ADVERTISEMENT

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Virginia Tech announced last month that Michael Vick will be inducted into the Virginia Tech Sports Hall of Fame later this fall. Here are the criteria for induction. See if you can spot the problem.

Criteria:
  • Out of school for 10 years or more;
  • Nationally recognized athletic, coaching, or administrative ability;
  • Must be of good character and reputation/not have been a source of embarrassment to the university in any way;
  • Candidate must have graduated/or not, in good standing/with good graces of university officials;
  • Candidate must receive 6 out of 8 votes of the members of the Hall of Fame selection committee;
  • The career of the person outside of athletics will not have a bearing on the selection unless that person is otherwise qualified.

Apparently the School of Veterinary Medicine at VT isn't very happy about it, nor are the 150,000+ plus people who've signed a petition to stop his induction. I'm one of them, and I encourage you to sign as well (as either a dog lover or a spiteful UNC fan, doesn't matter).

I'm sure this thread will draw some VT cockroaches out of the woodwork, assuming @heelbent hasn't banned them all. Let me save them the trouble: Michael Vick is an indefensible piece of garbage so don't waste your breath with me. Also, I don't want to hear another freaking word about UNC's issues when your exalted former head coach is a outright liar and you hypocrites are going to induct Vick into you HOF despite the absurdity of it all.

Michael Vick is a victim. His attorney says that a group of rich and media connected cats framed him because of his anti-feline biases.

Does UNC even have a sports hall of fame? Having his number displayed inside the stadium is a far cry from inducting him into a group in which good character is a requirement for entry.
I was thinking that they have something inside the football center recognizing him as well. Could be wrong.

I don't see the problem Michael Vick has paid his dues to society, and has worked tirelessly speaking to at risk kids, volunteering at animal shelters, even giving some of his annual pension each yr to charity. None if which make the news, or magazines. I think he has earned his spot. That's my opinion on it. People always wanting people to pay for their crimes even after clearly the person has changed. Here's a question... Ever sped 15 over the speed limit.... The answer is more than likely yes... Did you know that is an offense punishable by 120 in prison.... We all have done something that could land us there. Kudos to Mr. Vick for pulling himself up owning it and changing. If he isn't deserving I don't know who is....

p.s. this is my opinion you can agree or disagree but do so respectfully

I don't see the problem Michael Vick has paid his dues to society, and has worked tirelessly speaking to at risk kids, volunteering at animal shelters, even giving some of his annual pension each yr to charity. None if which make the news, or magazines. I think he has earned his spot. That's my opinion on it. People always wanting people to pay for their crimes even after clearly the person has changed. Here's a question... Ever sped 15 over the speed limit.... The answer is more than likely yes... Did you know that is an offense punishable by 120 in prison.... We all have done something that could land us there. Kudos to Mr. Vick for pulling himself up owning it and changing. If he isn't deserving I don't know who is....

Well said sir!!! People only believe in 2nd chances when it only pertains to them or their loved ones.

I agree. If he has turned his mistake around, then good for him. lets not sink to the depths of the a-hole VT fans.

Probably shouldn't equate speeding with the torture, and murder of innocent, and sentient animals.

I wasn't equating a thing all, I was saying was we have all more than likely done something that could, or should have landed us in prison; please don't try and twist my words to make this an I advocate dog fighting, or murdering, or torturing. That is very short sighted if that's what you took from it

I wasn't equating a thing all I was saying was we have all more than likely done something that could or should have landed us in prison please don't try and twist my words to make this a I advocate dog fighting or murdering or torturing. That is very short sighted if that's what you took from it
I didn't try to twist your words, nor do I believe you advocate what he did.

What you did, though, is suggest that speeding and dog fighting are morally equivalent. That's absurd.

We can disagree all day about worthiness and redemption. My point is simply that character is one of the criteria and Vick clearly fails that test. A source of embarrassment to the university in any way.
Yes we can do out put it on a message board some of us clearly believ he still deserves honor you can disagree... It's what makes this such a good place thi unlike other sits we disagree but rarely don't turn to arguments well unless your Gary on the b-ball side

I didn't try to twist your words, nor do I believe you advocate what he did.

What you did, though, is suggest that speeding and dog fighting are morally equivalent. That's absurd.
Again all I was saying was both have punishments that can land you in prison. Please try and understand I was only saying we don't need to be on high horses we have all done some dirt whether or not you want to admit it that should have, or could have landed us in prison. And I say this as a person who believes he deserved prison for what he did. I also believe he deserves his redemption that he has more than earned

Yes we can do out put it on a message board some of us clearly believ he still deserves honor you can disagree... It's what makes this such a good place thi unlike other sits we disagree but rarely don't turn to arguments well unless your Gary on the b-ball side
Do you believe he has ever caused embarrassment to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in any way? Yes or no.

So has LT and Mccants do we take then down or not honor them? Ty Lawson is a drunk... Do we take him down? One of our former players was accused of rape (charges were dropped) do we remove him?

Last edited:
Do you believe he has ever caused embarrassment to Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in any way? Yes or no.
Obviously the guy has caused embarrassment. That's not debatable. Are you taking issue with this because of the don't be a douche language in the criteria? Would you be ok with them honoring him if it was just based on his accomplishments on the field?

Reactions: Raising Heel
So has LT and Mccants do we take then down or not honor them? Ty Lawson is a drunk... Do we take him down? One of our former players was accused of rape (charges were dropped) do we remove him?
Were any of them honored under criteria that includes character?
Obviously the guy has caused embarrassment. That's not debatable. Are you taking issue with this because of the don't be a douche language in the criteria? Would you be ok with them honoring him if it was just based on his accomplishments on the field?
Yes on both counts.

I would be embarrassed if UNC honored LT, or McCants, or a number of others using the same criteria. Call it for what it is, i.e. exceptional athletic achievement.

Were any of them honored under criteria that includes character?

Yes on both counts.

I would be embarrassed if UNC honored LT, or McCants, or a number of others using the same criteria. Call it for what it is, i.e. exceptional athletic achievement.
Yes they were both honored under said criteria so there is that... I agree with the poaster who said call it excellent athletic achievement... This seems to be a nice compromise one much better than pretending Vick never made your university relevent or millions and millions of dollars

We can disagree all day about worthiness and redemption. My point is simply that character is one of the criteria and Vick clearly fails that test. A source of embarrassment to the university in any way.
Yes he obviously fails the character criteria. And as has been stated above, he's merely being honored for his athletic performance. VT can't distance themselves too much from Vick because they need to use him and his college/pro career (on the field) in recruiting.

200.gif

Curious, what is your stance on Silent Sam and its eventual removal? Surely, you wouldn't want any sort of tribute to traitors of this country. Right?

Curious, what is your stance on Silent Sam and its eventual removal? Surely, you wouldn't want any sort of tribute to traitors of this country. Right?
What's your stance on global warming and the Zika virus? What about on if the earth is flat or round? Those are topics as equally relevant as Silent Sam is to Michael Vick going into VT's ring of honor or whatever it is.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Vick raped dogs?
He might have .....But I think the reference may be to the fact that several pitbull lines have been so ruined by breeding only to fight that they often cannot breed. Even at peak season, the bitch will fight any approaching make. So they tie up the bitch in heat and muzzle both her and the male, and release the male, and he brutally goes at it.

And when done, both dogs would prefer to fight each other to the death.

He might have .....But I think the reference may be to the fact that several pitbull lines have been so ruined by breeding only to fight that they often cannot breed. Even at peak season, the bitch will fight any approaching make. So they tie up the bitch in heat and muzzle both her and the male, and release the male, and he brutally goes at it.
That's correct. Vick and his accomplices subjected female dogs to brutal rapes for breeding purposes.

That's correct. Vick and his accomplices subjected female dogs to brutal rapes for breeding purposes.
Reading about that pattern now in fighting pitbull lines made me want to tie the breeders and let them suffer from the killer dogs they have produced. There is simply no way to see it as anything less than pure evil, evil for delight and entertainment.

Most of those breeders seem to love watching the rape stand matings as much as they love watching the fights to the death.

FWIW Vick got railroaded there are child rapist that spend less time in prison than he did.
That does not mean he got too little. It means the pedophiles needed to receive much harsher sentences.

But, to use a pop culture star, Dr Phil is like almost all his peers in stressing that those who horribly abuse animals are almost certain to abuse people when given the chance.

What's your stance on global warming and the Zika virus? What about on if the earth is flat or round? Those are topics as equally relevant as Silent Sam is to Michael Vick going into VT's ring of honor or whatever it is.
Come on man, don't do that. Silent Sam and its eventual removal is very relevant to Mike Vick being honored. You don't believe a statue is a form of honoring an event, person, etc?

Again the man paid his dues and has been nothing short of an exemplary citizen since by all accounts none of those accolades make news... For the record Vick probably didn't have a lot to do with the animals just funded it all his partners lawyered up and pointed at him... Once all the deals were made Vick was stuck holding the whole bag. I do think it's pretty bad that he got prison an the register pedophile five houses down from me got probation

You should probably read up on the case.
I did read up on the case, and I followed it as t happened... The co-defendants
all got probation as they were the ones who talked first and struck deals with the d.a. Vick had no chips to play; add to that the d.a. now has a chance to put a celebrity in their cap and you have Vick... The part he played was still wrong and he deserved prison but let's not act like justice is cut and dry. I worked as a bailiff before becoming a road deputy I can tell you for a fact that people get convicted for crimes because they jurors are hungry or tired. People take a plea deal because the person that really did the incredulous stuff throws you under the bus while making themselves look like victims of circumstance.

I did read up on the case, and I followed it as t happened...
Then you can imagine my confusion when you stated, "For the record Vick probably didn't have a lot to do with the animals...."

First of all, if you're stating something "for the record" then the word "probably" doesn't belong in that sentence, especially when the facts of the case are well established. Secondly, speaking of facts, he most certainly did participate in the abuse, torture, rape, and murder of the dogs.

Of course all of this misses my original point, which was not to argue about Vick's guilt or redemption. My point was and remains that he is not fit to be inducted into an organization where the criteria unquestionably disqualify him. You're welcome to continue bringing up irrelevant information of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT