ADVERTISEMENT

If Fedora is back for 2019

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
How many Wins does he get?

2019 is the weird schedule in that Wake Forest is one of our OOC games. So we play 9 ACC teams: Clemson, Dook, Georgia Tech, Miami, MooU, Pitt, UVA, VT, Wake.

The remaining 3 foes are Mercer (which is a typically 6 Win 1AA team), App State, and SoCar.

Who thinks Fedora can get 7 Wins next year?

App State gonna beat our ass.
Think what fun that will be: Bubba then can explain how he thought it was a great move to give Fedora that huge buyout and extension, and another great move to keep Fedora for 2019, and how nobody thought he should can Fedora to get a lowly App St coach.

2019 is the weird schedule in that Wake Forest is one of our OOC games. So we play 9 ACC teams: Clemson, Dook, Georgia Tech, Miami, MooU, Pitt, UVA, VT, Wake.

The remaining 3 foes are Mercer (which is a typically 6 Win 1AA team), App State, and SoCar.

Hard to say without knowing the QB situation. I don't understand why we play any NC school though. It doesn't have any positives.

Think what fun that will be: Bubba then can explain how he thought it was a great move to give Fedora that huge buyout and extension, and another great move to keep Fedora for 2019, and how nobody thought he should can Fedora to get a lowly App St coach.

I hate to even entertain the thought of Fed returning, but I'm afraid it's a very real possibility given his golden parachute clause, so here goes.

I expect Ruder to transfer, barring Fed acting completely out of character and benching Elliott for Ruder. In all likelihood, barring injury Elliott will remain our starting QB and receive the lion's share of the minutes. And he will most likely start at QB next year if Fed returns. I simply have no faith in Fed's ability to recognize that a QB that can't stretch the offense so that the defense has to defend the whole field, is severely limiting your team. I love Elliott but his passing limitations are glaring.

Most of our team returns next year, and that can be construed as either good or bad, depending on your POV. I think it is good news. While we don't have great talent, there is some good talent on this team, certainly enough to be 5-1 at worst. They just need coaching up.

I believe we're a .500 team next year if Fed returns. I do think we'll win a couple more games this year, WCU being the most obvious.

I pray we cut our losses, hire Satterfield and give him a decent amount of experienced talent to start off with. The rebuilding job is going to be hard enough as it is. With the dismal recruiting class we have coming in and the attrition we will have after next season, the new coach would then be starting with an empty cupboard. And that would be unfair to him/her. ;)

I hate to even entertain the thought of Fed returning, but I'm afraid it's a very real possibility given his golden parachute clause, so here goes.

I expect Ruder to transfer, barring Fed acting completely out of character and benching Elliott for Ruder. In all likelihood, barring injury Elliott will remain our starting QB and receive the lion's share of the minutes. And he will most likely start at QB next year if Fed returns. I simply have no faith in Fed's ability to recognize that a QB that can't stretch the offense so that the defense has to defend the whole field, is severely limiting your team. I love Elliott but his passing limitations are glaring.

Most of our team returns next year, and that can be construed as either good or bad, depending on your POV. I think it is good news. While we don't have great talent, there is some good talent on this team, certainly enough to be 5-1 at worst. They just need coaching up.

I believe we're a .500 team next year if Fed returns. I do think we'll win a couple more games this year, WCU being the most obvious.

I pray we cut our losses, hire Satterfield and give him a decent amount of experienced talent to start off with. The rebuilding job is going to be hard enough as it is. With the dismal recruiting class we have coming in and the attrition we will have after next season, the new coach would then be starting with an empty cupboard. And that would be unfair to him/her. ;)
Fed won't start Elliott next year as long as Fortin is healthy. He announced that to the world by starting Fortin in the VT game.

elliott might leave...isn’t he close the graduating?

seven wins is a real possibility
Elliott is a 4th year Junior and so may be nearing graduation. His leaving could allow us to keep both Fortin and Ruder, but my guess is that at least one of that pair will not finish more than 2 years in Chapel Hill. They both can't start, and neither may be willing to accept waiting until a 5th year Senior.

Elliott is the smart son of a coach. He might be OK knowing he will be 2nd team, as long as he feels everything has been fair. And Elliott has shown the past game and a half that he ca be an effective P5 QB - not a great one, but effective. I would be very happy with him as the #2 QB.

What I would see as our QB worst case scenario is Fedora signing Bryant, which sends Elliot, Fortin, and Ruder all transferring. Most likely either Fortin or Ruder would stay, but both could decide that Fedora is not stable enough as HC to go along with his desire to bring in a grad transfer QB.

