ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

The problem most freshmen have is they are not just having to acclimate to our pace and defensive switches ect, they are also having to adjust to the level of play in the college game. Transfers may have to learn a system they have not played in but they have already had to learn a new system from what they played in high school and AAU level ball, the transition is not nearly as hard for a transfer to come in and pick things up early, case in point Cam Johnson. But notice other transfers in other programs, not nearly the struggle you see freshmen having to go thru.
Cam is both a good and bad example. Even if he had been healthy his first year, he wouldn't have been the star we saw as a "senior." Case in point, look at how much better he moved without the ball as a senior. Night and day. That wasn't injury related. That was because he had to learn to think that way. From the little I saw, he was more of a "run to your spots" player at Pitt.

So, yeah, he came to us ready to go and fit in quickly - which is your point. But he still had a lot to learn - and it showed in his 2nd season with us.

Reactions: Cookieman50
I am just not that high on him. If he is a defensive liability then he will not see alot of time, fans should know how Roy is with playing defense. Only thing I see is maybe a backup for Brooks who could stretch with his outside shooting. Roy if at all possible will go back to his two big lineup next year if Bacot can handle the 5 you can bank on that!!!

It is one year deal, and it is a free scholly, would you rather just give it to a walk on that has 0 chance of contributing ...
I understand and I never said that we shouldn't take him. If by the end of the trip he wants to come then I am fine with that and will support him.

Take a look at the Justin Pierce video and reflect for a moment. Then ask yourself this question. After 3 years in the program, have you ever seen BRob get a rebound and take the ball coast-to-coast for a lay-up? I love B-Rob, but he lacks some of the skills that Pierce has. Roy is looking for a hybrid player that can stretch the floor. If he thought Brob could fill that role, he would not be recruiting Pierce.

Take a look at the Justin Pierce video and reflect for a moment. Then ask yourself this question. After 3 years in the program, have you ever seen BRob get a rebound and take the ball coast-to-coast for a lay-up? I love B-Rob, but he lacks some of the skills that Pierce has. Roy is looking for a hybrid player that can stretch the floor. If he thought Brob could fill that role, he would not be recruiting Pierce.
I agree, Brob and Platek have the advantage of being in the system multiple years, but Roy is certainly not at the point where he is confident in them being big minute guys . They are veteran 2-3 position guys. Keeling and Pierce are pieces that he sees opportunity for as a 1 and done grad transfer, and he went HARD after both.

Much like 7th, they will get first crack, but their are other bullets at the ready to fill in fairly quickly if they show more ability. Brob showed a nice stroke, he will be in the mix, but Keeling and Pierce are not being told they are coming as spot minute backups as the goal. Open minutes to be had if they are ready to take them.

Or maybe go back and look at Pierce vs good competition. The roster is fine for this season. Maybe it's time to stop for 19 and move on to future classes.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Or maybe go back and look at Pierce vs good competition. The roster is fine for this season. Maybe it's time to stop for 19 and move on to future classes.

A roster with BRob, Platek, and Manley as your 3 best players off the bench is not fine. I think Harris will be a good 4 year player but im really not sure what he can give us this year

A roster with BRob, Platek, and Manley as your 3 best players off the bench is not fine. I think Harris will be a good 4 year player but im really not sure what he can give us this year

Sadly injuries can change things in a second even with loaded teams. 2012 anyone?

There is no reason NOT to take him if we can get his commitment. I really hope he comes to Chapel Thrill.

UNC is a top three(3) ACC team right now, with regard to next season. Just the way that it is and they are close to having a Final Four roster next season!, Imo...

Reactions: Old_School59

Pierce had a wrist injury this past season. In addition, he will be a "role" player on this team. Finally, action speaks lounder than words. If Roy was happy with the team after the Keeling signing he would have told Piierce not to come in for the OV. This is a "Gap" year. Roy is on a mission for a hybrid foward that can stretch the floor. If Pierce acccepts the offer, it's a done deal. If Brob was "closely guarded" I doubt he would hit very many shots. Roy wants players that create their own shots. If Pierce does not accept, I think Roy will continue to try to find a player to fit this role. Love Brob, but he is a role player with limited skills.

Last edited:
Pierce may see a guaranteed starting spot at UM. But I think he’d be a very good addition to next year’s team, some much needed experience and skills that would help meet our needs.

Reactions: TheFamily22
Whole lot of Pierce experts in this thread.

I had no idea THR spent so much time watching W&M games. This was the same group that said how good KJ played at Portland because obviously THR also watches lots of Portland games on random west coast channels at 1am.

I'm not the highest on Pierce because of his struggles vs power 5, but if it's Pierce or leave the scholly for a walk-on then hell give that scholly to Pierce 100 times out of 100.

I admittedly don't know a lot about Pierce other than his stats so I reserve comment on his game.

Keeling on the other hand I've seen a few times and he's outstanding.

Pierce 3rd team all Conference player, Yes the same Teams that find a way to beat the big Boys.. We should stop at this point thinking Gardner Webb, wofford, Liberty etc Can't Compete... Now you bring in a potential Shooter, a shooter that at WM they designed defenses in the Film room to stop, we will call him their 1st or 2nd option... Now you play for UNC and you are the 5th or 6th option and the guy dishing to you is one of the Best true PG High schoolers of the last decade.. Do you think the opposing team spends a lot of time on how to stop Pierce? Again Free Money...

If he thought Brob could fill that role, he would not be recruiting Pierce.

Brob looked good last year. Hard to predict how a backup will do in a starting role. I posted on another thread recent improvements for a number of players and you're looking at 2-3X more points for guys like Luke a sub 100 to JJax a 5* and everything in between.

Plus I think he's recruiting Pierce as a 3 and maybe even backup 4 not 2. We already have a lot at guard. No backup 3 or 4.

Pierce had a wrist injury this past season. In addition, he will be a "role" player on this team. Finally, action speaks lounder than words. If Roy was happy with the team after the Keeling signing he would have told Piierce not to come in for the OV. This is a "Gap" year. Roy is on a mission for a hybrid foward that can stretch the floor. If Pierce acccepts the offer, it's a done deal. If Brob was "closely guarded" I doubt he would hit very many shots. Roy wants players that create their own shots. If Pierce does not accept, I think Roy will continue to try to find a player to fit this role. Love Brob, but he is a role player with limited skills.
The main way I see Pierce affecting BRob is that with Pierce on board, BRob won't be required to play a lot of minutes at SF, if any.

BRob did very nicely for us last season, mostly as backup SG. With Keeling in the mix, BRob is likely to spend his senior year mostly as backup SG again - UNLESS we need him at SF.

We definitely need BRob at SF if Leaky is the only SF on the team. (Assuming none of our walkons breaks out.)

We also need BRob at SF if neither Sterling and Huff are good enough to play all the backup minutes in the post. Because that will mean moving Brooks to the post and either Pierce (if we have him) or Leaky to PF.

I agree. But I just want to hear more scouting opinions on him.

Gaucho, scouting reports? Roy and staff want him (assumption) vs. a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board giving their opinions? Kind of like everyone predicting minutes played, performance expectations (and comparisons to great players of the past) of an incoming freshman who hasn't even had one practice yet, etc., etc. Enjoy the ride my friend.

The main way I see Pierce affecting BRob is that with Pierce on board, BRob won't be required to play a lot of minutes at SF, if any.

BRob did very nicely for us last season, mostly as backup SG. With Keeling in the mix, BRob is likely to spend his senior year mostly as backup SG again - UNLESS we need him at SF.

We definitely need BRob at SF if Leaky is the only SF on the team. (Assuming none of our walkons breaks out.)

We also need BRob at SF if neither Sterling and Huff are good enough to play all the backup minutes in the post. Because that will mean moving Brooks to the post and either Pierce (if we have him) or Leaky to PF.

Huff will be given an opportunity to get minutes but if he does not make the jump this season, I'm afraid he may transfer after this year (similar to Seventh) and try to make his mark at another school his senior year. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. This is Huff's year. It's up to him. There will be less playing time next season.

Huff will be given an opportunity to get minutes but if he does not make the jump this season, I'm afraid he may transfer after this year (similar to Seventh) and try to make his mark at another school his senior year. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. This is Huff's year. It's up to him. There will be less playing time next season.
I agree. I know some people react negatively to comments like this, but I think that would be in Huff's best interests.

Moreover, in Huff's shoes, I would be researching which schools have shown success teaching good hands. I'm convinced that skill is at least somewhat teachable, but we don't seem to know how, or don't emphasize it for guys like Huff and Joel James. Maybe there's a school out there who can help him with that. That and another year of maturing and practicing could be the ticket for Huff.

While we're talking transfers, if we sign Pierce, I think BRob should give that some thought, too. It looks like Keeling will take away the starting spot at SG. If Pierce comes on board, that takes away backup minutes at SF. BRob is absolutely good enough to start at SF for a lot of schools. And not necessarily low level schools, either. So if those assessments of PT seem correct, he should probably follow Seventh's lead. Just because it's not his turn here doesn't mean it can't be his turn somewhere else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT