ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

All those questions become really important with the start of next season because every ACC team will have an extra 2 conference games to play....
Does that start now?

I like that change.

Does that mean we play 2 fewer out-of-conference games?

When will the schedules come out (or did I miss them)?

I think the point is some don't feel great about our depth heading into next season. I'm one of them, even if I also haven't seen Pierce enough (no one has) to get super excited about him yet.

Can't predict injury and we're a wing injury away from being super thin.

It is the Unknown, but so are High schoolers rated outside the top 100, that being said he has proven himself at the college level to be somewhat successful .. I feel at this point it would be like getting a 4star high school freshmen from a talent perspective...

I think the point is some don't feel great about our depth heading into next season. I'm one of them, even if I also haven't seen Pierce enough (no one has) to get super excited about him yet.

Can't predict injury and we're a wing injury away from being super thin.
Yep. Even without any injuries it's problematic.

If someone doesn't turn into a good backup for Garrison, that probably means Leaky has to slide to the 4. So then we need more backup at SF. BRob is the obvious choice and gives him more minutes (assuming Keeling starts at SG and BRob is his backup) but it's still going pretty small (Garrison will be on the bench, Leaky at PF and BRob at SF).

Do the math. If we're thinking Leaky will play 25-30 mpg and he has to play 10-15 at PF, that could mean BRob has to play starter minutes at SF. That could be nice for Andrew, since he'll get more PT at SG but, again, we're going deeper into the bench and getting smaller.

Similarly, if Sterling or Huff don't step up - and especially if Armando can't play long minutes - that means Garrison has to back up in the post. Meaning even more minutes for Leaky at PF and rippling on down the lineup.

Of course we could get Lucky. Sterling or Huff could make big strides over the summer and become solid post players. Meaning Garrison doesn't need to play center. Meaning Leaky plays less at PF, and so on.

But even if Sterling/Huff get enough better, we're still slim at SF. And, as you point out, that assumes no injuries. And some games we'll have foul trouble, or someone has the flu, or someone just has a bad game. And then being thin in the SF and PF positions could really hurt.

It is the Unknown, but so are High schoolers rated outside the top 100, that being said he has proven himself at the college level to be somewhat successful .. I feel at this point it would be like getting a 4star high school freshmen from a talent perspective...
Exactly. Probably they have less upside than that 4-star freshman, but we aren't looking for multi-year improvement.

I look at grads from small colleges and assume that their production will drop for the obvious reasons (tougher competition and surrounded by other guys who can score, too, etc.). Pierce was 14.9 pts, 8.9 rbs, and 4.1 ast. Suppose that drops to something like 11, 6 and 2.5. We can definitely use that.

Plus he has the maturity thing going for him. Less likely to make mistakes than a freshman. Which will be even more important since we will probably start 2 freshmen (and maybe 2 grad newcomers).

And while highlight clips never show people looking their worst, I confess that I got a lot more eager to land Pierce after watching that video. Sure, he won't get away with some of that at our level, but he looked good, and well-rounded (on offense, at least).

Per TOS, the feeling is Michigan.

But Steat told us if he makes the visit it's going to be UNC!? You mean to tell me someone on a message board stating to be close with Pierce might have just been making that all up. Shocked I tell ya, Shocked!!

Yep. Even without any injuries it's problematic.

If someone doesn't turn into a good backup for Garrison, that probably means Leaky has to slide to the 4. So then we need more backup at SF. BRob is the obvious choice and gives him more minutes (assuming Keeling starts at SG and BRob is his backup) but it's still going pretty small (Garrison will be on the bench, Leaky at PF and BRob at SF).

Do the math. If we're thinking Leaky will play 25-30 mpg and he has to play 10-15 at PF, that could mean BRob has to play starter minutes at SF. That could be nice for Andrew, since he'll get more PT at SG but, again, we're going deeper into the bench and getting smaller.

Similarly, if Sterling or Huff don't step up - and especially if Armando can't play long minutes - that means Garrison has to back up in the post. Meaning even more minutes for Leaky at PF and rippling on down the lineup.

Of course we could get Lucky. Sterling or Huff could make big strides over the summer and become solid post players. Meaning Garrison doesn't need to play center. Meaning Leaky plays less at PF, and so on.

But even if Sterling/Huff get enough better, we're still slim at SF. And, as you point out, that assumes no injuries. And some games we'll have foul trouble, or someone has the flu, or someone just has a bad game. And then being thin in the SF and PF positions could really hurt.

Priceless...

Coach williams doesnt hand out offers just cause he has some available. To claim so is nothing short of an insult to the coach and the program and frankly shows someone knows absolutely NOTHING about unc bball and how coach works.

Keeling commitment meant we were playing from behind this whole time with Pierce, who wants an easier path to playing time.

I'd bet it's 75/25 Michigan right now.

Keeling commitment meant we were playing from behind this whole time with Pierce, who wants an easier path to playing time.

Yea i dont know what hes looking for in a school but if its starting or starter like minutes i wouldnt think he would be very attracted to unc. If anyone knows michigans situation at the 3,4 positions maybe that will explain why he must like them.

But Steat told us if he makes the visit it's going to be UNC!? You mean to tell me someone on a message board stating to be close with Pierce might have just been making that all up. Shocked I tell ya, Shocked!!

I'm not an insider. It was a prediction and I stand by it. Don't we all make them? If I was wrong, it's no big deal. I based that prediction on information that I read from a poster on TOS who has a granddaughter that is a very good friend of Pierce at W&M. The granddaughter apparently hangs out with Pierce's girlfriend who will be a senior at W&M this fall. They hang out together and the granddaughter said he was leaning heavily towards UNC. It all boils now to playing time. The posters on TOS are guessing just like everyone else. NONE of their insiders has called him to any school. The kid is very quiet and does not say much and is not on social media like some other recruits. Pierce has not tipped his hand at this juncture. Everyone is speculating because the kid does not talk much. He plans to announce within the next 3 days. That could be a good thing. Roy probably told him to make a decision because UNC has a critical need for a hybrid forward and if he is not going to commit this will give Roy some time to recruit someone else.

Last edited:

If all cared about was playing time why didn't he stay at William and Mary. He's not winning anything next year at Michigan.

Reactions: DeuceManJones
If all cared about was playing time why didn't he stay at William and Mary. He's not winning anything next year at Michigan.

One wild card in our favor, his head coach was Tony Shaver (a Tar Heel) and assistent coach Jonathan Holmes (another Tar heel).

I agree with Gary that Grad Transfers are generally not the best trend to get into. Can Johnson worked out greatly mostly because he had two years of eligibility.

Our only other grad transfer I remember before that was the power forward we got that one year (Knox?) That barely saw the court. I mean, if you got scholarships you can't get recruits with then so be it, but at some point I wonder what the outcome is.

Many of you don't want to become a OAD school but are all about these grad transfers. They are guaranteed OAD for 99% of them.

I think one of these grad transfers (Pierce?) Was their 2nd best player on a 14-17 William and Mary team? Is he actually going to be a viable asset to add?

It sounds like a depth player than a starter to me imo.

That said, if we can't recruit a player better than I guess there is no downside tho because the scholarship is not carried on.

Reactions: DeuceManJones
I agree with Gary that Grad Transfers are generally not the best trend to get into. Can Johnson worked out greatly mostly because he had two years of eligibility.

Our only other grad transfer I remember before that was the power forward we got that one year (Knox?) That barely saw the court. I mean, if you got scholarships you can't get recruits with then so be it, but at some point I wonder what the outcome is.

Many of you don't want to become a OAD school but are all about these grad transfers. They are guaranteed OAD for 99% of them.

I think one of these grad transfers (Pierce?) Was their 2nd best player on a 14-17 William and Mary team? Is he actually going to be a viable asset to add?

It sounds like a depth player than a starter to me imo.

That said, if we can't recruit a player better than I guess there is no downside tho because the scholarship is not carried on.

I like the grad transfer route more than I do the 1&D kids out of high school. They have already played against college level competition, they have worked with S/C programs, they have worked on skill development for 3-4yrs at the college level.

Look at Cam, he was dealing with a bum hip his first season with us and sure he had a much stronger second season with us but truth is his first season with us was pretty darn good for his first with us, what did he average 12-14 and was a threat to drop 20+ pretty much at any time.

Someone said a day or so ago, transfers don't usually work out all that great for us but that Cam was maybe the exception? LOL, under Roy we have had a grand total of 2 up to now, Knox and Cam... #sample size?

Would you rather get 30 minutes a night playing in front of 15,000 at Michigan or 2,000 at W&M?
I understand that but if he's scared to compete and just wants an easy path then I don't want him. That's the problem with kids these days. Most want to be handed everything and work for nothing.

I understand that but if he's scared to compete and just wants an easy path then I don't want him. That's the problem with kids these days. Most want to be handed everything and work for nothing.

I think there's a bit of distinction between "scared to compete" vs. UNC now has Harris/Keeling/B-Rob/Leaky on the wing.

I don't blame him if he sees more minutes opportunity at Michigan right now.

I think there's a bit of distinction between "scared to compete" vs. UNC now has Harris/Keeling/B-Rob/Leaky on the wing.

I don't blame him if he sees more minutes opportunity at Michigan right now.
If he does not think he can beat out Robinson or Leaky for playing time then he shouldn't worry about showcasing himself next season for a pro career.

Knowledge of coach williams recruiting process eludes you. Obviously.
Now THAT is laughable. Y'know, you came on here last week and attacked me for no good reason and ended up getting your knuckles rapped and your nose honked, yet you're still whining and/or posting passive-aggressive sniping. You're entitled to whatever opinion you want, and I'm more than happy to talk different views, but you can take your snide little attacks and shove 'em.

I don't think Pierce will choose UNC just because I think Leaky will likely start over him. These grad transfers wanna start their last year.

I don't think Roy goes into any off-season thinking about going the GT route. This was a "gap" year, which meant he needed to recruit the "non-traditional" way to get a championship caliber team. When you lose 5 of your top 6 players and didn't have adequate replacements he had to go the GT route. I don't think anyone of us will settle for an NIT team.

I don't think Pierce will choose UNC just because I think Leaky will likely start over him. These grad transfers wanna start their last year.

You could be correct. On the other hand, Roy gave Pierce a good idea of his role before his visit and he still came on the OV. Roy didn't promise him a starting position and he still came on the OV. He could have easily gone back to W&M and studied for his final exams.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Does anyone have highlights of Pierce? I see everyone raving about him but he looks similar to Platek in build.

Now THAT is laughable. Y'know, you came on here last week and attacked me for no good reason and ended up getting your knuckles rapped and your nose honked, yet you're still whining and/or posting passive-aggressive sniping. You're entitled to whatever opinion you want, and I'm more than happy to talk different views, but you can take your snide little attacks and shove 'em.

Your claims about coach’s motivations regarding offering pierce shows an immense amount of ignorance about what kind of coach he is and how he approaches recruiting. Thats no opinion, just the truth. Deal with it auburn fan.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Updating this to 90/10 Michigan.

Oh, so you taped and re-watched all of Charleston Southern's games this season? I mean, you are predicting what this kid is going to do, is your cousin an assistant coach, you have Tony Shaver or Jonathan Holes on speed dial?

I mean NOW, YOU are the self proclaimed expert on this kid, so much so that YOU now give us odds on where he will go, it does take an expert to give odds like that. NOW fully realizing how much you HATE folks offering an opinion on a grad transfer that they did not watch every single he played in last season, SURELY YOU, of all people, would not try to portray yourself as some kind of expert if in fact you really didn't have a clue, cause cause, that would make you a hypocrite, wouldn't it?

Oh, so you taped and re-watched all of Charleston Southern's games this season? I mean, you are predicting what this kid is going to do, is your cousin an assistant coach, you have Tony Shaver or Jonathan Holes on speed dial?

I mean NOW, YOU are the self proclaimed expert on this kid, so much so that YOU now give us odds on where he will go, it does take an expert to give odds like that. NOW fully realizing how much you HATE folks offering an opinion on a grad transfer that they did not watch every single he played in last season, SURELY YOU, of all people, would not try to portray yourself as some kind of expert if in fact you really didn't have a clue, cause cause, that would make you a hypocrite, wouldn't it?

1. Justin Pierce plays for W&M, not Charleston Southern.
2. I admittedly have said a few times in this thread I don't know enough to make a great assessment of his game.
3. I'm putting my predictions out there based on what info I've received from like 3 different premium sites. Not sure what that has to do with watching him play.
4. WHY do you PUT caps ON certain words and NOT on OTHERS.

Have a good evening Dave.

Does anyone have highlights of Pierce? I see everyone raving about him but he looks similar to Platek in build.
There are some nice highlite reels on him both here and on TOS. What I really like about his game, he is VERY fluid, surprisingly athletic, easily elevates to play above the rim and has a really sweet looking stroke, a stroke that will translate to any level of the college game. Watch the reels and you tell me what you see, a see a kid that could play real well for us, maybe that is why Roy offered him? But I am not self proclaimed expert, better check with dadika first, he is the expert on all things or so he seems to believe. Sorry for the dig but I am getting real tired of some of the jerkish nonsense. you asked a fair question, sorry if I took it off the rails, but yeah, love what I see int he kids game, I think he ends up at Michigan but would love for us to snag him!

1. Justin Pierce plays for W&M, not Charleston Southern.
2. I admittedly have said a few times in this thread I don't know enough to make a great assessment of his game.
3. I'm putting my predictions out there based on what info I've received from like 3 different premium sites. Not sure what that has to do with watching him play.
4. WHY do you PUT caps ON certain words and NOT on OTHERS.

Have a good evening Dave.

Oh, so it was W&M games you watched all of this season, well that makes all the difference, doesn't it...

Oh, so your opinions are formed by what is said on message board sites, yeah, ya not exactly helping your cause with that one...

I cap words to make sure they carry the power I want them to, glad I could educate you on that...

Oh, so it was W&M games you watched all of this season, well that makes all the difference, doesn't it...

Oh, so your opinions are formed by what is said on message board sites, yeah, ya not exactly helping your cause with that one...

I cap words to make sure they carry the power I want them to, glad I could educate you on that...

Again. I've said a bunch in this thread that I don't think we necessarily know enough about his game to say a lot about his game. Me included.

His recruitment, however, is pretty easily tracked on premium message boards with insiders getting intel directly from him.

We done here?

Reactions: tarheel0910
The "scared" to compete garbage is thrown around WAY too much. If a program ( heck a job for that matter) has multiple people at your level that will split time with you during your limited window available to impress and put your skills on display to bolster your resume, while another offer for a similar position gives you a clearer route to get fully immersed, gain experience, and showcase your skill set, you take that into consideration. It is called making a wise business decision.

Being "scared" to compete has nothing to do with it. I hope he chooses UNC, but if he doesn't it is not because he lacks the backbone to compete.

Again. I've said a bunch in this thread that I don't think we necessarily know enough about his game to say a lot about his game. Me included.

His recruitment, however, is pretty easily tracked on premium message boards with insiders getting intel directly from him.

We done here?
Dude, we will be done when you figure out the difference between discussing things and being a jerk! Your snide comments do not fall on deaf ears nor are they forgotten. I am your mirror, I reflect back to your the nonsense you want to put out, if you do not like the reflection then stop with the snide BS and simply discuss what you see differently.

I swear, at times I think you and gary are related, it must be required to bring a fire arm to the family reunions. I don't like when gary does it and I don't like when you or anyone else does it. I DO NOT enjoy having to post things like this, all I freakin want to do is fairly discuss UNC basketball but I can only take so much bull before I have enough of it.

As for Pierce, I am going to question ANYONE that does see this kid as a player, expert or not, I trust what I see over any so called expert, I have said that many many many times and it is not exactly a well liked opinion in some circles, do ya really think I care, hint, the answer is NOT A DAMN BIT! .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT