ADVERTISEMENT

Justin pierce

The "scared" to compete garbage is thrown around WAY too much. If a program ( heck a job for that matter) has multiple people at your level that will split time with you during your limited window available to impress and put your skills on display to bolster your resume, while another offer for a similar position gives you a clearer route to get fully immersed, gain experience, and showcase your skill set, you take that into consideration. It is called making a wise business decision.

Being "scared" to compete has nothing to do with it. I hope he chooses UNC, but if he doesn't it is not because he lacks the backbone to compete.

Totally agree!!! Pretty much any kid wants to play rather than sit on the bench, I do not blame Pierce for going elsewhere if he feels he will get more PT. BUT, PT should be earned and if you are really that good, you should be willing to take what you want rather than need it given to you. Truth is, if you are really confident then it should not matter who may be competing for your PT, matter of fact winning PT against stronger competition should substantiate your ability rather than take away from it.

Totally agree!!! Pretty much any kid wants to play rather than sit on the bench, I do not blame Pierce for going elsewhere if he feels he will get more PT. BUT, PT should be earned and if you are really that good, you should be willing to take what you want rather than need it given to you. Truth is, if you are really confident then it should not matter who may be competing for your PT, matter of fact winning PT against stronger competition should substantiate your ability rather than take away from it.
Dave, You hit the nail on the head. All jobs aren't the same and Michigan program basketball simply isn't Carolina program basketball by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree with earning minutes. Showing you belong and earning the starters spot, but still being one among 3 similar players still affords you less opportunity (minutes) then being a clear option at another top level place and then being able to compete head up against those type players in real game action nightly.

I just don't see it as being "scared" of competition as many seem to throw out there when bringing in multiple guys at the same position or having multiple guys at the position back is mentioned as a negative for a player when choosing among his suitors.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Does anyone have highlights of Pierce? I see everyone raving about him but he looks similar to Platek in build.

Look on the first page of the thread and you will the You Tube video posted by Jesus.

I just don't see it as being "scared" of competition as many seem to throw out there when bringing in multiple guys at the same position or having multiple guys at the position back is mentioned as a negative for a player when choosing among his suitors.
I agree it’s not a matter of “being scared”, he wants to pay where he has the greatest chance of putting up numbers impressive enough to perhaps attract pro scouts. Can’t blame him for chasing his dream.

My gut says it’s UM.

I agree it’s not a matter of “being scared”, he wants to pay where he has the greatest chance of putting up numbers impressive enough to perhaps attract pro scouts. Can’t blame him for chasing his dream.

My gut says it’s UM.

Yeah tough to blame a kid who has one year left to look for his best situation. We praised 7th for it but Pierce is scared? Hmm.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
The fact that kevin durant chose not to come to unc with his best friend lawson due to the talent he would be up against for playing time says a lot about how players perceive that kind of thing.

Now THAT is laughable. Y'know, you came on here last week and attacked me for no good reason and ended up getting your knuckles rapped and your nose honked, yet you're still whining and/or posting passive-aggressive sniping. You're entitled to whatever opinion you want, and I'm more than happy to talk different views, but you can take your snide little attacks and shove 'em.

Knuckles rapped? Nose honked? Funny i missed that. If you’re talking about me calling you out on your claim that joel berry “ran the show better then anyone” then....BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! Thanks for reminding me. God i laughed so hard. Good times.

#nuancesgmafb

The fact that kevin durant chose not to come to unc with his best friend lawson due to the talent he would be up against for playing time says a lot about how players perceive that kind of thing.
Durant desperately wanted UNC but couldn’t get through admissions. Mike and others have detailed the story on this board multiple times.

I didn't say a damned thing about the coach's motivations. That's your twisted invention. And ignorance? Yeah right. Dude, I could fart more Carolina basketball than you'll ever f***ing know.

Well yea you most certainly did. Lets see, you claimed pierce was offered just because a. we had the extra spending money to do so (yea its an analogy) and b. Only cause we had the extra scholly to offer. So yea that certainly is talking about his motivation and its an insult to coach’s character and the program in general. Noone with any rudimentary knowledge of unc bball would make such outlandish claims. I suspect your farts are actually you crapping your pants. Cause your claims....they’re shite.

Reactions: carolinablue34
I don't think playing time will be the deciding factor for Pierce. Keep in mind that Roy told him on the phone before the OV that he would have a limited role if he committed to UNC. Despite this, he still came on the OV.

He is not looking to play in the NBA. He may be looking at the "best" school that can help him move into executive basketball positions after college. Getting into such a position will be facilitated in a big way by having UNC on his resume. This may be the deciding factor folks....not playing time. He would get more playing time at Michigan.

This is coming from a TOS poster's grandaughter who is close friend of Pierce at W&M.

UNC has a Sports Administration grad program. Cam was in it. No doubt Roy exposed this to Pierce on his OV.

Keep in mind that Roy told him on the phone before the OV that he would have a limited role if he committed to UNC.
Do we know this for a fact?

If that's factual, then I doubt he comes to UNC.

I can see Roy not promising that he'll start. But if he's not even projecting a lot of PT and another good school is promising either a starting role or at least good PT, then he'd have to love UNC to chose us ahead of them. UNC is easy to love, but I've seen nothing to suggest he has any special feeling for us at this stage.

As I have suggested in other posts, I think we need Pierce at SF and PF - because we are hurting for depth there - and that between those assignments, he should easily play starter minutes, even if he doesn't start.

If Roy doesn't think we will use him that much, he (Roy) must be expecting a lot more out of Leaky/Sterling/Huff/Walker/BRob than we mere fans have seen so far.

I mean I'm willing to think that Leaky and BRob can play starter minutes and be good - even though neither of them played even 20 minutes in a game last season. But I've seen nothing to suggest Sterling or Huff can give ACC caliber play for more than 15 mpg, combined.

He is not looking to play in the NBA. He may be looking at the "best" school that can help him move into executive basketball positions after college.
That sounds reasonable as a long term goal. But if I'm in his shoes, I'm probably thinking I can play for pay somewhere before I settle into an office job. And, who knows, maybe I'm just optimistic enough to think someone will give me a short shot in the NBA if I can prove myself at a top program.

Still, that's the most convincing argument I've heard that might see him in UNC blue without getting starter minutes.

I can see Roy not promising that he'll start. But if he's not even projecting a lot of PT and another good school is promising either a starting role or at least good PT, then he'd have to love UNC to chose us ahead of them. UNC is easy to love, but I've seen nothing to suggest he has any special feeling for us at this stage.

As I have suggested in other posts, I think we need Pierce at SF and PF - because we are hurting for depth there - and that between those assignments, he should easily play starter minutes, even if he doesn't start.

If Roy doesn't think we will use him that much, he (Roy) must be expecting a lot more out of Leaky/Sterling/Huff/Walker/BRob than we mere fans have seen so far.

I mean I'm willing to think that Leaky and BRob can play starter minutes and be good - even though neither of them played even 20 minutes in a game last season. But I've seen nothing to suggest Sterling or Huff can give ACC caliber play for more than 15 mpg, combined.

Roy gives a range of time in his presentations and the opportunity to compete for starter minutes. For example, Roy says something like " I see you getting anywhere from 15-25 minutes a game. How much minutes you get depends on your performance"

Word is his decision will be made tomorrow. We will know soon enough.

That sounds reasonable as a long term goal. But if I'm in his shoes, I'm probably thinking I can play for pay somewhere before I settle into an office job. And, who knows, maybe I'm just optimistic enough to think someone will give me a short shot in the NBA if I can prove myself at a top program.

Still, that's the most convincing argument I've heard that might see him in UNC blue without getting starter minutes.

Another thing he must consider is having the arguebly the best point guard in the country feeding him the ball.

I'll see if I can locate Pierce's quote after he had the phone call with Roy prior to the OV. It was not very encouraging from a playing time standpoint. Despite this, he came on the OV. Ask yourself why?

I'll see if I can locate Pierce's quote after he had the phone call with Roy prior to the OV. It was not very encouraging from a playing time standpoint. Despite this, he came on the OV. Ask yourself why?

I think all he said was Roy would take him if he wanted, but Roy still waiting on high school kids decisions (precious?), so he cant guarentee anything about playing time.

Reactions: gauchoheel
If he does not think he can beat out Robinson or Leaky for playing time then he shouldn't worry about showcasing himself next season for a pro career.

This is a pretty bad take. If Roy tells him he’ll be fighting for minutes behind guys who have been in this system, it would give him pause. Especially when Michigan is going to be pretty open. Not to mention, Roy had shown a propensity for deferring to upperclassmen in general. There’s being scared and then there’s being intelligent about your best prospects.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Can you give us the lowdown?

It's TOS premium info so it's kinda shitty to share it on a free board.

What I'll say is Steater is taking liberties with what this guy who says his "grandaughter is friends with Justin Pierce's girlfriend" is saying.

He didn't say "he doesn't want to play in the NBA". He said "he isn't sure he can play in the NBA". This guy also said playing time is a huge factor for Pierce, Steater said "I don't think playing time will be a factor".

He's kinda just misleading this board by spinning a positive UNC tilt to what this 3rd hand source is saying.

Pierce may still come to UNC but from the info we have right now, I'd say Michigan is the clear leader.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Keep in mind that Roy told him on the phone before the OV that he would have a limited role if he committed to UNC. Despite this, he still came on the OV.
No, this is not correct. Everyone keeps spinning the "Roy says he will be honest with me about my role" quote into "Roy says he will only play me backup minutes". They are not one and the same.

Reactions: DSouthr
I am really taken aback a bit about all the hand wringing concerning Pierce's decision. Decent player I suppose, but he was at W&M. And there for a reason. UNC already has guys at his size that are better athletes, that have already been in the system. He might be a capable emergency type player, but just don't see him playing a pivotal role.

I am really taken aback a bit about all the hand wringing concerning Pierce's decision. Decent player I suppose, but he was at W&M. And there for a reason. UNC already has guys at his size that are better athletes, that have already been in the system. He might be a capable emergency type player, but just don't see him playing a pivotal role.
Don't sell mid major players short. Misevaluations are made all the time. Gordan Hayward and Step Curry were mid major players. Make no mistake Pierce can help Carolina win games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT