ADVERTISEMENT

Lakers HC

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
So JJ gets the nod with no experience. Like I needed more reason to dislikethe lakers. Maybe he can share with bron bron the correct way to berate the refs every play.

Reactions: Heelicious
Jason Kidd also had no experience.
As we all know, Hurley was the first choice though JJ’s name was always floated around. We are just annoyed because it’s a former Duke player.
As a Celtics fan, I’m glad our arch rival is in a situation where they can’t even lure a coach with a huge contract and have to settle for a controversial candidate.
As a Tar Heels fan, I am annoyed that the NBA is loaded with Dukies. It only makes them that much harder to recruit against.

As we all know, Hurley was the first choice though JJ’s name was always floated around. We are just annoyed because it’s a former Duke player.
As a Celtics fan, I’m glad our arch rival is in a situation where they can’t even lure a coach with a huge contract and have to settle for a controversial candidate.
As a Tar Heels fan, I am annoyed that the NBA is loaded with Dukies. It only makes them that much harder to recruit against.
Over the course of history, UNC is at the very top of many NBA charts regarding former players...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I can honestly say I think it’s laughable at the Lakers hire. Has nothing to do with dookies but the fact that it’s the best of the best league, the Lakers at that lol. Yes there has been others hired with little to no coaching experience but at least those few knew the game and others knew of that knowledge also. Kidd was a coach on the floor for years. JJ isn’t even good at analyzing games on espn, and that’s not even opinion lol.

Over the course of history, UNC is at the very top of many NBA charts regarding former players...
History is a long time. I was thankful to live through the “UNC pro team could beat the NBA all stars.”
That was 20 years ago. After Carter/Jamison, we have some role players here and there.
And Larry Brown was the last notable coach.
Things are different now, sadly.

Never have understood the Bron hate but this does complicate things for me! Not only a pukie, but on the Mount Rushmore of hated pukies! I am a LeBron fan and I follow the Lakers because of him, Shaq and Kobe! Now they have a puke-stained noob as a coach and I have to listen to how he has one of the best basketball minds in history ad nauseum! I'm at a loss because I would love to see the storied franchise regain its glory but I don't think I can cheer for a pukie to have success! Maybe I'll give the Hornets a try......but can I take their constant mediocrity??? Maybe Phoenix will draft Bronny, lure his father, and I can cheer for an untainted winner!

Reactions: bluetoe
Never have understood the Bron hate but this does complicate things for me! Not only a pukie, but on the Mount Rushmore of hated pukies! I am a LeBron fan and I follow the Lakers because of him, Shaq and Kobe! Now they have a puke-stained noob as a coach and I have to listen to how he has one of the best basketball minds in history ad nauseum! I'm at a loss because I would love to see the storied franchise regain its glory but I don't think I can cheer for a pukie to have success! Maybe I'll give the Hornets a try......but can I take their constant mediocrity??? Maybe Phoenix will draft Bronny, lure his father, and I can cheer for an untainted winner!
if you want to appreciate mediocrity, try being a Panthers fan. Mediocrity look pretty good from there.

Lakers are a poorly run franchise…Have been since Jerry West left…Now you got the Queen James running the show…Talk about not living up to the hype with the Lakers …They just can make the playoffs ever year and even that Bubble Title was a load of BS…

Now how they can even talk about drafting Brony….This kid has no business what so ever being talked about to get drafted….

Hell he wouldn’t even work out for certain teams…What a joke the NBA has become with load management and all the other BS…Talk about Privilege look no further…

NBA and NFL in NC both need to study how Hockey and Baseball manage to be competitive! I'm sick and tired of both franchises sucking so badly! I want to be a homer, but they just aren't worthy of support. The only time either is mentioned is when they have a player someone else wants and.......they always give them up!

I don't know how much coaching experience matters in the NBA. I don't think Steve Kerr had any experience on the sidelines. I could be wrong, but I thought he went from announcer to executive, then got fired, then became a head coach and instantly helped turn the Warriors into a dynasty. And he absolutely played a role in that. Mark Jackson couldn't get out of the first round and then Steve Kerr comes in and Steph Curry turns into an MVP and they win a championship in year one.

I'm interested in how this will turn out. He will likely fail because it seems most first-time head coaches end up failing (whether they have assistant experience or not). But this is at least interesting to me.

I know this isn't part of this conversation, but does any NBA head coach have any direct UNC ties anymore? Was George Karl the last one? It's even a select few in college too right?

I don't know how much coaching experience matters in the NBA. I don't think Steve Kerr had any experience on the sidelines. I could be wrong, but I thought he went from announcer to executive, then got fired, then became a head coach and instantly helped turn the Warriors into a dynasty. And he absolutely played a role in that. Mark Jackson couldn't get out of the first round and then Steve Kerr comes in and Steph Curry turns into an MVP and they win a championship in year one.

I'm interested in how this will turn out. He will likely fail because it seems most first-time head coaches end up failing (whether they have assistant experience or not). But this is at least interesting to me.

I know this isn't part of this conversation, but does any NBA head coach have any direct UNC ties anymore? Was George Karl the last one? It's even a select few in college too right?
Mark Jackson got that team rolling. Kerr fell into a championship team. Mark was slow going true, but improved each year. I don’t think it mattered too much who they picked up they were set to win. IMO mark j got screwed cause he didn’t believe or think politically like a lot of peeps out that way. Kerr fits that bill for sure.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
Mark Jackson got that team rolling. Kerr fell into a championship team. Mark was slow going true, but improved each year. I don’t think it mattered too much who they picked up they were set to win. IMO mark j got screwed cause he didn’t believe or think politically like a lot of peeps out that way. Kerr fits that bill for sure.
There's a reason Mark Jackson hasn't gotten a head coaching job since the Warriors. Within NBA front offices, he's viewed as someone who can't coach out of a paper bag. His political views are a pretty convenient excuse for a person not regarded as a good tactical mind.

There's a reason Mark Jackson hasn't gotten a head coaching job since the Warriors. Within NBA front offices, he's viewed as someone who can't coach out of a paper bag. His political views are a pretty convenient excuse for a person not regarded as a good tactical mind.
Well that’s one of the excuses they gave so nevertheless that’s on them. Still doesn’t change the fact of them firing a coach who improved every year.

Coaches have turned dysfunctioning teams into winners before:

Roy immediately succeeded with some of the strangest personalities in UNC history (win)
Chucky succeeded with teams T Dungy built-what did he do later, hmmmm (loss)
Kerr succeeded with M Jackson's team but built a dynasty (win)

Seems 2 out of 3 proved pretty dang good! Don't know nor care about the politics of any of them though!

I suppose it is really a moot point if King James is the de facto CEO anyway, JJ will defer.
There's a realistic possibility that next year is LeBron's final season. Unless he signs a 3-year contract, which would be really moronic for the Lakers to do. I don't think this move was about appeasing LeBron. Sure, LeBron has to be on board with the head coach (as does any NBA superstar past or present). But it isn't like LeBron has had his choice of head coach since he's gotten to LA. They see something in JJ Redick and unless LeBron sets out to play another 3-4 seasons in LA, then this is a longterm decision. Anthony Davis will also be a free agent in after the 2024-25 season.

At least I don't think LeBron has run coaches out of LA. Vogel got fired after a 33-49 year. Maybe controversial since LeBron got hurt but 33-49 gets you fired in many places. Luke Walton has proved to be a head coaching flop with or without LeBron. And I don't think anyone who actually watched the NBA can see what advantage Darvin Ham provides as a head coach. Not exactly the premium best basketball minds roaming LA's sidelines.

Maybe instead of blaming LeBron, some of the blame should go to the Lakers. Not paying enough for Ty Lue, Danny Hurley... Cheap crap like that gets you in a spot to gamble on a JJ Redick.

Well that’s one of the excuses they gave so nevertheless that’s on them. Still doesn’t change the fact of them firing a coach who improved every year.
Jackson also won a playoff series then the next year lost in the 1st round. Granted it was in 7 games, but people in the NBA have been fired for less.

Also, the improvement you're mentioning requires some context. Steph Curry played 26 games in his first year when they went 23-43. Then Steph got healthy the next year, played 78 games, and went 47-35. So sure, they improved. But it certainly helps if one of your best players actually plays.

They were also outside of the top 10 (12th the year before Jackson got fired) in offensive rating the two years Mark Jackson made the playoffs. So on a performance level, you can argue that they were underachieving offensively relative to the talent they had. In Steve Kerr's first season, they finish #1 in both offensive and defensive ratings. Unless all of those players suddenly became exponentially better, coaching had a significant part to it.

If JJ is as smart as peeps keep saying he is (already chose puke so that is questionable) then he will defer to LeBron and grow into the job with no accountability or pressure! Peeps already think JBJ is in charge so any failure would be on him and then GayGay can swoop in after he leaves and build for the future. But I really think peeps are way overboard with the LBJ control stuff!

Jackson also won a playoff series then the next year lost in the 1st round. Granted it was in 7 games, but people in the NBA have been fired for less.

Also, the improvement you're mentioning requires some context. Steph Curry played 26 games in his first year when they went 23-43. Then Steph got healthy the next year, played 78 games, and went 47-35. So sure, they improved. But it certainly helps if one of your best players actually plays.

They were also outside of the top 10 (12th the year before Jackson got fired) in offensive rating the two years Mark Jackson made the playoffs. So on a performance level, you can argue that they were underachieving offensively relative to the talent they had. In Steve Kerr's first season, they finish #1 in both offensive and defensive ratings. Unless all of those players suddenly became exponentially better, coaching had a significant part to it.
That’s my point also. They were better just from another years experience. It’s ok we can disagree. They win a chip with Jackson possibly a year after or same as Kerr. He built that team and got pissed on. And I do use the term built loosely lol.

There's a realistic possibility that next year is LeBron's final season. Unless he signs a 3-year contract, which would be really moronic for the Lakers to do. I don't think this move was about appeasing LeBron. Sure, LeBron has to be on board with the head coach (as does any NBA superstar past or present). But it isn't like LeBron has had his choice of head coach since he's gotten to LA. They see something in JJ Redick and unless LeBron sets out to play another 3-4 seasons in LA, then this is a longterm decision. Anthony Davis will also be a free agent in after the 2024-25 season.

At least I don't think LeBron has run coaches out of LA. Vogel got fired after a 33-49 year. Maybe controversial since LeBron got hurt but 33-49 gets you fired in many places. Luke Walton has proved to be a head coaching flop with or without LeBron. And I don't think anyone who actually watched the NBA can see what advantage Darvin Ham provides as a head coach. Not exactly the premium best basketball minds roaming LA's sidelines.

Maybe instead of blaming LeBron, some of the blame should go to the Lakers. Not paying enough for Ty Lue, Danny Hurley... Cheap crap like that gets you in a spot to gamble on a JJ Redick.
Report is the offer from LA for LeBron is 3 years 162 million I think. He may want to keep his options open, and take 1 year 55 million or so, but they are offering him the 3 year to run through age 41.

Report is the offer from LA for LeBron is 3 years 162 million I think. He may want to keep his options open, and take 1 year 55 million or so, but they are offering him the 3 year to run through age 41.
I missed that. It's pretty moronic IMO. But credit to LeBron, lol. I don't understand giving a player LeBron's age that much money. And I'm a big LeBron fan.

then I guess JJ Redick's future is more up in the air. Hard to call him a lame duck coach with a 4-year contract, but so is life in the NBA. The Lakers are paying like 3 coaches right now so they obviously don't mind having a fired head coach on payroll.

I missed that. It's pretty moronic IMO. But credit to LeBron, lol. I don't understand giving a player LeBron's age that much money. And I'm a big LeBron fan.

then I guess JJ Redick's future is more up in the air. Hard to call him a lame duck coach with a 4-year contract, but so is life in the NBA. The Lakers are paying like 3 coaches right now so they obviously don't mind having a fired head coach on payroll.
With Knecht falling all the way to 17 due to his age, he may give JJ and the Lake show some help in year 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT