ADVERTISEMENT

It Is 2025.... which conference is Carolina in? Your best guess

keysersosay#1

Hall of Famer
Apr 7, 2006
Folks things are changing, and they are changing FAST. IF we want to play with the big dogs and make the kind of cash that all these schools will be raking in at the SEC and Big whatever the number is, we best be planning on moving to one of the TWO super conferences that are going to dominate the college landscape from now on. We are either on the train or left behind.

I say we will be in the Big 20...they along with the SEC, which will probably have the same Number of schools, will be the mega conferences that (unfortunately IMO) will dominate the college sports world from here on out

Thoughts and predictions please....

I agree with ya Key$er$o$ay, it's the BIG 20 for u$. Nothing we can do but join the exodu$ from the ACC.
It $uck$, but it also make$ no $en$e to mi$$ out on the thing$ that dominate $port$ in thi$ era.

Last edited:
Bball without either Moo or puke??? I do not even want to speculate about that! I feel like UNC will be in the Big by then, but I pray we keep both our traditional rivalries intact, even if they have to be out of conference games! Is UNC enough of a national draw to propose a package deal to get them to accept Moo along with us? puke has enough cachet to get chosen on their own!

I still think the ACC will be here, along with us in 2025. The main thing the Big will concentrate on right now is building out the west coast pod. Someone has to play USC and UCLA. I'm guessing teams like Oregon, Stanford, Washington are on the table. And of course the SEC will push out west too.

That's not to say that UNC won't announce a move. We could always say we will be playing here for a few more years. That's nothing new. It gives teams time to negotiate the out and reduce the cost. This is assuming the donors/athletic department aren't dumb enough to think everything will be fine with the ACC and that ESPN doesn't fight it.

Bball without either Moo or puke??? I do not even want to speculate about that! I feel like UNC will be in the Big by then, but I pray we keep both our traditional rivalries intact, even if they have to be out of conference games! Is UNC enough of a national draw to propose a package deal to get them to accept Moo along with us? puke has enough cachet to get chosen on their own!
Football pays the bills and dook has zero pull there. The B1G and SEC already have the "academic" schools that are cannon fodder for the rest of the league - dook adds nothing. As the previous poster said - forget about State. dook would still be on the schedule in b-ball

• Wow
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
dook could get in by our coattails but MOO??? Fuhgeddaboudit
Yeah, if these conferences end up at 20-24, then duke probably gets in because of the rivalry and their brand. There just aren't 40-48 good football schools and as of right now, they have a good brand. Plus, every conference needs cupcakes to beat up. Moo should be worried though. Their best chance would be the SEC and I'm not sure why they would want them. Maybe if they go to 24 teams.

I hope the ACC survives but as long as we continue to follow the Carolina Way I'll just have to remember what conference we're in!

UNC is what I believe in but the ACC is an indelible part of my entire life too!

They would want Georgia Tech over UA
The Big Ten is at 16 right now.

Notre Dame, Washington (Seattle-Tacoma TV market), Oregon, Stanford, Cal (SF TV market), UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech (Atlanta), Colorado (Denver TV market), FSU, Miami (Florida TV markets), Arizona (Phoenix TV markets), Utah....Kansas will get picked up by the bigger conferences before Duke.

I would encourage you all to take a look at the Top 50 television markets in the U.S. It is my understanding that in your state, UNC is the big draw and Duke is more of the small carpet bagger school with bandwagon fans. UNC is attractive for the TV markets you bring. That is enough to override any mediocrity in football. I don't think there is anything Duke would add that would make it worthwhile for the other schools to want to share a piece of the pie with them.

If you leave, they likely are not coming with.

I don't think there is anything Duke would add that would make it worthwhile for the other schools to want to share a piece of the pie with them.

If you leave, they likely are not coming with.
The best duke can hope for is a yearly OOC game with UNC that's home-and-home. No major conference is giving them $100M in football revenue for their basketball team.

Folks things are changing, and they are changing FAST. IF we want to play with the big dogs and make the kind of cash that all these schools will be raking in at the SEC and Big whatever the number is, we best be planning on moving to one of the TWO super conferences that are going to dominate the college landscape from now on. We are either on the train or left behind.

I say we will be in the Big 20...they along with the SEC, which will probably have the same Number of schools, will be the mega conferences that (unfortunately IMO) will dominate the college sports world from here on out

Thoughts and predictions please....
They aren't changing nearly as fast as you seem to think, and there is literally no danger UNC will be left behind. After the GoR runs out in 2036, we will pick which conference we want to join.

It won't last until 36. Too much money on the table that makes leaving the conference doable financially. I think UNC would like to stay put. But if Clemson, FSU, and Miami, bolt for the SEC at some point, that will make the ACC less than attractive from a football standpoint. Think if it came down to it, UNC probably would feel aligned better with the Big 10. Whichever doesn't get UNC, I could see the other possibly taking state. The rest of the conference would be in no man's land. Scrambling to get maybe App St, Central Florida, and the like to come on board and cobble a semblance of a decent conference together

It won't last until 36. Too much money on the table that makes leaving the conference doable financially. I think UNC would like to stay put. But if Clemson, FSU, and Miami, bolt for the SEC at some point, that will make the ACC less than attractive from a football standpoint. Think if it came down to it, UNC probably would feel aligned better with the Big 10. Whichever doesn't get UNC, I could see the other possibly taking state. The rest of the conference would be in no man's land. Scrambling to get maybe App St, Central Florida, and the like to come on board and cobble a semblance of a decent conference together
State doesn't qualify for the BIG😆

The Big Ten has always been the most evil whore in college sports. Its recent move only proves that. BT Commish Warren stood on the podium and pledged not to raid either the ACC or the BT's very long time ally the Pac. And we are all talking about the next moves after the BT raided the Pac for its most valuable TV market and total control over the Rose Bowl.

The SEC has never done anything so awful.

My druthers would be to have ND go full member in football and the ACC survive as the third Major/Power conference. I have no reason to think that ND would make that move. So I hope we act to get into a super-sized SEC with most of the ACC.

Reactions: Deezheelz
Moo should consider re-hiring Sendak so they can reach at least D-1 level bball! He could get them to the middle of pretty decent conference!

Reactions: Heels5150
The Grant of Rights is just a contract and UNC has very good attorneys.

IMO, the 'heels are already gone.

I'm wondering what happens if a majority of the teams get together and leave at the same time. If ND, UNC, UVA, GT, Miami, Clemson, FSU and VT all say we're gone how does that work? I think that's a very plausible scenario since those are the teams that can definitely go to another conference if the goal is to expand to 20-24.

I'm wondering what happens if a majority of the teams get together and leave at the same time. If ND, UNC, UVA, GT, Miami, Clemson, FSU and VT all say we're gone how does that work? I think that's a very plausible scenario since those are the teams that can definitely go to another conference if the goal is to expand to 20-24.
There is clause in the gor for just the situation you mention

State doesn't qualify for the BIG😆
Football drives the train. Neither school is loaded with tradition. But despite all of the feel good notions that Mack leaves in his wake, the fact is that State has a better football program than UNC right now. UNC has always supposedly had potential. Often called a sleeping giant. But that expectation has been rarely met with the exception of a couple very small periods over the years

Reactions: trimbornunc86
Football drives the train. Neither school is loaded with tradition. But despite all of the feel good notions that Mack leaves in his wake, the fact is that State has a better football program than UNC right now. UNC has always supposedly had potential. Often called a sleeping giant. But that expectation has been rarely met with the exception of a couple very small periods over the years
UNC will decide where MooU goes. Or doesn't go. The fight between the B1G and the SEC would be all about UNC. Whoever loses that fight might go after NCSU but I'm not sure the B1G would be interested.

Both programs aren't very good right now, but I fail to see why moo is better. I guess if you are just looking at surface level records from last year, maybe.

State doesn't have a better program than UNC right now. They had a better season last year.

Completely disagree. Two minutes of dumbassery on UNC's part is the only reason we aren't talking up a winning streak against the mooers.
But you did have those two minutes. And those minutes counted. Mack is going to be Mack. He is going to make everybody feel good about breathing, raise a bunch of money, and recruit well. But then his teams always have those two, or three, games a year where you wonder what in the world did they prepare for this week. That is what brought an end to his tenure in Texas.

The level of in-depth analysis provided by people who work for this site is astounding. No wonder premium subscriptions are flying off the shelf. LOL

A friend of mine works at Purdue and he said the Big 10 is all in on a handful of schools and UNC is one of them.

A friend of mine works at Purdue and he said the Big 10 is all in on a handful of schools and UNC is one of them.
I don't think that's anything new. It was known that the Big tried to go after us and UVA during their last expansion, but we said no. With the benefit of hindsight, that was a mistake on our part.

The level of in-depth analysis provided by people who work for this site is astounding. No wonder premium subscriptions are flying off the shelf. LOL
Yea we may be stoopid, but we puuurdy!

And we understand the difference between offering up insight and stating a brief, unsolicited opinion.

And JFTR, there are a few people that post on the free board that we have dodged a bullet with on Premium. We don't miss them at all.

Last edited:
Ahem...

One ACC School Has A Bold Plan To Deal With Financial Fallout Of Joining A ‘Superconference’ https://brobible.com/sports/article/acc-team-legal-strategy-leaving-for-superconference/
I think they'll have a better chance in court if it's more than one school testing the waters. I read an article a couple of days ago where the writer had talked to a lawyer who had a copy of the original GofR. There was a copy of it attached to the article, but I didn't take the time to read it. Long story short, it would be hard to get out of because of vague language, but it's not ironclad.

I can see either UNC and/or Klemsun ending up in the SEC in the near future. Klemsun has the recent success in football but the UNC brand with multisport athletic success is hard to beat.

I can see either UNC and/or Klemsun ending up in the SEC in the near future. Klemsun has the recent success in football but the UNC brand with multisport athletic success is hard to beat.
The multisport success is what will keep us out of the SEC. They don't have all of the sports that we have and I don't see UNC splitting conferences. Our best fit is with the Big.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT