ADVERTISEMENT

Kicking game

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
So far, the kicking game looks as if it could be a strength: long punts, deep kick offs, accuracy in extra points and FGs, and sound snapping.

Will the youth and inexperience stand up to the bright lights of game time? If so, that could prove a major help, especially early in the season.

Where are you hearing this? Everything thing I’ve heard indicates that the kicking game is a huge question mark. Have I missed evidence to the contrary? Sure hope so because special teams play is a crucial element of any team’s chances of success.

Reactions: franklin street
Who is projected to punt this season?
Ben Kiernan. Mack has said that punting practice has been moved outside because Kiernan hit the ceiling so often.

Kiernan is from Ireland, though he came to NC for a year or so of HS. Gaelic football is very much like, and the most obvious primary father of, Australian Rules football. So after all the success of Australians as punters, including at UNC, it makes sense that we'd have an Irish punter.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Ben Kiernan. Mack has said that punting practice has been moved outside because Kiernan hit the ceiling so often.

Kiernan is from Ireland, though he came to NC for a year or so of HS. Gaelic football is very much like, and the most obvious primary father of, Australian Rules football. So after all the success of Australians as punters, including at UNC, it makes sense that we'd have an Irish punter.
Just read a little about the scrimmage. A strong kicking game would be a huge plus for a team just feeling its way in new offensive and defensive systems.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
We have a transfer from App that will be kicking off and Mack said he’s consistently hitting it 7+ yds deep into the end zone. FG kicking seems to be a little more up in the air than kick offs and punts.

Gaelic football is very much like, and the most obvious primary father of, Australian Rules football.
Not exactly. Aborigines were playing football (marn grook) well before Europeans arrived. There is considerable disagreement about the extent to which marn grook influenced the rules of Australian football, which was codified 26 years before Gaelic football.

Where are you hearing this? Everything thing I’ve heard indicates that the kicking game is a huge question mark. Have I missed evidence to the contrary? Sure hope so because special teams play is a crucial element of any team’s chances of success.

We reported it in one of our practice reports. That's why you need to jump on premium. Get some free adidas gear while you're at it.

Reactions: TarHeelMark

Was he kicking it that high against lil Carolina?

Was he kicking it that high against lil Carolina?

No not from what I could tell on TV. He hit one or two nice ones but shanked one out of bounds and that last punt late in the 4th was kicked to the right when the coverage was all going to the left and it almost cost us with the huge return SCar got. I'd have to give him a C- (not that I'm a punting expert or anything).

Was awful tonight against Miami! Open tryouts at punter . Should not have tried long field goal in the 4th. I think it was 4th and 3. Go for it!

Punting game has to be better against serious competiton. If we give clemson the ball at the 40 every possession then they will beat us by 50

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT