ADVERTISEMENT

Mack on Mitch Mason

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
Before posting the quote let me tell you that Mitch Mason, UNC's team chaplain, is one of the nicest, finest people I have ever met. The spirit within him radiates when you're around him. I've walked away from every exchange with Mitch feeling so much better. His handshake, look in the eyes, smile, and positivity is rare and partly makes him a special person.

He has been sick for quite some time, and he isn't doing well at all. I won't say anymore because I honestly don't know more. But Mack said the following today toward the end of his opening statement following the win at UVA:

"And Mitch Mason wasn't feeling well, so this is the first game he's missed in our six years. So they FaceTimed him, gave him a game ball, and let him say the prayer from home. So again, Mitch is a valuable part of our program, because he's the spirit, he's the faith. To be told last night, 'Mitch isn't feeling well,' they're not stupid. They know he's not well. So I was so happy that Jeremy (Sharpe) hit him on FaceTime, and they could sing to him and with him and let him speak to them."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.