Elliott is a 4th year Junior and so may be nearing graduation. His leaving could allow us to keep both Fortin and Ruder, but my guess is that at least one of that pair will not finish more than 2 years in Chapel Hill. They both can't start, and neither may be willing to accept waiting until a 5th year Senior.

Elliott is the smart son of a coach. He might be OK knowing he will be 2nd team, as long as he feels everything has been fair. And Elliott has shown the past game and a half that he ca be an effective P5 QB - not a great one, but effective. I would be very happy with him as the #2 QB.

What I would see as our QB worst case scenario is Fedora signing Bryant, which sends Elliot, Fortin, and Ruder all transferring. Most likely either Fortin or Ruder would stay, but both could decide that Fedora is not stable enough as HC to go along with his desire to bring in a grad transfer QB.

Even if Bryant comes I doubt that Fortin and Ruder both transfer. One of them has to jump ship first, and once that happens, the door is wide open for the other one to get the job as a RS sophomore. But he's not coming to UNC, I'd bet the a farm that he ends up at Arkansas. Its a perfect fit. Unless he just really wants a chance to beat Clemson...

Even if Bryant comes I doubt that Fortin and Ruder both transfer. One of them has to jump ship first, and once that happens, the door is wide open for the other one to get the job as a RS sophomore. But he's not coming to UNC, I'd bet the a farm that he ends up at Arkansas. Its a perfect fit. Unless he just really wants a chance to beat Clemson...
If he wants to beat Clemson, he better not head to Chapel Hill. Unless we do have a new HC.

I know an Arkansas fan who thinks Bryant is headed there. His brother-in-law lives in Fayetteville and told him that Bryant really likes Chad Morris.

If he wants to beat Clemson, he better not head to Chapel Hill. Unless we do have a new HC.

I know an Arkansas fan who thinks Bryant is headed there. His brother-in-law lives in Fayetteville and told him that Bryant really likes Chad Morris.

I agree but maybe he is arrogant enough to think he's good enough to put the team on his back and beat them. The only reason I mentioned it is because they're on the schedule next year.

I think its Arkansas for sure. They also return their entire offense except for a QB

Yes, 6 or 7 regular season wins. I also hate having Wake and App St (and ecu) on the schedule.

Anyway, I feel about next yr's O almost the same as I felt about this yr, before shoegate. It's all about the QB. This O can be really good next few games and next yr if we have a decent QB. Can Fortin, Ruder, Bryant or Sam Howell be that guy? If so, we can put up tons of points.

D will probably be bad though. Weren't Crawford and Dorn thinking about going pro if they had decent yrs? Them plus Holcomb, Britt and all the seniors on the DL would be too much to overcome.

Regarding Bryant, Arkansas sucks this yr. Are they returning the offensive pieces we return?

Yes, 6 or 7 regular season wins. I also hate having Wake and App St (and ecu) on the schedule.

Anyway, I feel about next yr's O almost the same as I felt about this yr, before shoegate. It's all about the QB. This O can be really good next few games and next yr if we have a decent QB. Can Fortin, Ruder, Bryant or Sam Howell be that guy? If so, we can put up tons of points.

D will probably be bad though. Weren't Crawford and Dorn thinking about going pro if they had decent yrs? Them plus Holcomb, Britt and all the seniors on the DL would be too much to overcome.

Regarding Bryant, Arkansas sucks this yr. Are they returning the offensive pieces we return?
Bielema recruited for old time Big Ten style offense. Most of those guys have had major trouble converting to Chad Morris. But with another Spring, they could be ready. Not to topple Bama, but make a bowl.

Reactions: MWHeels

South Carolina - Loss
Wake - Win
App State - Win (but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a loss)
Mercer - Win
Clemson - Huge Loss
Duke - Loss
Miami - Loss
Virginia - Win
Georgia Tech - Loss, especially since it's on the road
NC State - Loss
Pitt - Win
VT - Loss

5 - 7, and I'm only really confident in the Mercer win.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Bielema recruited for old time Big Ten style offense. Most of those guys have had major trouble converting to Chad Morris. But with another Spring, they could be ready. Not to topple Bama, but make a bowl.

I never understood the Bielema hire at Arkansas. It always seemed like a bad fit. I agree that Morris has the potential to have success there after a couple of recruiting classes.

I never understood the Bielema hire at Arkansas. It always seemed like a bad fit. I agree that Morris has the potential to have success there after a couple of recruiting classes.
Doubly so because Morris is a native Texan. He will recruit a lot of TX talent to Arkansas.

No matter the buyout, Bubba is taking a huge chance if he keeps Fedora. He has to know that the fan base wants him gone. But if he returns, all the people screaming for his head will start to become quiet as apathy will set in. Most will figure if the administration doesn't care about the program, then they are wasting their time investing in it emotionally. That's when empty seats out number filled ones and donations start to dry up. In effect could cost a lot more that Fedora's buyout as the fan base understands that a mediocre program is satisfactory with the powers that be

Bubba better be careful. He’s already completely botched this contract. If he drops the ball again here, his ass won’t be here much longer.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Bubba better be careful. He’s already completely botched this contract. If he drops the ball again here, his ass won’t be here much longer.
Yeah... if Bubba Cunningham was responsible for Fedora getting that insane amount then my respect for, and faith in, Cunningham' and his competence just disappeared.

Yeah... if Bubba Cunningham was responsible for Fedora getting that insane amount then my respect for, and faith in, Cunningham' and his competence just disappeared.
Reread our response to the NCAA and all your faith should reappear.

Reread our response to the NCAA and all your faith should reappear.
I know, that was harsh of me. It's possible he gambled on a "This guy could be Dabo in-the-making" and I don't want to lose him. I still think he was grossly overpaid for the results. Of course, in 2015 he was a helluva lot more popular. The regular season record had all W's but one.

I know, that was harsh of me. It's possible he gambled on a "This guy could be Dabo in-the-making" and I don't want to lose him. I still think he was grossly overpaid for the results. Of course, in 2015 he was a helluva lot more popular. The regular season record had all W's but one.
Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. We were coming off of a historical season for the program, good players were returning, recruiting was solid and other schools were looking at Fed as a possible hire. It wasn't a bad deal at the time. I can't fault him for that. It's still a relatively cheap contract too, it's just the length of the contract that's the problem. That's why I think unless you are someone like Saban, you shouldn't give out a contract longer than 4 years.

South Carolina - Loss
Wake - Win
App State - Win
Mercer - Win
Clemson - Loss
Duke - Loss
Miami - Loss
Virginia - Win
Georgia Tech - Win
NC State - Loss
Pitt - Win
VT - Loss

6 - 6

I’m not sure that is enough for Fedora to be retained again, especially if UNC loses to both Duke and State again.

South Carolina - Loss
Wake - Win
App State - Win
Mercer - Win
Clemson - Loss
Duke - Loss
Miami - Loss
Virginia - Win
Georgia Tech - Win
NC State - Loss
Pitt - Win
VT - Loss

6 - 6

I’m not sure that is enough for Fedora to be retained again, especially if UNC loses to both Duke and State again.
Wow! That is generous!

was in charlotte for hamilton today and i’m trying to decide if i should watch the game or just read these threads while i drink.

btw, @Raising Heel it was incredible if you get a chance.

Love your optimism. Not sure who we could even beat other than WCU (hopefully)

ETA: Im guessing you meant next year. I was thinking the rest of this year.
Yeah referring to next year. The choices of OC and the absolute poor coaching on D is inexcusable for a HC. I like Fedora. I tip my hat to him for taking a job where he knew it would be crap show thanks to the NCAA mess, but this program needs a quick turn around and I just dont see this team getting better. Decent talent, not great, but poorly used on offense and absolutely horrendous defensive play calling and coaching. Differant coaching this team could have been bowl eligible. Low level bowl but still eligible.

Coaching staff the same next year this is how I see it. Hope I am very wrong.
South Carolina - Loss
Wake - loss
App State - toss up
Mercer - Win
Clemson - Loss
Duke - toss up
Miami - Loss
Virginia - loss
Georgia Tech - loss
NC State - Loss
Pitt - loss
VT - win
Hopefully win one of the 2 toss ups
3-9 final record

if LF and the stooges for OC & DC are back I wouldn't bet more than 2-3 wins
Mercer... that's the only good bet. ASU could be like ECU.

The conference games are all losses unless some kind of fluke occurs in the game.

I started looking at the 2016 record, and UNC was just as close to a 6-6 record that year. The games against Pitt, FSU, and Miami were easily lose-able!. Those were flukes that favored UNC.

Yeah referring to next year. The choices of OC and the absolute poor coaching on D is inexcusable for a HC. I like Fedora. I tip my hat to him for taking a job where he knew it would be crap show thanks to the NCAA mess, but this program needs a quick turn around and I just dont see this team getting better. Decent talent, not great, but poorly used on offense and absolutely horrendous defensive play calling and coaching. Differant coaching this team could have been bowl eligible. Low level bowl but still eligible.
You under-estimate the players we have and thus over-estimate Fedora. This team, with the same suspensions, with the right HC would have won the Coastal, rather easily.

Reactions: riverswe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT