ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason stuff...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...since things seem to be quiet on here --- too quiet --- here are some preseason notes to hopefully wake everyone up:

- if there hasn't been much "noise" coming out of practices, that is by design... the whole atmosphere this season is meant to be pretty much the opposite of last season (that's a very good thing, BTW)

- speaking of last season, if you think that team started believing their own press clippings and got caught up in NIL, welp, you would be correct

- regardless of what you thought of the roster changes, they have already succeeded in facilitating some very real and noticeable chemistry --- something that was almost totally absent last season

- the five transfers have fit well and (barring injury) are all gonna play. They also give us a very versatile roster that can be deployed in a variety of lineups

OK...... I have refrained from posting much as to our on-court approach this season, largely because I (and those I talk to close to the program) have been in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. Sure, there were indicators over the summer practices that things will change for the better, but I an't getting burned again, IYKWIM. With that said...

- I am now (happily) confident to report that this approach will look almost nothing like we've seen in Hubert's young tenure. Even though early camp is always about Shell drills, system basics and muscle-memory, what you may have seen in the Media Day practice vids has been the theme throughout --- transition, transition and more transition (!!!), with Hubert channeling Roy admonishing everyone to go faster.

- they haven't gotten to the point of installing defensive nuance beyond basic 20, but at least on the offensive end we can look forward to some actual Carolina basketball

- I'm also pretty confident in saying the days of the short bench should be (thankfully) over. We've easily got 10-11 guys who are showing themselves worthy of PT, and hell, you can't run that pace without depth

- all the returners have improved and Washington is healthy for the first time. Mando has dropped some bad weight and is very self-aware about taking the next step and taking care of his body. RJ should put up some excellent shooting pct #s. Seth has looked more confident.

- Ryan has assumed a leadership role and brings an "edge" to the table. Ingram does many things "right". Withers is a match-up problem. Wojcik has been better than expected and don't sleep on Okonwo as a rim-protector with an edge who actually has some potential offensive up-side.

- High is looking at a long pecking order at the 4-5 this season but he doesn't lack for confidence.

- Hubert is purposely putting Cadeau through the gauntlet, pitting him against the most experienced and mature guys early on (much like Dean did with Phil as a frosh), and his teammates are still learning (sometimes the hard way) that there ain't no place he can't fit a pass into, but make no mistake --- he will be the difference-maker between being a solid NCAA team and having championship potential.

Anyway... just a little pick-me-up primer as things get closer to getting real...... :cool:

...since things seem to be quiet on here --- too quiet --- here are some preseason notes to hopefully wake everyone up:

- if there hasn't been much "noise" coming out of practices, that is by design... the whole atmosphere this season is meant to be pretty much the opposite of last season (that's a very good thing, BTW)

- speaking of last season, if you think that team started believing their own press clippings and got caught up in NIL, welp, you would be correct

- regardless of what you thought of the roster changes, they have already succeeded in facilitating some very real and noticeable chemistry --- something that was almost totally absent last season

- the five transfers have fit well and (barring injury) are all gonna play. They also give us a very versatile roster that can be deployed in a variety of lineups

OK...... I have refrained from posting much as to our on-court approach this season, largely because I (and those I talk to close to the program) have been in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. Sure, there were indicators over the summer practices that things will change for the better, but I an't getting burned again, IYKWIM. With that said...

- I am now (happily) confident to report that this approach will look almost nothing like we've seen in Hubert's young tenure. Even though early camp is always about Shell drills, system basics and muscle-memory, what you may have seen in the Media Day practice vids has been the theme throughout --- transition, transition and more transition (!!!), with Hubert channeling Roy admonishing everyone to go faster.

- they haven't gotten to the point of installing defensive nuance beyond basic 20, but at least on the offensive end we can look forward to some actual Carolina basketball

- I'm also pretty confident in saying the days of the short bench should be (thankfully) over. We've easily got 10-11 guys who are showing themselves worthy of PT, and hell, you can't run that pace without depth

- all the returners have improved and Washington is healthy for the first time. Mando has dropped some bad weight and is very self-aware about taking the next step and taking care of his body. RJ should put up some excellent shooting pct #s. Seth has looked more confident.

- Ryan has assumed a leadership role and brings an "edge" to the table. Ingram does many things "right". Withers is a match-up problem. Wojcik has been better than expected and don't sleep on Okonwo as a rim-protector with an edge who actually has some potential offensive up-side.

- High is looking at a long pecking order at the 4-5 this season but he doesn't lack for confidence.

- Hubert is purposely putting Cadeau through the gauntlet, pitting him against the most experienced and mature guys early on (much like Dean did with Phil as a frosh), and his teammates are still learning (sometimes the hard way) that there ain't no place he can't fit a pass into, but make no mistake --- he will be the difference-maker between being a solid NCAA team and having championship potential.

Anyway... just a little pick-me-up primer as things get closer to getting real...... :cool:

Thanks gary, I love your intel

Thanks for the wakeup call because this team has all the makings of something special! I am glad also that someone seems willing to look forward instead of being mired in the past! I see a team built almost perfectly to be versatile, deep, athletic, very fast, high character, who love each other and take pride in their jobs! Hubs has created a top-notch staff and has proven throughout his entire basketball life that he constantly reflects, works hard, adjusts, innovates, and wins! I can't wait to see these guys demoralizing peeps by playing at warp speed; sending in waves of peeps; and frustrating opponents by making scoring such hard work. What do you do when you are getting a little tired and UNC subs in a guy who plays just as hard and well but brings something different to the table? One example: What do you do with an extremely motivated Bacot who is surrounded by shooters, scorers, and leaders???

GDTBATH!

Really hope you are correct but I am still in the "believe it when I see it" camp. I understand it is a small sample size but Hubert has yet to show he is playing the bench or wanting to push transition. Realistically Hubert is a likely phenomenal 6-game stretch from likely being on the hot seat. He has shown he can use the portal but has not shown he can develop players and the recruiting down I-40 has not seen any drop.

Really hope you are correct but I am still in the "believe it when I see it" camp. I understand it is a small sample size but Hubert has yet to show he is playing the bench or wanting to push transition. Realistically Hubert is a likely phenomenal 6-game stretch from likely being on the hot seat. He has shown he can use the portal but has not shown he can develop players and the recruiting down I-40 has not seen any drop.
well... if we're not going to push transition then I'm not sure what the point of the stuff we've been running in every practice has been... that is, unless Hubert's just trying to get himself in shape running up and down the court like a crazy man yelling to "go faster"...

Hubs used the bench when he had the peeps on it he could trust! Hubs tried to play fast and the team proved to inefficient so he pivoted and started running set plays. His solution to revamp the entire team with, athletes, shooters, high IQ dudes, and versatile peeps seems to indicate he is trying to get exactly where we want him to! His practices look eerily similar to what we are used to as well so there is NO reason to be pessimistic. Let the past go and enjoy now!

Excited to see how the team plays this season. There's a mystery to them that they didn't have last year. I'm in the "I'll believe when I see it" but there are certainly routes to a big time season.

BartTorvik recently came out with their season projections and has UNC ranked #13, which I think is pretty accurate. However, it projects Cadeau averaging 6.1 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 2.1 APG, lol. Hopefully he's a little more productive than that.

Reactions: gary-7
Excited to see how the team plays this season. There's a mystery to them that they didn't have last year. I'm in the "I'll believe when I see it" but there are certainly routes to a big time season.

BartTorvik recently came out with their season projections and has UNC ranked #13, which I think is pretty accurate. However, it projects Cadeau averaging 6.1 PPG, 2.0 RPG, 2.1 APG, lol. Hopefully he's a little more productive than that.
Yes. If those are his numbers then a) he ain't playing enough, and b) we will underachieve.

Reactions: Oak ridger
Not really a lot to add, in regards to Bartovik, that may be a bit high for us to begin the season at 13, based on last season I would expect us to be in the later tens to start the season BUT if this team stays healthy I think we have final 4 talent. It is more than just the talent level that has me thinking final 4, this is a extremely experienced group of upper classmen and they have bonded together much closer already than last season's team did and "some" may say more so than we have seen in the last several years. Very good signs, so if Bartovik says we are a #13 team to end the season, I will strongly disagree.

Right now Seth and Withers are slightly dinged, should be fine in a couple days. I thought Cadeau's interview during media day was interesting, when asked about the guards we have, first name he went to was Seth's. What that means is Seth has been checking Cadeau a lot, his welcome to college young man moment! Right now, in what may surprise some, Cadeau is running with the 2's, RJ is running the point with the 1s, Hubert is making Cadeau earn it to get that starting spot, that is coaching and good on ya Hubert! Fully expect Cadeau starts game 1 but for now he is being coached.

The kinda sorta surprises, First, Seth is taking and hitting jump shots, still not has strength but not nearly as weak as it was last season, worked with Lebo all off season to get his stroke solid and it is showing now. There is a real yet muted excitement level around Jalen, don't be shocked if he ends up starting at the 4, we could see a major break out from him. The real surprise seems to be that Paxon brings us way more than we expected. He has shown shooting chops to the level he has as green a light as RJ and Ryan and the kid is a all around player, not just a designated sniper, Hubert will actively look for minutes for this kid. Konkwo is a surprise, look for him to become Bacot's primary back up, maybe not to begin the season but at some point. The over all tone seems to believe that this UNC front court may be one of the best in the country with Withers, Ingram, Jalen, Bacot, Konkwo, and High.

WE are going back to playing tempo, rip and run guys, it is no longer a question if we will and that goes along with Hubert's bench is going to be used extra deep and may not even shorten for post season and I hope it doesn't. There is a completely different attitude from this team heading toward the season from the last 2 off seasons. They are not talking much, they are not seeking out the spotlight, they are SERIOUS and committed to showing absolutely that last season will not be repeated, this team is pissed off and now they are looking for blood, they do NOT like the "soft" label that has been put on them, they are looking to do something about that!

I like the good vibes for the depth and tempo, and really like the Jalen optimism. Should be interesting how it shakes out.

Shockingly, I am feeling quite optimistic about this team! I will not jump ship once we lose a headscratcher or two early on AND I will laugh in the face of peeps who do! Once this team finds its rhythm and we reinstate the Blue/White subbing in waves again, this will become something special. Win/Lose/Draw matters not nearly as much as seeing some real UNC ball again and proving those who judged way too early that they were wrong about Hubs! Washington's mental and physical health +Seth's confidence, shooting, and improved decision making were the biggest question marks to me, and all of these are trending in the proper direction. Hubs expanding his bench, playing faster and utilizing the 2ndary more seem to be as well! I'm ready to ride this coaster to the FF and I expect it to be a very interesting ride!

Nice! Sounds like every player on the roster got better and we have an unstoppable attitude... Sounds like the offseason/preseason to me! lol.

Shockingly, I am feeling quite optimistic about this team! I will not jump ship once we lose a headscratcher or two early on AND I will laugh in the face of peeps who do! Once this team finds its rhythm and we reinstate the Blue/White subbing in waves again, this will become something special. Win/Lose/Draw matters not nearly as much as seeing some real UNC ball again and proving those who judged way too early that they were wrong about Hubs! Washington's mental and physical health +Seth's confidence, shooting, and improved decision making were the biggest question marks to me, and all of these are trending in the proper direction. Hubs expanding his bench, playing faster and utilizing the 2ndary more seem to be as well! I'm ready to ride this coaster to the FF and I expect it to be a very interesting ride!
First, mega thanks for your "jump ship" at the first head scratching loss, in fact I almost said something very similar in my above post but elected to save that for another post. As ALWAYS happens with us, there will be a loss or 2, hopefully no more than that, early as this team is coming together. We do have a LOT of new moving parts and what clearly now looks like a new and very much needed change in our offensive attack. That could take a minute to get solid, this team should continue to grow all season but at some point the maturity of these seasoned kids will show up and when it does telling ya, watch out! Think in terms of how long in the season it took Brady Manic to get going but once he did...

Second, I have been hard on Hubert's performance last season and I stand by every word I said, it was awful and I called it just that. But I as well shared that I really needed to see some things change and that I would keep my fire Hubert gun powder dry to see how much he himself learned and matured as a coach. I said there are some specific things I needed to see from Hubert for me to be able to have faith in him as a coach. The 2 main cogs of what I needed to see was our going back to our UNC fast breaking and Hubert going deep in to a very talented bench. Well of course we have not actually been able to see that yet because they have not played a game but the practice that we watched, the proof was there and every player interviewed for media day echoed the same thing, the UNC running game is back. And it isn't rocket science to realize that if you are going back to the running gamer and high tempo that you have no choice but to go deep in to your bench. So BOTH of my major concerns seem to have now been answered in the very way I had hoped to see. I do hope Hubert addresses our defensive approach as well, if you are going to tempo on the offensive end why not do the same on the defensive end by bringing stifling pressure. WE will have to wait and see how that shakes out but so far I am very pleased at what I see!

Oh and as a complete aside, how much would Mack Brown love to have Harrison Ingram on the football team, imagine that kid as a TE, kid is a grown arse man LOL!

• Love
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Exited to see the new team, yes. But just as excited to move on from last year!
While yeah, I do try to gin up some level of positivity going in to the season, some times it is harder than other, last season It felt like I was spinning more positive pre-season feeling than really believing it. Even coming off that season where we played in the natty game, I just did not trust our back court, I did not like the Caleb/RJ back court, it just never seemed to work right. It was cool to see us take down duke and go on that sweet run thru the NCAAT to the final game but I have seen teams catch hot streaks before and make great runs, that is rarely repeated once the streak is done.

But this pre-season it is different, while I am still not totally sold concerning Hubert and his staff, so far he has made the moves I needed to see. But the collection of talent on this team is off the chain, totally believe we have starter level talent 2 to 3 deep at every position, not sure when I last saw depth like this, maybe when Sheed and VC were freshmen? Honestly folks, I think we are about to be treated to something just really special and I can't wait to see it develop!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I expected a steep growth curve from our HC the entire time. Hubs has demonstrated his insistence on becoming great at every stage of his sports career. From playing to broadcasting to coaching he has been reflective, coach able, and innovative. I'm sure all the coaches watching remember their first chance to lead and are.glad it didn't happen on ESPN!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT