ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey Honor/Retire

Rabidfrog

Sophomore
Nov 11, 2019
Raleigh
Saw an article where HD was asked about criteria for Jersey honoring.
If you were going to change any of the following, what would it be?

Quote:
“A player's jersey qualifies for honoring if he receives one or more of the following five awards: first- or second-team All-America recognition from the Associated Press, NABC, USBWA or the Sporting News, ACC Player of the Year honors, Most Valuable Player of a National Championship-winning team (as voted by coaches and teammates), Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four or a gold medal in basketball at the Olympics.”
I would posit any positive, major statistical record holder would be about the only thing I would add… Points, Assists, Rebounds, Steals, Blocks. That would put Cota (sure), Bacot (sure), Phelps (?), Psycho T (already), Haywood (hmmmm) in the honored category…

and/or ACC defensive player of the year or unanimous ACC first team?

I don’t like making things easier… not sure we should change anything… just interesting discussion.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't want to water it down but I agree that we should include major stat record holders. ( If their record is broken do we just add another jersey? ) How about a nod to the student part and add the Academic All ACC or NCAA?

How about a 2-time first-team All-ACC. That would get Armando in the rafters, if they didn't do the stat record holders. I like both of those additions.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I don't love the idea of changing to get someone in particular up there but it's happened before. I'd prefer 2 time 1st team All ACC to record holders because chasing records isn't what the program is about imho.

I would cut out the Olympics portion, it really no longer applies to college players.

I would for sure consider a guy that sets a new record in either points scored or rebounds snagged in 4years of college play. I would actually suggest either points or boards should maybe qualify for retired status because that player is now the new king of the Hill on one of the 2 most important stats in the game.

What are we talking about here, a players career at UNC or a game or 2, which could be the case for a guy that becomes MVP of the final 4. A panel determines who the NCAA POY is by any of the major pubs that select the main criteria for what we retire jerseys for. Those panels can be guided by their own agendas that are outside of UNC's interests. If a UNC jersey is retired it should be totally due to UNC interests and the all time leaders in points or boards is completely UNC centered. I mean does it not stand to logic that the all time leader in either points or boards is one of the best ever players we have had and deserves special honor? No, I would not consider numbers earned in a 5th year, like Covid year.

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
My thought behind the question…
Moving from 8 to 16-18-20 teams in the league DRASTICALLY shifted the chances of being ACC player of the year… Olympics is no longer even an option.

I was just thinking what would be career criteria we could add vs one season or a handful of tourney games.
I like the thought of 2-3 years of first team all-acc = honor. 2-3 years of excellence is comparable to me in a 16-20 team league, what ACC player of the year was in a 8 player league.
Defensive player of the year could be worth one year of first team all acc if we wanna get complicated.

Or another way of sorting it — you have to have “3 points” to be honored

-Current criteria all = 3+ points each
( I.e. ACC player of the year = 3 points)

- First team all ACC = 1-2 points
- ACC Defensive Player of the year = 1 point
- Break an all time record = 1-2 points

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT