ADVERTISEMENT

If Heels win next 6 games...

Do they still have 3 losses and one of them to a 2-4 Stanford team?
That plus they held OSU to their lowest point total of the year plus just beat the hell out of Syracuse, something Clemson couldn't do. Also, 3 of those 4 losses by Stanford were to top 18 teams! With another game against a ranked UCLA squad tonight, stay tuned!

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
That plus they held OSU to their lowest point total of the year plus just beat the hell out of Syracuse, something Clemson couldn't do. Also, 3 of those 4 losses by Stanford were to top 18 teams! With another game against a ranked UCLA squad tonight, stay tuned!
ND losing to Stanford only causes more damage to the loss that UNC has on their record. I'm glad they beat Syracuse. We still have almost another half of the season to go.

ND losing to Stanford only causes more damage to the loss that UNC has on their record. I'm glad they beat Syracuse. We still have almost another half of the season to go.
If Stanford had losses to VMI, North Texas etc, sure. It's not as big of a knock when you see they lost 3 games to ranked teams. Yes sir, still a lot of games to be played to get to my 9-win predicted win total for the year. Almost there.

Reactions: tarheel0910
If Stanford had losses to VMI, North Texas etc, sure. It's not as big of a knock when you see they lost 3 games to ranked teams. Yes sir, still a lot of games to be played to get to my 9-win predicted win total for the year. Almost there.
I hope they win every game they have left.

I know RPI isn't really used in football, but Stanford is ranked #70. Not horrible, but not good either. ND is #39.

One of the stages to becoming a dominant football program is you consistently learn how to win close games and beat all the teams less talented than you. Of course, that's never 100% but we look like we're learning that lesson. Of course, perhaps we've been a bit lucky as well.

Another, of course, is recruiting.

Beating Pitt convinced me we've crossed a threshold. Some of the other games, we easily could have lost, but we came out of playing poorly in the game and behind, and then turned a switch and became dominant.

Hope we keep it up.

ACC sucks. Cuse loses to Notre. Wake loses to Louisville.

It would help our case if there were lots of ranked ACC teams, but noooo

ACC sucks. Cuse loses to Notre. Wake loses to Louisville.

It would help our case if there were lots of ranked ACC teams, but noooo
Both those teams are overrated. They were beneficiaries of a week schedule and in the case of WF, getting to start the season ranked.

ETA: Clemson is probably the only team that has earned it's ranking. Even we are ranked too high.

Reactions: strummingram
Both those teams are overrated. They were beneficiaries of a week schedule and in the case of WF, getting to start the season ranked.

ETA: Clemson is probably the only team that has earned it's ranking. Even we are ranked too high.

I'm not even sure Clemson is one of the best ten teams in college football this year. If they run the table and beat us in the ACCCG then they deserve to be in the playoff based on their resume. But I definitely don't think they could handle UGA, Bama or Tennessee, and tOSU would run all over them.

I'm not even sure Clemson is one of the best ten teams in college football this year. If they run the table and beat us in the ACCCG then they deserve to be in the playoff based on their resume. But I definitely don't think they could handle UGA, Bama or Tennessee, and tOSU would run all over them.
It's possible they are somewhat over ranked, but their history and coaching gets them the benefit of the doubt. I've got no problem with that. We benefit from it all the time in basketball.

It's possible they are somewhat over ranked, but their history and coaching gets them the benefit of the doubt. I've got no problem with that. We benefit from it all the time in basketball.

Oh I agree with that. But I think they would be likely to get flatlined in the first round if it weren’t for the fact that they’re going to lose the ACCCG

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Clemson doesn't have an explosive offense, but their defense (if healthy) is capable of keeping them in a lot of games imo. Can they stop those top two or three? Not sure. I think they're more likely to hang with them than most everyone else though.

I don't have a prob when we benefit from that, but it is a crime against humanity when coach K did.

This year is probably our best shot because divisions go away next year. We won't have the easy ride through the coastal anymore. I don't think we'll win out, though.
I think the "weak coastal" gets overused. Now, before I go any further I will absolutely say that it applies this season. The coastal is god-awful.

But, in years prior. Not so much. While it's true that the coastal never had an alpha dog like Clemson, it's also true that the Atlantic had the 2 to 3 worst teams in the conference which allowed the other Atlantic teams to get 2 free wins on their resume.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I think the "weak coastal" gets overused. Now, before I go any further I will absolutely say that it applies this season. The coastal is god-awful.

But, in years prior. Not so much. While it's true that the coastal never had an alpha dog like Clemson, it's also true that the Atlantic had the 2 to 3 worst teams in the conference which allowed the other Atlantic teams to get 2 free wins on their resume.
This is 100% true. You hear this a lot from State fans. If you go back about the last 10 years, State's winning% against the Coastal is nearly identical to their winning % against the Atlantic. Tough being in the same division as Clemson, no doubt, but for a while there the Coastal was competitive from top to bottom. Of course, next year, none of it matters.

Last edited:
In the long run what is acceptable for us?

Where do we want to be in football and where do we think we can get?

I don't see us ever being an every year top 5 or 10 team, possibly top 20 team every year is doable!

Everytime I have ever gotten excited about what's going on with football I have been let down!

Clemson's loss to Notre Dame should be interpreted more realistically. Notre Dame is actually a very good team when they play well; hence the preseason high ranking.

They just laid a few eggs but if they get their game on, they have the talent and showed a lot more discipline when they played us.

Down the stretch, if it weren't for those bad losses, they could be a team that would beat half or more top ten teams, albeit not GA and Ohio State.

Also, Clemson always has at least one bad game where they even almost lose to someone in a game Clemson should totally dominate, but they almost always win.

Lots of games left to play. If we got our act together and fielded an impressive defense, won out, yeah, we could be in the CFP, most likely to be stomped by GA. Same with Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT