ADVERTISEMENT

KJ Smith Jr to walk on.

Glad to see him living his dream...glad he's a Tar Heel, it will be fun to watch his growth and development. Quality addition to the team.

Not to hijack but between KJ and Shea are two kids I'd love to see early this season to check them out...both could be solid players.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Not to hijack but between KJ and Shea are two kids I'd love to see early this season to check them out...both could be solid players.
NO NO NO. Not Shea. IMO. I just don't know what anyone has seen in him to say he can help in a game. Practice maybe.

NO NO NO. Not Shea. IMO. I just don't know what anyone has seen in him to say he can help in a game. Practice maybe.

Let's all just ignore his statement so this thread doesn't go haywire like the other one.

Pumping up walk on's seriously needs to stop.

Reactions: gauchoheel

Rush showed nothing to suggest he'll be a solid player last year.

Transfer from Pacific. Will stiil have to sit out a year.

Remember reading about him in HS out of curiosity. Played at high-profile programs and transferred to IMG, I believe reclassified back as a late-bloomer. Doesn't seem to have his dad's "jets" but is no "practice player" either. Could develop into a solid backup PG for us.

Here's some IMG video action:
http://usatodayhss.com/2016/kenny-smiths-son-kj-shows-out-for-img-academy-at-national-prep-showcase

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Transfer from Pacific. Doesn't seem to have his dad's "jets" but is no "practice player" either. Could develop into a solid backup PG for us.

Don't you just love how the clowns on here will throw shade on a kid who isn't ranked top 50 in America?

KJ had a few "double-digit" games this past season at the D1 level, but yeah he just a practice player. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Some of these "so called fans" on this board are pretty damn quirky.

Just joined, 78 mssgs, as if you were at practice with the team all last season, geez people on this board are getting weirder.

According to the experts here, we will have 3 walkons on the roster who will help us and be much more then practice players.

Interesting.

Some of these "so called fans" on this board are pretty damn quirky.

Just joined, 78 mssgs, as if you were at practice with the team all last season, geez people on this board are getting weirder.

Well he's not wrong. When rush got into games last year in mop up time he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Well he's not wrong. When rush got into games last year in mop up time he ran around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Excuse me, Mr. Sunshine . . . how many times have you watched a game where the mop-up minutes were so exemplary of chemistry & precision.

Reactions: dgheel57 and gary-7
I saw a few good moves from Rush by the end of last season. Maybe that's all there is, or maybe that was a preview of more to come with practice and maturity. We'll probably know better after this coming year.

With Cam on board, we probably won't need Shea to be good this year. But before we had Cam I was thinking we might need either Rush or Rohlman to step up - both taller and a lot heavier than Brandon. I was actually thinking Aaron might be the guy to sub for Luke. Set screens, grab the occasional rebound. Seemed pretty solid in the few minutes he saw last season.

Excuse me, Mr. Sunshine . . . how many times have you watched a game where the mop-up minutes were so exemplary of chemistry & precision.

Not often because the skill level drops down about 8 steps from when the rotation guys are in, I'll grant you that.

Reactions: BillyL
According to the experts here, we will have 3 walkons on the roster who will help us and be much more then practice players.

Interesting.
...and you've been on here now, what, a little over 3 months? And you've provided exactly what (other than trolling)?

Folks are providing honest opinions. If you agree, fine... if you don't, fine. How about contributing something of substance to the discussion instead of just hijacking threads?

Your sarcastic use of the term "experts" aside, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to talent evaluation, so how about this?
- Shea is "awkwardly athletic" in that he is very explosive but is not smooth in his movements and body control. Kids like that can improve in those latter aspects, but the question is how much? He has a great attitude and could well work his way into being a rotation back-up his last year or two, or then again he may not. The point is don't be surprised either way.
- Walker, as I discussed yesterday (and @acarter0277 alluded to) is a late-growth-spurt kid whose body will need to catch up in strength, etc.. However, he is nicely skilled at his size with a good shooting touch. There is no reason (other than injury) he shouldn't help us on the court within his first couple of seasons once he goes through college strength and agility training and learns to bang around against stouter kids in practice. He likely would have played a good bit at Dartmouth this season, and can very well be ready to contribute at UNC with an extra year and 15 pounds under his belt.
- KJ was a very solid player at elite HS programs (Mater Dei, IMG), but doesn't have his dad's elite talent --- he is more of a "mid-major" kid as far as that goes and his scholarship offers (witness: Pacific). That being said, he is a legit college basketball player with decent skills, good basketball IQ and a good shot. As I said above he could well develop into a solid back-up rotation player for us down the road.

So there's my contribution. Have anything specific you wanna dispute with these evaluations?
Feel free...

I don't have the inclination to thoroughly scout and evaluate walk ons at unc-typically these guys at best play spot minutes and are there for practice support.

The fact that you feel the need to try and make them appear more than what they are by throwing around scouting lingo and trying to convince yourself and others that they will be more than that tells me all I need to know.

The only one I've seen is rush, and I recall last year during the summer many proclaiming him "more than a practice player" and using the same lingo you are now about these guys. I'll just say that if shea rush ever has to play meaningful minutes at unc we are in trouble-so there's my scouting report you requested.

With the news of multiple walk-ons lining up to play for the Heels I'm going to have to rethink my walk on plans for this year. Even at my advancing age I have a year of eligibility left and I was thinking of pulling the string this year. It looks like I may have to wait for another opportunity to open up. Worried that if I delay too long I may loose a percentage of my 1 inch vertical lift.

On a more serious note, it is good feeling to know how many kids are willing to work so hard with little reward other then being part of the family at UNC. I've always admire their contributions down the years.

With the news of multiple walk-ons lining up to play for the Heels I'm going to have to rethink my walk on plans for this year. Even at my advancing age I have a year of eligibility left and I was thinking of pulling the string this year. It looks like I may have to wait for another opportunity to open up. Worried that if I delay too long I may loose a percentage of my 1 inch vertical lift.

Gary's two accounts and Dave already have you as a pre-season All-American with that announcement.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I think he was referring to the fact that a few of us think that's your backup account on here.
That would be over-the-top dumb to even think I would have a "backup account" :confused: (thanks for the laugh though).
I seriously hope you aren't putting yourself in that category of actually believeing something that absurd.
46? Yes. You? C'mon man, you're smarter than that.

Don't you just love how the clowns on here will throw shade on a kid who isn't ranked top 50 in America?

KJ had a few "double-digit" games this past season at the D1 level, but yeah he just a practice player. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how many kids had multiple double-digit scoring games in D1 last year, but it's somewhere in the thousands.

Are there thousands of kids who would be more than a practice player at UNC, the defending national champion?

I don't have the inclination to thoroughly scout and evaluate walk ons at unc-typically these guys at best play spot minutes and are there for practice support.

The fact that you feel the need to try and make them appear more than what they are by throwing around scouting lingo and trying to convince yourself and others that they will be more than that tells me all I need to know.
Says it all right there :rolleyes:.
And if "scouting lingo" bothers you then I guess the obvious and only question remaining is why are you even on a basketball board?

Reactions: UNCFanforLife
To be fair @UNC-75 has some post moves that remind me of a young Hansbrough and handles similar to Ford.

For those of you with no sense of humor, this is a joke. Don't be so serious.
Thank you for your unbiased comments. If only I could get my YouTube highlight video to link up properly I could showcase those moves for all to marvel at. It's so difficult getting the old 8 mm Bell & Howell Zoomatic to convert to the modern internet forms of video.

Says it all right there :rolleyes:.
And if "scouting lingo" bothers you then I guess the obvious and only question remaining is why are you even on a basketball board?

You miss the point. Scouting lingo for the sake of making yourself sound intelligent about walkons who will be inconsequential to anything that happens on the court strikes me as hollow and banal.

Now talking about the projections for say a coby white or another recruit who will actually you know-play--is totally different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT