ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bateman out?

Seeing several people including Taylor Vippolis are reporting Jay Bateman will soon be out!
How did Vippolis report it? Did he assert that he was told by someone in authority that it was a done deal, or did Vippolis report it as a rumor with legs?

The rumor was moving about 3 hours ago.

I like Bateman as a person and the things he says about his players and how to play D. I like the fact that NFL people interviewed him for his approach. But it just isn't working...

I almost wonder if he's had a weird family disruption or distraction or something the past yr.

Still not official, but at least a legit "national" person is repeating it

Good for both parties. UNC wasn't happy, and I don't think Bateman was happy either. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. And a coach has to be a good fit. Batemans scheme worked wonderfully at Army, but not at UNC. But you have two different types of players. All the kids at Army are smart, and disciplined. And while they recruit a better level of athlete at UNC, they are not as smart, nor as disciplined. One person out of place and you have an issue. Bateman may not have realized until it was too late that he needed to simplify his plan.

I never chimed in on whether Mack would let people go, because you guys follow things much more closely than me and probably had a better read. But, when I listened to him in postgame Mayo Bowl coverage on the radio, he really did seem to be implying that there were no sacred cows and that he was going to seriously consider some changes.

Reactions: uncboy10
I never chimed in on whether Mack would let people go, because you guys follow things much more closely than me and probably had a better read. But, when I listened to him in postgame Mayo Bowl coverage on the radio, he really did seem to be implying that there were no sacred cows and that he was going to seriously consider some changes.
Yeah, his attitude before and after the bowl was completely different.

Reactions: uncboy10
Good for both parties. UNC wasn't happy, and I don't think Bateman was happy either. Sometimes things just don't go as planned. And a coach has to be a good fit. Batemans scheme worked wonderfully at Army, but not at UNC. But you have two different types of players. All the kids at Army are smart, and disciplined. And while they recruit a better level of athlete at UNC, they are not as smart, nor as disciplined. One person out of place and you have an issue. Bateman may not have realized until it was too late that he needed to simplify his plan.
I'm starting to think his defense at army was fools gold. The competition wasn't as good and he benefited from an offense that has the ball the whole game.

I'm starting to think his defense at army was fools gold. The competition wasn't as good and he benefited from an offense that has the ball the whole game.
Said that from day one... Army is almost always in top5 for T.O.P. which probably takes 2 - 3 possessions away from opponents. Makes the ypg and ppg numbers look pretty damn good.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Said that from day one... Army is almost always in top5 for T.O.P. which probably takes 2 - 3 possessions away from opponents. Makes the ypg and ppg numbers look pretty damn good.
The biggest thing everyone talked about is the Oklahoma game. If your biggest sales pitch is one game, then it's probably a bad sign. I wonder how much of it was him and Mack just not being on the same page. They come from two different eras and philosophies. You have to be able to mesh on those things for it to turn out good results. If one or both can't figure out how to come together, then usually the results won't work out well.

D was a decent improvement his first yr (nowhere to go but up).
Remember that Clemson game late Sept? Held them to 21 points, 4.0 yards per carry, Ettiene had just 67 yards.
Maybe that just our opponent OCs lacking scouting film, maybe it was Crawford/Strowbridge being 5th yr high-star guys.

Things seem so different now since that game/yr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT