ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sharpe returning?

imajericho

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Pittsburgh
He is a fringe first round pick by most projections. He also has dropped out of the combine completely and is not doing any team interviews now. It's very unlikely a team has guaranteed him a selection. Also, even if one did exist it would be so late in the 1st round that there would be no incentive to not try and push into the lottery.

Thoughts?

I thought it was very strange as well. The most common 1st round prediction I've been reading is Philly at 28 or so.

My guess is that he found a fit with a team from his individual workouts that he and his team prefer and that team has given their "guarantee" if he is still on the board at that pick he is their man. That is usually why it is skipped, to avoid a less desirable destination from snagging him.

He also put out a tweet or Instagram the day before he opted out saying "it begins now with the combine" and the 💰 after. So the announcement to skip threw me off even more when I read it.

I thought it was very strange as well. The most common 1st round prediction I've been reading is Philly at 28 or so.

My guess is that he found a fit with a team from his individual workouts that he and his team prefer and that team has given their "guarantee" if he is still on the board at that pick he is their man. That is usually why it is skipped, to avoid a less desirable destination from snagging him.

He also put out a tweet or Instagram the day before he opted out saying "it begins now with the combine" and the 💰 after. So the announcement to skip threw me off even more when I read it.
Yea, I think that makes the most sense, some team must have gave him that guarantee. Because even if you dont think your a first round pick, wouldn't dropping out of everything be a pretty bad look?

I thought it was very strange as well. The most common 1st round prediction I've

been reading is Philly at 28 or so.

Why would he not maximize his potential future earnings and give a look to all the teams that need a big? A guarantee in the second round is nothing to wait for. Neither is a late first round pick (imo)...

Reactions: DSouthr
Why would he not maximize his potential future earnings and give a look to all the teams that need a big? A guarantee in the second round is nothing to wait for. Neither is a late first round pick (imo)...
Even if he has a "guarantee", it would still be smart to go thru the complete process if for no other reason than to make sure you have a solid back up plan in place. Not having a back up plan is a guarantee of having exposure to risk, why would you do that if you didn't have to?

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
Even if he has a "guarantee", it would still be smart to go thru the complete process if for no other reason than to make sure you have a solid back up plan in place. Not having a back up plan is a guarantee of having exposure to risk, why would you do that if you didn't have to?
fit is more important than draft position when it comes to CAREER earnings potential. that second contract in year 4/5 is where people make their money. it's better to go to a team where you can contribute right away, get exposure, and have a team throw money at you in free agency rather than going to a bad team. someone mentioned philly which would be a great fit where he could probably replace dwight howard as the big man off the bench for embiid

he could slip on a wet floor during a workout and blow out his knee. if you have a guarantee your work is done at that point and anything else between now and after you sign your contract is literally a multi-million dollar risk. if he didnt get feedback from probably several teams that hes getting picked in the first round if he's still on the board he wouldnt be pulling his name out

If he is a possible 10-15 instead of 25-30 oe 2nd round it is not worth it, those locked in for 1st round rarely do it. He could also go round 2. If he got a sit it out guarantee it is for the 1st round. The team offering him likes him, but it is not a slam dunk no brainer. The spot fits Sharpe for them and they commit. The combine is just measurement and times really. Each team who invited him for individual workouts already did all that plus skill, open run, 3 on 3, interviews, etc. The feedback he got from those determines if it makes sense for both parties.

If a team liked what they saw and heard, and he fits where they are choosing both parties can benefit. The player is assured the 1st round, if he is still there when their pick is up, he isn't head and shoulders above others they had also are considered, that team will not be swayed and interview others from the combine. The team just has to hope the other teams he worked out for who pick before him don't pull the trigger first. Or they get their man at that spot.

He may have multiple teams showing real interest, the one/ones who guarantees are keeping fingers crossed. He is assured at least the spot he is comfortable with.

It can also be a ploy sending interested teams the message, hey he won't be around in round 2, better act or someone has a deal in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
If he is a possible 10-15 instead of 25-30 oe 2nd round it is not worth it, those locked in for 1st round rarely do it. He could also go round 2. If he got a sit it out guarantee it is for the 1st round. The team offering him likes him, but it is not a slam dunk no brainer. The spot fits Sharpe for them and they commit. The combine is just measurement and times really. Each team who invited him for individual workouts already did all that plus skill, open run, 3 on 3, interviews, etc. The feedback he got from those determines if it makes sense for both parties.

If a team liked what they saw and heard, and he fits where they are choosing both parties can benefit. The player is assured the 1st round, if he is still there when their pick is up, he isn't head and shoulders above others they had also are considered, that team will not be swayed and interview others from the combine. The team just has to hope the other teams he worked out for who pick before him don't pull the trigger first. Or they get their man at that spot.

He may have multiple teams showing real interest, the one/ones who guarantees are keeping fingers crossed. He is assured at least the spot he is comfortable with.
Or thinking they can dangle him as trade bait to a team they know wants him but want to stay under the radar about how much.

He signed with an agent not authorized by the NCAA. He couldn’t come back even if he wanted to, and he doesn’t.
Could all be a ploy (agent) as I added to my initial comment, to create a sense of urgency for those hoping he would slide to the 2nd round to act.

As it is said David, "a lack of a plan is a plan".

Reactions: TheGLOV
Didn't Tony Bradley have the same thing. Utah guaranteed him, so he didnt work out. You get a team that says you are going first round, why risk it.

Didn't Tony Bradley have the same thing. Utah guaranteed him, so he didnt work out. You get a team that says you are going first round, why risk it.
Yep.

If a guy gets the first round guarantee, I will never fault them for staying in the draft. Tony got a lot of heat here for leaving early but he only stayed in the draft because he got that guarantee, which is also a guarantee of millions that will completely change you and your families life. I love the guys that come back despite that and bet on themselves, but will never fault a guy who isn't willing to risk that for his family.

Yep.

If a guy gets the first round guarantee, I will never fault them for staying in the draft. Tony got a lot of heat here for leaving early but he only stayed in the draft because he got that guarantee, which is also a guarantee of millions that will completely change you and your families life. I love the guys that come back despite that and bet on themselves, but will never fault a guy who isn't willing to risk that for his family.
Tony declared as soon as the plane landed from the chip game. Was the fastest i ever remember

And that guarantee leading to a contract puts the player in a better position for future contracts.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Yep.

This is a bigger discussion than just Tony Bradley and Day'Ron Sharpe, but when this debate always comes up, people always say that very thing. "Yada, yada, yada, something about risk, yada, yada, yada." Just so I'm clear, what is the risk again? Injury? I believe that's what people usually cite. I'm just curious, but who was the last player who was on track to be a multimillionaire, went back to school, got injured and then failed to become a multimillionaire in the NBA? I'm not trying to start a big debate about it. I'm not trying to change kids' minds about leaving. But for "injury" to be what everyone cites as the reason to leave, I sure can't think of many situations where this ever so popular rationale has played out to the worst case scenario.

Reactions: ChapelHeeled
This is a bigger discussion than just Tony Bradley and Day'Ron Sharpe, but when this debate always comes up, people always say that very thing. "Yada, yada, yada, something about risk, yada, yada, yada." Just so I'm clear, what is the risk again? Injury? I believe that's what people usually cite. I'm just curious, but who was the last player who was on track to be a multimillionaire, went back to school, got injured and then failed to become a multimillionaire in the NBA? I'm not trying to start a big debate about it. I'm not trying to change kids' minds about leaving. But for "injury" to be what everyone cites as the reason to leave, I sure can't think of many situations where this ever so popular rationale has played out to the worst case scenario.
When I say risk, injury is certainly one of them if not the top one. As you said though, that is definitely rare.

But what happens more often than not, is guys slip down draft boards the longer they are in college. Hell, James Michael McAdoo would have been a lotto pick if he could have skipped college. Jarius Hamilton is a guy who was on draft boards after his freshman year now he's no where. Ray Spalding was a first round pick after freshman season but fell to 2nd round after his junior season. Jaylen Hands fell into the 2nd when he was a first round projection the year earlier. I think Tre Jones was a first rounder after his freshman season if I remember correctly. He fell to the 2nd. Ashton Hagans.

Now, were these kids who would have flamed out in the NBA anyway? Sure. But that first round guaranteed salary they can't take away no matter how bad you are. Many times that takes families out of poverty and it's hard to argue with a kid who just isn't willing to turn that down.

When I say risk, injury is certainly one of them if not the top one. As you said though, that is definitely rare.

But what happens more often than not, is guys slip down draft boards the longer they are in college. Hell, James Michael McAdoo would have been a lotto pick if he could have skipped college. Jarius Hamilton is a guy who was on draft boards after his freshman year now he's no where. Ray Spalding was a first round pick after freshman season but fell to 2nd round after his junior season. Jaylen Hands fell into the 2nd when he was a first round projection the year earlier. I think Tre Jones was a first rounder after his freshman season if I remember correctly. He fell to the 2nd. Ashton Hagans.

Now, were these kids who would have flamed out in the NBA anyway? Sure. But that first round guaranteed salary they can't take away no matter how bad you are. Many times that takes families out of poverty and it's hard to argue with a kid who just isn't willing to turn that down.

Thank you. That is solid rationale and I’m sure you’re correct in your belief that many kids fear that scenario. Which speaks to an interesting thought I had when reading it - for as much as these kids publicly act like they’re the shit, it appears they don’t even believe in their own capabilities. Now, I’m sure most of these kids just don’t want to be in school anyway so it makes their choice easy. But it also appears that these kids would rather take the fast money, despite the “risk” that jumping early could potentially inhibit their ability to make more money in the long run while also getting to enjoy a traditional college-athlete experience.

Kids and young adults are just built differently these days. I can’t imagine Antawn Jamison leaving after one year and attributing his early defection to not wanting to fall in the draft. If you recall, kids used to stay for the opportunity to climb in the draft. There was definitely a different mindset to players of yesteryear.

Apparently Day'ron didn't go to class after declaring and sold UNC apparel for money upon doing so. Wouldn't even be eligible if he came back. So, yeah, he is not returning.

Thank you. That is solid rationale and I’m sure you’re correct in your belief that many kids fear that scenario. Which speaks to an interesting thought I had when reading it - for as much as these kids publicly act like they’re the shit, it appears they don’t even believe in their own capabilities. Now, I’m sure most of these kids just don’t want to be in school anyway so it makes their choice easy. But it also appears that these kids would rather take the fast money, despite the “risk” that jumping early could potentially inhibit their ability to make more money in the long run while also getting to enjoy a traditional college-athlete experience.

Kids and young adults are just built differently these days. I can’t imagine Antawn Jamison leaving after one year and attributing his early defection to not wanting to fall in the draft. If you recall, kids used to stay for the opportunity to climb in the draft. There was definitely a different mindset to players of yesteryear.
Yeah, it definitely says something about the kid/people around him if they choose to bet on themselves.

But also something to think about, the kid has a ton of people in his ear...most of them not looking out for his best interests. That includes NBA scouts. They want as many kids in the draft as possible, even ones they don't like so the ones they do like will slip down to them.

Imagine you're a 19 year old kid and an NBA scout says "oh man we love you, we're gonna take you in the first round and build this team around you." Hard to say no there.

Also one other thing...some kids just don't like college. It happens. The coursework is too difficult, they could hate their coaches, they could hate their teammates. Lots of different factors. One of the negatives for the kid is that you're never going to be a legend at your school if you leave after 1 season.

Also one other thing...some kids just don't like college. It happens. The coursework is too difficult, they could hate their coaches, they could hate their teammates. Lots of different factors. One of the negatives for the kid is that you're never going to be a legend at your school if you leave after 1 season.
That is usually the case, with a few exceptions. Anthony Davis is recognized among the Kentucky legends, and Carmello Anthony is arguably the top legend in Syracuse history. Lead your team to the Natty, and your legendary status at that school is secured.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT