ADVERTISEMENT

If Thig as co-DC and Bly as DB coach make sense

I'm afraid we have a cluster fork in the making. If we do indeed hire Robinson as DC/Co DC, i will be very disappointed. We all knew that the success of Mack was going to hinge on the hiring of a great OC and a great DC. If that doesn't happen, we're better off than we were, but not by much.

Mack was brought in to rebuild the good will between UNC and NC high school coaches. He will do that, I've no doubt. But his success will hinge on his ability to hire a young, aggressive staff that can recruit and develop our recruits. If he hires a mediocre staff, we're in trouble.

Robinson is no longer being considered

Reactions: tarheel0910
Remember Bly wasn't just a great college CB, he was really good in the NFL. I'm guessing he can draw from the coaching he received in the NFL as well and probably has some good contacts outside of Carolina to get pointers from. I understand the concern but I think he has a good chance to be successful.

Being able to do and teaching someone how to do are not the same. The lack of recruiting experience is even more of a problem.
We will have to throw a pot load of money to any DC to come in to manage a ready made staff.
That was really the point of Robinson. He could teach Thig how t do the job he wasn't qualified for. I'm not sure who is supposed to teach Bly how to do his.

I didn't say it was the same, hence why I said there will be a learning curve. His experience of being an elite CB sure as hell doesn't hurt. He knows the Charlotte area very well, which is a recruiting hotbed. It's not like we have a first time recruiter out there hitting the streets, that's why they hired Brewster. They bumped Thig up to make him happy and stay as they need him for recruiting as well.

There is no evidence that Bly can do more than talk about being an All American and All Pro.[/QUOTE]

no, the evidence is that the coaches with experience that you want are the one's who talk about being an all pro, they never did it.
bly walked the walk.

Reactions: Mistercvr4
I like the Bly hire. One, he's a vested TarHeel. All-American, Superbowl Champion, 2x NFL all star, and all pro. He's a position coach, I'm more than confident he can teach coverage schemes for the game plan, and fundamentals, as well as some "tricks of the trade" elite cornerbacks use. He's played enough ball, I wouldn't worry about Dre being able to teach his position at a high level.
The recruiting aspect: It will sell.. No brainer. I can tell you right now ( a certain moo recruit) all ready said "impressive". So, if I'm a 4* recruit, and In my door walk a national championship coach, followed by Bly (add previous creditials). Heads turn... There's simply nothing you can ask him about the cb position that he not only can tell you about, he can tell you how he did it. Not only the on field, but off the field in study and workouts... Home run hire in my book

Last edited:
With the new staff I kinda feel that recruiting is more important than X&O's, and i think there is confidence that he'll be able to recruit, so i'm okay with it at first.

But I highly doubt he could coach both safeties as well as cornerbacks which could be a detriment depending on staff needs overall. Some coaches have both - Charlton Warren, Mel Tucker, etc.

I've heard he coaches Sam Howell's 7-on-7 team or his baseball team or something.

Last edited:
Ask yourself this and answer honestly.

Would you rather have Mack or Doeren as your HC?

At this point in time, I’d rather have Coach Doeren. With that being said, if it was 2005, I’d rather have Mack. If it was 1995, I’d rather have Tom Osborne. If it was 1985, I’d rather have Jimmy Johnson.

At this point in time, I’d rather have Coach Doeren. With that being said, if it was 2005, I’d rather have Mack. If it was 1995, I’d rather have Tom Osborne. If it was 1985, I’d rather have Jimmy Johnson.
Coach Doeren? LOL. Didn't know you were on the team.

Reactions: uncboy10
What is Dave Doren best win since he has been at state...Louisville last year at home...A 8-5 team at that...

Lol. I hope Doeren is your coach forever

I do too.

For all of the hoopla surrounding Mack’s return, he did not win an ACC football championship at UNC. The ACC is drastically different than when he left it 21 years ago. There were only nine teams, no divisions, and no conference championship game. His high school connections in North Carolina are long gone, most of those coaches have retired. Most of the high school recruits have never heard of Mack Brown. They weren’t even alive when he coached at UNC, and they were in kindergarten when Vince Young won the national championship against USC.

I do too.

For all of the hoopla surrounding Mack’s return, he did not win an ACC football championship at UNC. The ACC is drastically different than when he left it 21 years ago. There were only nine teams, no divisions, and no conference championship game. His high school connections in North Carolina are long gone, most of those coaches have retired. Most of the high school recruits have never heard of Mack Brown. They weren’t even alive when he coached at UNC, and they were in kindergarten when Vince Young won the national championship against USC.
Lol

Duhren is at his peak now. He's one bad QB away from being a 2 win team. Hope he's at State for a long time.

Time will tell LVP. I will admit that you seem to keep finding QBs but as long as you measure success simply by beating us you will never be successful. We're down now but our goals are higher. I'm not concerned with State as long as Duhren is the coach.

I think it is fascinating to read people's posts who say they don't care if the coaches can develop players. That is hilarious. Recruiting is very important but no more so than teaching them to play the game. Guys coming out of high school don't have a clue as to how to play major college football. Dre Bly doesn't have alot of coaching experience but he knows how to play corner at an elite level. He was a shut down corner at UNC and in the NFL. I am guessing he may have a pointer or two to pass on to our players. Once again I choose to be positive.

Reactions: Archer2 and shun1
I will admit that you seem to keep finding QBs but as long as you measure success simply by beating us you will never be successful.

I certainly don’t measure success by beating UNC in football, nor do most of the Wolfpack fans I know. We’ve won nine of the last twelve. Winning games you’re expected to win is nothing special. Closing the gap with Clemson in the Atlantic Division is the most important thing for our program at this time. We have made significant progress in recruiting, and although they beat us soundly this year, the 2016 and 2017 games were decided by one play.

I certainly don’t measure success by beating UNC in football, nor do most of the Wolfpack fans I know. We’ve won nine of the last twelve. Winning games you’re expected to win is nothing special. Closing the gap with Clemson in the Atlantic Division is the most important thing for our program at this time. We have made significant progress in recruiting, and although they beat us soundly this year, the 2016 and 2017 games were decided by one play.
Oh my soul! You got me laughing real good with this one. Clemson's program is light-years better than moo's. Other teams came close or even beat them during the regular season over the past few years, nobody is ready to claim those programs are closing the gap.

I didn’t see him post anything on this thread that warranted being tossed. His posts were respectful and true for the most part.
He took multiple shots at unc. It was obvious the guy was trolling. It doesn't matter if he was being a respectful troll. It also doesn't help he's a moo fan.

He took multiple shots at unc. It was obvious the guy was trolling. It doesn't matter if he was being a respectful troll. It also doesn't help he's a moo fan.
I liked him here because he admitted he would take Dave over Mack. This board needs an injection.

Hell, he’s less controversial than most of our unc posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT