ADVERTISEMENT

If Heels win next 6 games...

Agree. Schedule is far too weak even to get close unless the team is 13-0, with impressive wins rather than barely survive wins.
According to fivethirtyeight.com, Heels have a 3% change to make Playoff.

Reactions: blazers
Unfortunately, no. They wouldn't unless every powerhouse has two L's. Even then, probably not.
How about if we concentrate on the Pitt Panthers.
Thank you!

If UNC manages to keep the luck streak going, they'd still probably lose to Clemson in the ACCCG

Beating Pitt will be very difficult. Beating UVa in Charlottesville will be even more difficult. I'm expecting a pretty bad loss to Wake Forest, so that eliminates the fantasy of a CFP show! I'm not sure if UNC will beat GT or NCSU. UNC could lose all six just as easy as they could win them.

That low is because the schedule is so weak. If your schedule is weak, then barely winning is far from good.

Thank you!

If UNC manages to keep the luck streak going, they'd still probably lose to Clemson in the ACCCG

Beating Pitt will be very difficult. Beating UVa in Charlottesville will be even more difficult. I'm expecting a pretty bad loss to Wake Forest, so that eliminates the fantasy of a CFP show! I'm not sure if UNC will beat GT or NCSU. UNC could lose all six just as easy as they could win them.
GT looks motivated to win with the interim HC, who is a GT grad who has been an assistant at Alabama.

The Wuffie D remains a tough nut to crack, but that offense now is in very bad shape.

Mack's history in Charlottesville is poor.

Thank you!

None of the teams you mentioned are anything more than average. Most are pretty bad. WF is the best team we'll play and they aren't as good as their ranking. Anything more than two more losses would be a pretty big failure. I just hope your reverse mojo continues to work.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
None of the teams you mentioned are anything more than average. Most are pretty bad. WF is the best team we'll play and they aren't as good as their ranking. Anything more than two more losses would be a pretty big failure. I just hope your reverse mojo continues to work.
I agree that anything more than two losses would be a failure.

It doesn't matter if the opposition is "average" or not. UNC has barely won most of their games- except for Virginia Tech and FAMU. It's always a shootout, right down to the wire, and luck falls their way. I don't think you can count on luck every week.

I agree that anything more than two losses would be a failure.

It doesn't matter if the opposition is "average" or not. UNC has barely won most of their games- except for Virginia Tech and FAMU. It's always a shootout, right down to the wire, and luck falls their way. I don't think you can count on luck every week.
You're assuming it's luck every time, though.

Thank you!

More of your psychobabble devil’s advocate shit. I’ll bet you that we don’t lose them all. You in?

More of your psychobabble devil’s advocate shit. I’ll bet you that we don’t lose them all. You in?
I said they COULD lose all six. Sorry if that reality bothers you. I don't think UNC will actually lose 5 games in a row. Those are pretty long odds. It is possible, but not likely. However, I do expect at least 2 more losses for sure.

Unfortunately, no. They wouldn't unless every powerhouse has two L's. Even then, probably not.
How about if we concentrate on the Pitt Panthers.

The concentration of anyone here isn’t going to have anything to do with how the team plays against Pitt or any other team.

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of entertaining speculation. It’s all just harmless fun.

dumb-and-dumber-comedy.gif

Clemson still plays Notre and #25 Scar. They'll obviously be a good candidate if they keep winning.

Even if we start playing D (say Conley is honey badger part deux while everyone else hits the roids) and stomp everyone including Clemson then would we be picked over Clemson?

Clemson still plays Notre and #25 Scar. They'll obviously be a good candidate if they keep winning.

Even if we start playing D (say Conley is honey badger part deux while everyone else hits the roids) and stomp everyone including Clemson then would we be picked over Clemson?
ND lost to Stanford.

SoCar looks decent, and hungry for more.

I think a 12-1 ACC Champ UNC could get into the playoffs, as the #4 seed, which likely would lose by 21 or more to whoever is #1.

Reactions: blazers
12-1 UNC would definitely be in the play-offs and deservedly so. If the D could step up bigtime, perhaps it's possible. But we've got a ways to go right now.

For me, the real question is whether or not this team is close enough to get anywhere near that level by next year. I 100% believe Drake Maye is the caliber of QB that can lead a team to a playoff berth, or even a national championship. We need to make something special happen while he is still wearing Carolina Blue. If Chizik can put together a top 20-25 defensive unit next year, there won't be anyone in the ACC outside of Clemson that will be able to hang. Obviously that would require a complete 180 degree turn around on that side of the ball.

Reactions: strummingram
For me, the real question is whether or not this team is close enough to get anywhere near that level by next year. I 100% believe Drake Maye is the caliber of QB that can lead a team to a playoff berth, or even a national championship. We need to make something special happen while he is still wearing Carolina Blue. If Chizik can put together a top 20-25 defensive unit next year, there won't be anyone in the ACC outside of Clemson that will be able to hang. Obviously that would require a complete 180 degree turn around on that side of the ball.
This year is probably our best shot because divisions go away next year. We won't have the easy ride through the coastal anymore. I don't think we'll win out, though.

This year is probably our best shot because divisions go away next year. We won't have the easy ride through the coastal anymore. I don't think we'll win out, though.

That’s probably true but I kinda doubt we’d get put in the playoff anyways. The wins would need to be a lot more convincing and we’d have to hope Notre Dame picks up a quality win or two.

If we win the next two and put a major beating on Wake that might be enough to crack the top 10. That might get us within striking distance at least. That just seems incredibly unlikely given the way the defense has played though.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Right. Ending divisions means that the 2 best teams get matched for the ACC Championship. WE could see a run of Clemson vs. FSU rematches.

But if the program goes get done what should be done, the easier annual slate (UVA, Dook, Moo) could help land UNC among the top 2 occasionally - or more.

For ACC TV money to maximize, then there are 4 teams that must be at least 8 game winners every year, and 2 of the 4 need to meet in the Championship almost every year (at least 1 in the Championship every year). The 4 are: Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC.

You just couldn't get happy about typing that first part, could you?
You are like the earlier dolts who kept assuming that those of us who kept asserting that neither Torbush nor Bunting could get it done were actually anti-UNC people. Is it just because you worship Mr. February?

A 12-1 ACC Champ always should be in a 4 team playoff. But the UNC schedule is so weak, and we have so many unimpressive Ws, that this team could be 12-1, having knocked off 12-0 Clemson, and still not make the cut.

You are like the earlier dolts who kept assuming that those of us who kept asserting that neither Torbush nor Bunting could get it done were actually anti-UNC people. Is it just because you worship Mr. February?

A 12-1 ACC Champ always should be in a 4 team playoff. But the UNC schedule is so weak, and we have so many unimpressive Ws, that this team could be 12-1, having knocked off 12-0 Clemson, and still not make the cut.
I'm a dolt because you spew a bunch of bullshit on here? I've never talked about Bunting/Torbush and never praised the hire of Mack on here. Try again.

Let's talk about those coaches over at Miami and James Madison that you praised were home run hires. Didn't you want Satterfield at UNC?

How upset would you be if they finished 12-1? 5 years removed from a 2-win season.

Right. Ending divisions means that the 2 best teams get matched for the ACC Championship. WE could see a run of Clemson vs. FSU rematches.

But if the program goes get done what should be done, the easier annual slate (UVA, Dook, Moo) could help land UNC among the top 2 occasionally - or more.

For ACC TV money to maximize, then there are 4 teams that must be at least 8 game winners every year, and 2 of the 4 need to meet in the Championship almost every year (at least 1 in the Championship every year). The 4 are: Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC.
We could be one of the best 2 with Drake if the O-line is good, but we have to see the defense come alive. We're playing well below our talent level.

So far this year the Heels are 4-0 in one-score games. In Mack2.0's first 3 seasons, the Heels went 2-6, 2-2, 2-3 in one-score games. While it hasn't always been pretty, my HOPE is that they are figuring out how to close out close games AND that it will continue. We SHOULD beat UVA and GT by double-digits, but it wouldn't surprise me if all five remaining games were decided by 7 or less.

We could be one of the best 2 with Drake if the O-line is good, but we have to see the defense come alive. We're playing well below our talent level.
Exactly. Last year's team should have been in the ACC Championship, and should have then beaten Wake again. But it underachieved badly. This year's team has underachieved overall in losing badly to a weaker ND and in barely beating App and GA ST. It also easily could have lost a couple other games - Miami, and Dook, for example. But now it can win the Coastal, and it should win the Coastal. Failure of the team to win the Coastal is again a bad sign about the coaching staff. WE are not in the SEC West or the BT East. The Coastal is very weak sauce.

Reactions: randman1
Exactly. Last year's team should have been in the ACC Championship, and should have then beaten Wake again. But it underachieved badly. This year's team has underachieved overall in losing badly to a weaker ND and in barely beating App and GA ST. It also easily could have lost a couple other games - Miami, and Dook, for example. But now it can win the Coastal, and it should win the Coastal. Failure of the team to win the Coastal is again a bad sign about the coaching staff. WE are not in the SEC West or the BT East. The Coastal is very weak sauce.
Notre Dame has a more talented roster, if you go by the numbers. Thus, UNC has beaten all the teams on the schedule with inferior rosters, like they're supposed to do. All this "could have easily lost" is nonsense as Texas A&M was one play away from knocking off Bama, Missouri had UGA on the ropes late in the 4th etc. W is a W. Also, Notre Dame has a 14-pt lead on #16 Cuse, on the road.

Reactions: randman1
That plus they held OSU to their lowest point total of the year plus just beat the hell out of Syracuse, something Clemson couldn't do. Also, 3 of those 4 losses by Stanford were to top 18 teams.
Do they still have 3 losses and one of them to a 2-4 Stanford team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT