ADVERTISEMENT

Hows this for a nightmare scenario

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
say we win out and play undefeated clemson. We most likely would be 8-13 ish in the cfbp going into the game. If we win, i dont think we leap over clemson in the playoff rankings, nevertheless pass them for the 4th spot. They would still most likely have stronger sos, better wins and a better loss in the eyes of the committee. Wouldnt that suck!

say we win out and play undefeated clemson. We most likely would be 8-13 ish in the cfbp going into the game. If we win, i dont think we leap over clemson in the playoff rankings, nevertheless pass them for the 4th spot. They would still most likely have stronger sos, better wins and a better loss in the eyes of the committee. Wouldnt that suck!

yes, it would suck...but imagine the lift the program gets overall even if that scenario plays out.

I'd be more concerned about this scenario if winning was old hat for us. It is not. Like other schools, we are gonna have to prove we can win for more than just one year to be taken serious or just given a higher ranking whether worthy or not like Michigan. But, yes, the pain will still be there.

Wouldn't be my worst nightmare if we won out and beat Clemson;), but I agree with you that, if that did happen, we would be left out. I think Clemson doesn't get in either in that scenario, but I think the ACC is shut out in that case.

Really, after all the crap we have been thru and the terrible football we have witnessed for the vast majority of the last thirty years, I am not gonna bitch moan or complain about anything

IF that scenario were to unfold, I would be FAR more concerned about keeping Fedora and/ or Chizik at Carolina There is LOTS of $$$$ out there and lots of jobs.

It would suck but I'm SO ENJOYING this run we are on right now and don't really want to think about all that. Yes, the ACC would likely get shut out if we upended an undefeated Clemson team. But we would end up around top 6 or so... Raise your hand if you predicted that before the season. (Crickets...)

GO HEELS!

Really, after all the crap we have been thru and the terrible football we have witnessed for the vast majority of the last thirty years, I am not gonna bitch moan or complain about anything

IF that scenario were to unfold, I would be FAR more concerned about keeping Fedora and/ or Chizik at Carolina There is LOTS of $$$$ out there and lots of jobs.

knowledge bomb

If we win out and beat Clemson, we jump them. Whether or not we go to 4 would remain to be seen, but precedent was set last year that conference championship games matter a great deal.

Long, long ways to go before we get there though.

I think there is a scenario in which we get in. It's not the most likely, and it is 100% dependent on us winning out (which is all we can focus on doing), but there is a chance.

Obviously, we don't know what the playoff rankings for this week look like yet, but if we assume they mirror the AP poll, then the top 12 will be comprised of 4 Big 12 teams (Oklahoma St, Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU), 3 Big 10 teams (Ohio St, Iowa, Michigan St), 2 ACC teams (Clemson, UNC), 2 SEC teams (Alabama, Florida), and Notre Dame.

Looking first at the Big 12, there are going to be some losses there. OK State has to play Baylor & Oklahoma, Oklahoma plays TCU & OK State, Baylor plays OK State, TCU & Texas, TCU plays Oklahoma & Baylor. If the currently undefeated team (OK State) stays that way, that means 1 more loss each for Baylor & Oklahoma. TCU is banged up right now, they will have a hard time winning one or both of their games. Let's say OK State makes it out unbeaten, in the playoff.

Looking at the Big 10, Iowa plays Purdue & Nebraska. Let's say they win out & make the Big 10 title game. Ohio State plays Michigan St & Michigan. Let's say they win out, ending any shot Michigan St or Michigan had. So we see Ohio State & Iowa for the Big 10 title, both unbeaten. Let's say Ohio St wins since they are higher ranked, Ohio St is unbeaten, in the playoff.

The SEC should see 1-loss Alabama take on 1-loss Florida for the SEC championship. Let's say Bama wins, they are in with 1 loss.

For the sake of this exercise, let's say Stanford drops Notre Dame & Navy beats Houston as well.

If we were to win out, being a 1 loss ACC champion, who would be left that would be more deserving? A 1 loss Big 10 runner up? A 2 loss SEC or Big 12 runner up? A 2 loss ND? A 2 loss Pac-12 champion?

The thing is, things could get really messy in the Big 12 if everyone beats on everyone & they all have 2 or more losses. Things could get messy in the SEC if FSU beats Florida, but then Florida beats Bama, giving them no 1 loss teams. Things could get messy in the Big 10 if Michigan St or Michigan beat OSU but OSU still beats Iowa.

If we keep winning, we will have to move up, because the teams in front of us will have to start beating each other. It is possible we could get in there if we win the ACC. I personally don't see how a 1 loss ACC champion that would be on a 12-game winning streak could get snubbed for any conference runner up, particularly if they have 2 losses, which would be the most likely scenario for any runner up other than Iowa. The only other team that I think could get in with 1 loss would be Notre Dame, but it would at least be a discussion of should they include the team who beat Clemson or the team who lost to Clemson. Houston is also a potential monkey wrench if they go undefeated, but if people think our SOS is a weakness (Sagarain has it at 73), then their SOS is a major weakness (103).

Either way, it's just exciting to even think about this for a moment. As long as we keep doing what we have been doing, take care of business on our end, there's no telling where we can be, and I love it! Go Heels!

Last edited:
Lot of football left. Personally think you will see some upsets and a lot of very good 2-loss teams and some very good teams going to 3-loss. I just hope it won't be us. I could easily see Fl State beating FL and then you have a likely 3-loss Florida if they lose to Bama, or perhaps they win there and you have a 2-loss Alabama team, perhaps one of the top 4 in the nation but maybe doesn't get in due to those 2 losses.

Bet Stanford beats Notre Dame. Ohio State could easily win out or lose 2. There are a lot of good teams playing each other.

Thus far, we are showing it. We're not just winning. We're executing on all levels and getting better and better. So like our chances if we keep our heads straight and execute well.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I know we all feel that the SC loss will come back to haunt us if we run the table and beat Clemson, but honestly how do we know that the Heels run off 9 more if we had beaten SC? The team has already said how they used that loss to motivate them to not lose that way again. Maybe they don't have the toughness to come back against GT or hold on versus Pitt, if they hadn't suffered that heartbreaker.

I'm trying to enjoy the ride, as it's been an unexpected surprise that we are playing so well. Finally the Heels can be said to be exceeding expectations, instead of the usual under-achievement.

I'm trying to enjoy the ride, as it's been an unexpected surprise that we are playing so well. Finally the Heels can be said to be exceeding expectations, instead of the usual under-achievement.
Amen, brother. I have to chuckle about playoff talk. I've been a Tar Heel fan long enough to appreciate what we've accomplished so far. Everything else is gravy.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Oh, I've definitely been enjoying the ride, and playoff or not, I'm going to look back at this season as the best football season I can remember. Just would be nice to have the cherry on top of my delicious sundae as well :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT