ever. PERIOD.

See you guys in about 2023 or 2024 when this "car crash" finally runs head on into a big tree!!! - Until then... Mediocrity at best...AT BEST!!!!!!

Epic failure. And I don’t use the word “epic” lightly. You were about as wrong as one can be. See you in 2023 or 2024, or not.

Carolinadude23 said:

Epic failure. And I don’t use the word “epic” lightly. You were about as wrong as one can be. See you in 2023 or 2024, or not.
The CROW will be served chilled but raw, the U-pluckem feathers may be used in a ranch style dipping sauce, what side dish would you prefer? Excuse me sir, I have some distressing news for you, someone just stole your car and they ran it in to a tree, I am afraid you will have to uber home. By the way sir, how is the crow, well sir it is supposed to be served cold and tough so you can enjoy the chewy nature, would you like seconds or was your 1 serving enough? LOL

Carolinadude23 said:

Wow!! Wonder if he is still around?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT