ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

There's nothing to explain or justify... from you or from him. I mean, if you get (and earn) the op as a grad tansfer to move on up to the big-time for one season, who can blame that player for wanting to play as much as possible during that one year?

Pierce was never recruited by the sort of programs that want him now, so good on him for earning this late chance at high-D1. Honestly, he'd be dumb NOT to look at the roster of his prospective destinations, given he has one chance at this. Wouldn't you?

Pierce is a fine player whom I would normally be happy to have at UNC. My main trepidation (that I posted above) is the fit on this roster, in particular when we already have two fine returning players at his position who have worked their way through the system.

Those 2 fine returners that you refer to, while I agree, great kids, fact is neither have proven they are ready for a starting job. Now I do think Leaky would be a very good, maybe exceptional wing, I see him as our starter at that position. What I have seen from BRob is a fine role player off the bench, a kid that can give us some mismatches to exploit at the 2 because he has good length with those long arms, he plays longer than his height. But hat reduces at the 3 and we love to switch off between the 3 and the 4 and his 175-180lbs becomes a deficit. He is great for a pop of energy off the bench because the kid does work his butt off when he is in there.

BUt from what I have seen, Pierce would be a better fit if I am needing and I think we do, a guy that can come in and give us 20+ minutes a game. Those last few minutes of the game vs Auburn still haunts me, Roy had guys on the side lines to come in but no stoppage of played allowed them in, BRob tried to take over the offense and it was really ugly, I mean really really ugly. It is one thing to pop open look jumpers when defenses are more focused on your 4 other team mates but in that sequence the spot light turned to him and it was not good.

Pierce, how many recruited him out of high school doesn't matter, what school he committed and played for doesn't matter. What does matter, all that really does when we consider him matched up to our team needs is how he is able to play today. He has clearly met the challenge at the college level already so much so that in a year that we see an amazing list of very talented transfers, this kid has been considered one of the top 5. I would liken that to our getting a 5 star 1&D as a wing (if we were so fortunate as to get him). Those 5 star 1&D kids have much more upside but the vast majority of that upside is not seen till they get to the NBA, case in point our own Naz. That senior transfer may not have the upside that a 5 star 1&D has but you SEE more and in some cases most of that upside while still on college.

Those last few minutes of the game vs Auburn still haunts me, Roy had guys on the side lines to come in but no stoppage of played allowed them in, BRob tried to take over the offense and it was really ugly, I mean really really ugly. It is one thing to pop open look jumpers when defenses are more focused on your 4 other team mates but in that sequence the spot light turned to him and it was not good.
That sequence is burned into my memory as well.

Reactions: gauchoheel
More than Likely he was not effected as much from the flu as the others and gave it a shot...

With Pierce possibly calling for us, could someone break down the roster by position (possible starters and reserve)? Over the last couple of weeks I have lost track of the roster. That would be awesome. Thanks.

With Pierce possibly calling for us, could someone break down the roster by position (possible starters and reserve)? Over the last couple of weeks I have lost track of the roster. That would be awesome. Thanks.

PG - Cole/Harris/Leaky
SG - Keeling/Harris/BRob
SF - Pierce/Leaky/BRob
PF - Brooks/Bacot/Pierce (if we go small)
C - Bacot/Manley

That's a 9 man rotation which sounds about right. Then you have Huff, Platek, Francis who will probably see less than 5 min per game.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Probable starter first - then all who could theoretically be asked to backup the position (so some guys appear more than once) in rough order of how likely they are to be the backup.

PG - Cole - Anthony, Leaky, KJ, Andrew, Jeremiah
SG - Keeling - BRob, Andrew, Leaky, Caleb, Ryan
SF - Leaky or Pierce - BRob, Ryan, Shea
PF - Brooks - Pierce, Leaky, Armando, Walker
C - Armando - Sterling, Brooks, Huff, Walker

Total guesswork on backup PG, some guesswork on the others. We don't know if Anthony or Jeremiah will be healthy. Leaky could handle PG, but we almost certainly need him at SF. I have no idea if Keeling could swing to PG. If he could, that would give someone like BRob more PT at SG without hurting the team.

Probable starter first - then all who could theoretically be asked to backup the position (so some guys appear more than once) in rough order of how likely they are to be the backup.

PG - Cole - Anthony, Leaky, KJ, Andrew, Jeremiah
SG - Keeling - BRob, Andrew, Leaky, Caleb, Ryan
SF - Leaky or Pierce - BRob, Ryan, Shea
PF - Brooks - Pierce, Leaky, Armando, Walker
C - Armando - Sterling, Brooks, Huff, Walker

Total guesswork on backup PG, some guesswork on the others. We don't know if Anthony or Jeremiah will be healthy. Leaky could handle PG, but we almost certainly need him at SF. I have no idea if Keeling could swing to PG. If he could, that would give someone like BRob more PT at SG without hurting the team.
Why do you have Andrew as a PG? Has Roy changed his mind about him?

Reactions: carolinablue34
Just to over analyze a teenagers tweets :)

Does this mean he's changed on the "1 more" tweet to "IDK" or was his 1 more comment related to a different player?

If Bacot did know now that pierce was coming to us then I would not be surprised to see Amando be told to shut up and let the kid have his day.

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
If Bacot did know now that pierce was coming to us then I would not be surprised to see Amando be told to shut up and let the kid have his day.
How many days does he need? It's like those kids that commit and de-commit. You already had your day.

well, 5mins and we will know...

Interesting question for you guys, if Pierce does end up at Michigan, does that mean that Roy has told him he feels very good with our chances to get Precious. All the scuttle but I hear is that Pierce wants to play for UNC and for Roy but was concerned with how he would be used. Now Ray Charles could see how he would be used if we eliminated bringing any other 3, like Precious. There is a realistic 20mins a game backing up the wing to be had, even a realistic chance at being the starting wing. All I have heard is this kid wanted clarity on that 1 question.

T minus 5.4.3.2.1 HE COMMITTING TO...LOL

Plus Steat got on this board before the announcement and flapped his wings and said I know I am right..

I'm convinced that guy on TOS was actually the grandfather of Pierce's GF.

Even the interview quotes from Pierce match what this guy was saying 3 days ago. Rare to find a guy like that with super accurate intel.

Reactions: Kadyn930
I am very excited over his commit. I believe he is the final piece of the puzzle. The potential is there for a very interesting and possibly amazing season.

Reactions: Archer2
I'm convinced that guy on TOS was actually the grandfather of Pierce's GF.

Even the interview quotes from Pierce match what this guy was saying 3 days ago. Rare to find a guy like that with super accurate intel.

I have been here well over a decade and that would be the first I have heard on what you just said..

I really wanted us to snag this kid, even more so than Precious because he is already a college player, he has already made that high school to college maturation and he is a kid that will not be upset if he ends up coming off our bench, something that precious has no interest in doing.

While I do like leaky to start at the 3, I plug Pierce right now in to his primary back up slot as well as a short minutes fill in at the 4 when Roy wants to go to that small ball look with a stretch 4 (not a role I see either leaky or BRob excelling in). I feel he is a better fit than Precious, for what we need, meaning Precious is more of a Naz like player, a 4 that believes he is a 3, like Henson was. Pierce just wants to play, he doesn't really care what position he will get plugged in to, kinda BRob in that sense.

Reactions: tarwhiz and Archer2
Nice!! I wasn't expecting this. With all the additions of the last couple weeks it easily makes UNC top ten team going into next season. Go HEELS!!

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT